Speed Triple Luggage - Looking For A Tailpack.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Gled, May 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Hey

I’m in the market for luggage for my 2016 Speed Triple.
    I’m planning some short trips in the UK with maybe a one or two night stop overs.
    I don’t fancy fitting a top-box or panniers so I’m looking for soft luggage.
    Seeing as I’m travelling in the UK it will need to be reasonably water proof.
    I think a 30 or 40 litre tail-pack is what I need for a little light touring.
    I don’t fancy a tank-bag due to concerns over scratching the paintwork, is this unfounded?
    What are the views among the members?
    Any feedback on your experience with luggage would be much appreciated.
    I’m interested in:
    1. Quality of construction
    2. Water resistance
    3. Practicality
    4. Ease of use
    5. Suitability for Speed Triple fitment

Thanks in advance.

Gled.

2. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    • Like Like x 1
  3. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Kriega,expensive but good.
    As already said Tanklock for your tank bag.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    I took a punt and bought a set of Lock-Straps a while ago. Really impressed.
    I also have the Triumph grab-rail installed so that’s a bonus

Never heard of the Ortlieb kit. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks MattP

5. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    I was wondering about this because I have a waterproof roll-top bag from Aldi. I could just bungee this on I guess.

Thanks Dozers Dad.

6. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    MattP

Does the Tank-lock bag require you to remove the filler cap?

Gled

7. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Andy C

I’ve looked at the Kriega kit and it does look top-notch. I don’t mind paying the premium if it’s good kit. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gled.

8. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    No, there is a clip at the side so you can lift it off to fill up

9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I use a lomo dry bag and/or a day sack (rucksack) strapped onto the pillion seat in front of the top box on my Tiger, saves fitting the panniers which nearly double the width of the bike :eek:
    I’ve found lomo products to be excellent quality and very competitively priced :)

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Dry-Bags.html

• Like Like x 2
  10. GregR

GregR New Member

May 20, 2017
    Guernsey, Channel islands
    Have you got any photos you can post of the givi 307 on your bike, I've been looking at the xs307 as an option but wonder if it would be too tall/big on the tank, I gather that it's capacity is 15ltr expanded and around 10 ltr.

11. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Thanks Tiglet,

That’s +2 for the Lomo kit.

Gled.

12. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Here are three pics. The 307 for trips and the XS319 I use daily. The position of the 307 is adjustable, I've put a photo of the base, mine is on the next to the furthest back position for sat nav clearance.

Tanklock1.jpg

Tanklock2.jpg

Tanklock3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. GregR

GregR New Member

May 20, 2017
    That's great many thanks, gives me a fair idea and a good point about the Satnav. If i go with the Givi tankloc option I might go for the smaller size bags, there's 3 and 4 litre bags in the Givi range. What screen have you got on your bike?, it doesn't look like the Triumph fly screen

14. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    The bag in the middle picture is 3 litres and carries all you need, really, if you have a reasonably sized bag strapped to the pillion seat.

The screen is a Puig new generation, available in a number of different tints and works very well for me, although I am only 5' 6", it might be a different story if you're over 6'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Triumph-Sp...9046318&device=c&campaignid=1058607774&crdt=0

• Like Like x 2
  15. GregR

GregR New Member

May 20, 2017
    Thanks once again, the screen looks interesting and I hadn't seen that one before. I have the Triumph screen which looks great but I'm planning a trip to France for the end of August and a slightly taller screen might just be a bit better, looks quite good too, I'm 5'8" so probably would be much the same for me as it is for you

16. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I use kriega good quality water proof kit and on my 2009 ST there are hooks under the seat to suit IMG_3610.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Thanks for the pics Matt. I really didn’t fancy a tank-bag because of previous experience with magnetic ones and paintwork scratches.
    This type with the filler cap attachment avoids this risk so I’ll reconsider tank bag luggage.

PS nice bike. Grey ones are the fastest

Cheers,
    Gled

18. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Thanks Clarkey

When I started this thread, that is the kind of rig I had in mind.

What are the Kreiga models you have there?

TIA
    Gled

19. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    My brother has got a tuono and givi do a great tail pack which is enough for a week away, lovely bit of kit

CABDFBCA-1787-4ED0-A401-81E0B6939FC7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    +1 for Kriega for the rear and Givi tank lock for the front.

Kriega US10 are great for odds-and-sods, US20 is plenty for daily laptop/shoes/trousers/jumper/notes that would otherwise be too heavy on my back. Smaller US10 can be stacked on top, or 2 can be attached to the sides.
    You can get Ducati Diavel frame loops that secure through the subframe bolts for a very stable setup.

Givi tank ring requires removing (four?) bolts from tank filler, then ring goes on top using supplied longer bolts. No scratches and easier to remove at petrol stations and your destination.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Hi
    I have a 30L and a 10L but you can always add to it
    I'm planning a trip next year to the Manx so I'm buying another 10L these will then attach each side of the 30 L if I need more I can then add to the top of 30L this can then be taken off in a couple of minutes when you arrive at you destination lift your seat up tuck away the straps under the seat hey presto a cool looking bike no ugly racks

• Like Like x 1