Speed Triple Rs Traction Control

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bg357, Aug 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Had a quick 50 mile ride tonight, was is in the fast twisty ride mode (whatever they call that lol). Traction control light flashing a few times in 2nd and 3rd. Has anyone tried track mode or off on the road? Might try it tomorrow night but thought a few opinions before I test it

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I tend to leave mine in normal road mode and disable the traction control most of the time.
    The throttle's not so jerky but it'll still put all the power down.

It's much more fun, make sure you're concentrating on your throttle control though, wheelies off the throttle in first and second easily! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    My last 1000 didn't have TC so I will give it a go tonight. TC makes you a bit lazy

4. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I ride with mine off on occasion just to hoon around. It's kind of a pain in the ass to turn off though...I wish you could do it while riding. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a way to change the default mode so that would be nice as well.

5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I tried it turned off on some bumpy hilly country roads and nearly flipped the bike in 3rd gear hammering along over crests. Lefty it off since - actually the wheelying seems to hinder acceleration when hammering it !

6. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    I think you can ride faster / harder with it on, rack mode or sport. I have it set off in rider mode but found this afternoon you do ride slower just because it will spin up or wheelie. In track mode for the TC in user mode and sport ABS it's seriously quick as the TC light flickers you can still press on really hard, great fun. I can't ride as hard on my 3 year old fireblade with no aids!

7. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Does anyone know if the RS has wheelie control? Preventing the bike to flip sort of thing?
    Also, I’ve tried it in track mode, and the TC still kicks in to prevent wheelies! Am I doing something wrong? I’m not sure what “OCABS off” means when in track mode. Any thoughts ? Thanks

8. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Ocabs is the cornering imu ABS it doesn't have anti wheelie but if you switch TC off in rider mode and corner Abs ie same as in sports mode then the bike will lift the wheel easily

9. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    It doesn't have wheelie control, but TC acts like it. I believe TC measures the wheel speed of both wheels and doesn't allow much variation between the two, so when your front wheel starts to lift it slows down therefore making TC kick in and not letting you wheelie. Though if you do it fast you can wheelie for a second or two before it kicks in.

10. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    I guess after a couple of days of testing out the settings is all fairly simple TC on you can fly without falling off the back, and for a regular rider not a BSB rider is quick than TC off and having to adjust to keep the wheel on the floor. However you want to ride its a brilliant bit of kit and I'm glad for one I bought one

11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I like to use throttle control on mine rather than relying on TC to make me faster, it works well and means I can ride my Bonnie as well, which has none of these safety aids :p:D

12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    My Street RS had abs/tc etc, you could literally pin the throttle to the stop while bike was still on it's side and it would just make rapid progress without any drama, never tried doing this with tc switched off though.
    Now I have changed to a KTM RC8 which has no rider aids whatsoever & wouldn't dream of trying to pin it while cranked over!
    I think that the riders aids and gizmo's are great but get on a bike without any without adjusting and it may bite you, in short the gizmos make is easier for every level of rider to go faster safer.
    That said, one of the most exhilarating bikes I ever owned was a GSX-R1000K5, this was the last one with no switchable modes or TC.
    It had 170bhp at the rear wheel, at 9000 rpm is went mental, it would spin its rear wheel on the exit of 3rd gear corners and wheelie at the slightest whiff of heavy handed throttle or over any crest in the road, not for everyone I know, in the end I crashed it, not a high-side as I always feared but a low-side slide induced by a carrier bag on the road ... bag for life anyone?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I found the Traction Control in Sport was holding me back when giving the bike a good flogging. The RS wasn't keen on being heavily manhandled and forced hard into corners, getting it all a bit 'loose' wasn't really the thing for this bike. A certain amount of finesse is required to get the best from it? I found I was running slightly wide in some corners when I could least afford to as the TC was cutting in and I was losing momentum?
    Might be to do with the Super Diablo Corsas which I don't find as good as everyone says they are on the road, bit squirmy? I will change to a more road oriented tyre, Michelin Power RS or the like which I think will give more stability on road surfaces that are not perfect?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Well hopefully cant be worse than the SCs as I only got 3k miles including the running in (which I did carefully) Front nearly gone at 4 k .... Some feedback on other tyres would be good - maybe a tyre thread .... The S21s did very well in a recent Performance Bikes review , anyone tried these ?

15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    There is a tyre thread, the title is for 2012/2013 model speed triples I believe but there is some good feedback from owners who have tried different tyres. It’s a very difficult subject to subscribe to as we all ride differently, use our bikes for different things and have different opinions on the same tyres. I used up the m7rrs fairly quickly, about 3.5k IIRC, and now have Metzeler Roadtec 01’s on. They are presently on 5.5k and have done two long trips into Europe with a good couple of thousand miles left in them. I suspect you may want a sporty tyre as opposed to a more touring tyre but I’ve never run out of grip in the dry or wet (not much wet use I have to admit) and will be having the same again.

16. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Just had my second set of M7RR's fitted, managed to get 6k miles out of them but they were down to the wear bar and starting to feel a bit strange.

17. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    also had M7RRs on my old R1 trip to IOM and one to Assen lot of motorway miles but still looked like new no squaring off and still stuck like poo to a blanket will be changing to them again once super corsas are dead ,also I think Metzler are giving away a pair of RST gloves with a pair of tyres

18. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Don't hold you breath for the gloves, it's only while stocks last, I've been told XXL are out of stock, supposed to be sending me XL (they might fit with a bit of wear) but no sign of them so far. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Speedy Steve'o RS

Speedy Steve'o RS New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Stansted England
    I managed to get 4500 miles out of the power RS on my street triple
    Which I thought was quite good for a performance tyre
    Bloody cracking in the wet too compared to the SPs :)

• Like Like x 1