Speed Triple S & Rs Technical Bulletin From Triumph Uk

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Gilbert, Jun 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hi All,

I own a Tiger 1050 as well as a new S3RS which I am currently prepping with a few mods etc prior to use. I was looking at a few posts on the Tiger1050 Forum when I came across a "sticky" containing important information about oil changes. My initial reaction was disbelief and I thought I must be reading B.S but attached to the post was a copy of an official technical bulletin released by Triumph to the dealers and whilst the Bulletin only applies to the latest 1050 engine as fitted to the Speed Triple S & RS, the Tiger guys were getting all steamed up wondering if they had perhaps damaged their engines by changing their oil in the conventional manner.
    It seems that changes have been made to the later generation of engine such that the procedure for the oil change is potentially critical in order to avoid engine damage.
    The procedure is as follows
    1. Drain oil
    2. Remove and dispose of oil filter

and here's the weird bit . . .
    3 Replace sump plug and tighten to 25nm before refilling with oil and then . . .
    4. Smear a thin coat of oil to the sealing ring of the oil filter and now replace the filter and tighten to 10nm

It seems that replacing the filter before refilling with oil can result in the formation of an airlock within the oil pump such that it fails to develop oil pressure and can lead to catastrophic failure on engine start.
    This service bulletin was released over a year ago and seems utterly bizarre to me - apologies if you guys already know about it but it is news to me!!!
    See attached but note, there are two pages and they appear in reverse - scroll down half way for page one and then back up to the top for page two - they must have been scanned in the wrong order.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That was brought to our attention last year. I’m pretty sure that TSB has been out for quite a while now. I was informing my dealer of this last year when I had my first speed triple.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thanks Steve - I suspected you guys must know but it came as a complete surprise to me and to my mind at least, a good reason to service the bike myself.
    It would seem the problem doesn’t always happen but if this is a peculiarity of this single engine, it would seem inevitable the dealers will ultimately forget or employ new technicians who won’t know about it and random bikes will get damaged on first engine start after an oil change. Not good . . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sometimes it seems the dealer is the last to know. My dealer had no idea, not that I’d have them do the oil change anyway. Thanks for posting, as some people and dealers may not know.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Which is very worrying.
    I received my gloss bodywork back today and I'm thrilled with it - a fabulous job. I will post some pictures later.
    Have also ordered a Dimple plug for the sump and so plan to drain and fit that as soon as it arrives . . . . must remember to do it all in the correct sequence. The bike hasn't been ridden yet so the oil can go into a clean container and straight back in the bike.

• Like Like x 1