Speed Triple Forks

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by janner, May 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. janner

janner New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    South Devon
    Hi i have a 2012 speed triple in black (best color BTY:biggrin:) and want to change the colour of the forks as im not so keen on the standard bronze?. I know the earlier models had black forks and i dont know why triumph changed them on the newer models.

Id like some ideas on how to achieve this. I have considered powder coating but frankly im lazy and really dont want to remove the forks wheels etc. Also am unsure if it could be done as they bake the powder in an oven to cure it and dont know if this will affect fork oil, seals etc.

So any ideas will be most welcome cheers:upyeah:

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    If you went for powder coating you would have to strip them right down remove all seals and then send them in. A lot of work but the best and most resilient finish...
    I would get them sprayed & lacquered personally, go to your local body shop they may even do them on the bike......
    Last option is Plasti dip.. spray it on and when you get bored peel it off...... simple easy and cheap.....

What ever you decide to do, you have to be aware that where the triple clamps clamp down they may damage any paint on the forks.

3. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I think powder coating would be the best way forward it might be a bit of a pain taking it all apart but will give a much better finish, the other options are things like anodizing or painting but you will need to strip the seals etc out for that too.

4. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Sorry Screwball I only just read your reply! Basically I agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    No problem Spanky...
    Thinking about this the cheapest option is a pack of Sharpies......

The bronze is anodised so very little work to rub it down...
    Just how much £££ and how far you want to go.....

Black chrome may be a good look actually pretty great I think....but again it's a strip down job....
    How much ou want o spend... Painting will be cheapest real world option...after the sharpies and plasti dip of course.....

6. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Seriously? I had a brake reservoir cover that had been anodised with a blue dye finish, rubbed at it for ages with wire wool & it didnt even touch it mate. Sandpaper, if it removes the bronze finish will scratch fuck out of the forks which will result in even more graft polishing the scratches out. Nitromors did fuck all either.
    However.... Caustic soda crystals with warm water & literally dip it in for seconds & the dye is gone! Leaves it with a dull natural finish which can then be polished up to a brilliant shine....

Anodised blue...

View attachment 1041

Natural finish after 10 seconds in a warm caustic soda solution...

View attachment 1042

A quick bit of polishing with Autosol & buffing attachment...

View attachment 1040

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Painting could easily look a mess though unless its done properly. Black chrome would look good

8. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    Anodise is usually used to for its chemicals resistant properties which is probably why it was harder than a whores heart. Never thought of caustic soda crystals though, looks better polished than blue Pig!

9. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    I wanted a polish reservoir cover but didnt fancy paying £30 for one, got a blue one second hand for £5. The less popular coloured (blue, green, purple) anodised goodies sell cheap as on ebay second hand so you can save yourself a fortune!

• Like Like x 1
  10. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
  11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I meant for painting, not too polish it up... You only need a scratch coat and then prep with thinner and Taki cloth to make srue dust & crap are not left on surface.....

12. janner

janner New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    South Devon
    Bloody hell thats impressive whod have thought caustic soda.Im gonna have a go on some cheepo ebay levers ive got ,I like the polished cover. Dont think paint is the way to go but i have been looking at the plastidip stuff and i might give it a go i like the idea that if it looks pants i can just peel it off. cheers for the imput guys.

13. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Painting or powder coating forks is not really how you coat fork legs - and impossible whilst on the bike. They should be anodised. Either way, they have to be completely stripped down. Painting may also cause issues with thickness and will definitely cause issues when clamped back into the yokes as it's a layer deposited on top of the fork legs so sits between the leg and clamps - not good.

Get them anodised. Its pretty cheap and looks best I think.

14. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Why not just get a local sign writer / vehicle graphics company to 'wrap' them in vinyl? I'm considering doing it to my Speed - got a good mate who does all my work vans - he's done the bonnet of his new motor and it looks the dogs danglies! :upyeah: