Speed Triple Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Samz, Sep 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Was out to day on my 2010 speed triple, after 50 miles or so stopped and when trying to restart the battery was flat. The battery is only a couple of weeks old. Manage to push to a friends and put it on charge. Charged up no probs and started but when testing it with a multi metre found no charge going to the battery.
    So thinking regulator or alternator?
    Anyone had similar issues? Any tips or advice appreciated.
    Thanks, sams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Samz
    Seems like it. Been a few Triumphs on here suffering similar failures. Some very helpful reads on the subject just can't remember which ones. Sorry.
    Regards
    Joe.

3. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Checked out the rectifier with a multimeter and it seemed ok. Checked the stator and was getting nothing but one rotors looked blackened so gonna fit a new one.
    Fingers crossed.

4. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Ordered a new stator from M&P. Took it out of the box and was immediately unimpressed with the quality. Closer inspection revealed it was Chinese. Tried fitting it but it wouldn’t fit onto the cover. I don’t want to “persuade “ it on in case the cover breaks. I will have to get in touch with M&P, no doubt they will say return it (at my expense) for a refund/replacement.
    Anyone used any alternate suppliers, preferably better , none Chinese quality? Every thing seems to be through eBay, probably all the same item.
    Well pissed off, was hoping to get to Scarborough this weekend for the racing. No chance now.
    Any advice appreciated.

5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Stator and reg/rec failures do seem very common on Street and Speed Triples. I know of someone on the Street Triple forum who recommended these people after trying the cheaper versions

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=triumph 1050 triple speed&PN=G955.html#SID=200

I can't guarantee that this is the exact item you need - or that it is going to last any longer than the aftermarket item, but you can, apparently get overnight delivery so maybe Scarborough isn't entirely out of the question.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    what test did you do on the stator?? was it resistance or did you test voltage with motor running??

7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Electrexworld get my vote
    I have used them to replace rectifiers and stators before and are of top quality

8. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Just resistance,

9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Yes. I was stranded once. My voltage regulator was shot. One of the voltage regulators jobs is to dissipate heat. They just 'cook' over time. Most probably the problem.

10. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Tested the regulator and all seemed well, which leaves me thinking it’s the stator. The location of the regulator isn’t good, right behind the engine getting no cooling air! No wonder they “cook”.
    Returned the sh1t stator from China back to M&P. When I called them I got, as expected, “ we’ve sold plenty with no problems”. He also tried to tell me they were from California so I had to point out that it said made in China on the box! Hopefully a refund will on its way soon.
    I’ve ordered one from Electrex who sounded knowledgeable and they actually make them!
    Hopefully here Monday so no Scarborough but the weather ain’t looking good anyway.
    Thanks for the heads up Adie p.

• Informative Informative x 1