Speed Triple Ohlins Adjustment

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mark McDaniel, May 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark McDaniel

Mark McDaniel Member

Nov 29, 2018
    newthorpe
    Getting a few miles on my Triple R, so wanting to get the ohlins set up correctly.

Does anyone have an easy step by step guide or is it just a matter of just moving the 2 knobs about untill it feels about right. The ohlins were one of the reasons i went for the R, so want to get them set up correctly IMG_20190430_163947_resized_20190507_073429253.jpg

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I would get the sag and the suspension set up professionally, I think I was £90.00 to get this done,
    or you can do what I've done in the past and just turn the knobs all the way one way ride it, then turn them all the other way ride it then you will have an idea which way to go!
    ,i can never tell any difference just turning it 1 or 2 clicks at a time to begin with

3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    hi there,
    I've set mine up to the soft setting that was in the owners book and it's a lot more "forgiving" on the wrists. I went from a firmer setting to it. 3mm key and a spanner has made it better, for sure.
    I'm not a track guy btw but its made it great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Please don’t just turn the knobs and ride it, whatever you do! There’s two things you can do, first one is do some research yourself and find out how to do it properly it’s really not that hard. Secondly, you can go to a professional and have it done. There are no other safe and logical options than those two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mark McDaniel

Mark McDaniel Member

Nov 29, 2018
    newthorpe

6. Mark McDaniel

Mark McDaniel Member

Nov 29, 2018
    newthorpe
    Hello

I will not be using it on track, so just road settings.

When you say the softer setting, and 3 mm key and spanner. Can you describe the procedure. I thought you just turned the 2 knobs and that was it. Also, the front, what is the procedure for setting up the front.

7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I tried mine on the comfort setting that the suspension would dive too much when braking and squat too much when accelerating. So I’ve gone back to the road settings, much better. My weight by the way is 13 stones.

8. Mark McDaniel

Mark McDaniel Member

Nov 29, 2018
    newthorpe
    Yes, that is why i am asking on here, rather tha just turning the knobs and hoping for the best.

Not planning on getting it set up by a pro, as want to understand how to do it myself. Im not a track rider, so not looking for perfection.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Don’t forget the very important step of setting sag. This is rider weight specific and will have an impact on your suspension if not set correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    May I suggest watching Dave Moss as he is one of the best in the business. Lots of YouTube videos

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    I used the manual as the default settings are in there.
    Be aware that is soooo easy to look at the s model settings by accident!
    I set up my xdiavel to dave moss's guide (as steveRS has said) and yes, it made a difference .
    However, as a start, stick it on the default as a base.
    The manual link is below!
    https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/services/manuals

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    i'm 13 stones too btw BUT i've a knackered scaphoid and a very wobbly/rattily brain!

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Preload settings can be adjusted to get your ride height optimised.
    Typically you want ride height to be at ~ 1/3rd of your suspension travel. This influences the bikes geometry, not the hardness of the ride, so so is probably already ok.

For damper adjustment see thread:- “time to get suspenders sorted” post 7.
    The owners manual guides you on recommended damper settings and how to adjust them.
    My Speed Triple R is a 2014 version. In my user manual the damper settings are different to the figures on post 7 referred to for later models, but having twiddled and adjusted mine over 12000 miles of ownership I have yet to improve on the “sport” settings in my owners manual.
    I suggest you follow your owners manual guide.
    Try comfort in the wet, sport in the dry and keep track for track. (It shook my teeth loose) You’ll soon experience the influence of the damper settings and find a setting suitable for you.
    It’s all good fun and ultimately down to personal preference.
    Taff.

14. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I agree with taff also as, unless you get it professionally set up, the trumpet pro's probably know what a good base is and as a start, is pretty sweet.
    However, In the manual, it does actually say in the book that the rear preload is not to be adjusted....
    However, its your bike!
    copy and paste below....
    Spring Preload - All Models Warning The rear suspension unit spring preload is not rider adjustable. Any attempt to adjust the spring preload could result in a dangerous riding condition leading to loss of control and an accident.

15. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Yeah I read that too but I have adjusted both my front and my rear preload to get my ride height as “right” as poss.
    Didn’t need much and probably made no significant difference.
    The knobs are there to be twiddled eh?
    I agree with Mark as I got into this to understand it too.
    Taff

16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. jonnib71

jonnib71 New Member

May 9, 2019
    east sussex
    Settings in the handbook I noticed, worth a look at. Depends what you want from the suspension, compliance or racey?

18. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    I found this in pb nov 18.
    Rutter around donington.
    Speed and street track setup.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Good info! Those settings were for track use and of course sag settings static. Probably ease off for the road. I did set my static sag to 15mm
    as I prefer a faster steering bike, but went in between standard settings and theirs on the damping based on how the bike felt on the road. If its a bit choppy, ease off, if its a bit wallowy accelerating on a bumpy corner tweak it up... down to personal taste, but best start a the standard settings for a safe handling set up.

20. Racingrash

Racingrash New Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Johannesburg
    I find the Sag information interesting. Michael Rutter weighs 73kg and is 1,88m tall (if we can believe https://networthroll.com/blog2/michael-rutter-net-worth/) and the Ohlins TTX36 manual says the following:

Recommended Measures

If no other recommendations are given in the

Mounting Instructions follow the measures

below:

Free sag (R1-R2), (F1-F2) Bike Weight only

Rear 5-15 mm

Front 20-30 mm

Ride height (R1-R3), (F1-F3) Bike and Rider Weight

Rear 25-35 mm

Front 30-40 mm

This suggests the front sitting lower than the rear, unlike what Dave Moss likes to do, which is the get the bike neutral front and rear (something like 25-35mm track and 30-40mm road) and then to see you much the front forks bottom out under breaking.