Speed Triple - Best Tyres?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Dumpers, Dec 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dumpers

Dumpers New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Shefford
    Hi all, I’m new to the forum, hope you can help.

I ride a 2014 Speed Triple, I currently have PR4’s on her, I generally ride all year round, however she is currently on the stands, as the weather is really crap and it’s not overly enjoyable sliding round on greasy roads!!

Reading previous reviews, M7RR’s are a popular choice.....any other recommendations? Looking for reasonable life and sporty ride.......

Thank you in advance!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I've got no experience on your bike mate but on my Aprilia's I use Bridgestone T30's which are a great all rounder with good grip and tyre wear (as you would expect from a sports tourer).
    Like most sports tourers now the only real difference is that the centre is a harder compound so takes slightly longer to heat up but the sides are still of a nice grippy compound so, in my opinion, a great option for anyone who likes a spirited road ride with a decent wear rate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi Dumpers, welcome to the forum. There have been many posts about tyres, check the search facility, you may find what you are looking for there. Inevitably you will get as many opinions on tyres as there are brands of tyres themselves. Enjoy the bike when the weather improves, oh, and fit some Metzeler Roadtec 01’s, good grip at lean and excellent mileage , my rear tyre is just ready for changing after 7,000 miles. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

If your happy with the PR4's, go PR5's. Got on my Tuono, very impressed. Good mileage and grip, wet and dry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dumpers

Dumpers New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Shefford
    Thanks for your responses guys, I was considering PR5’s.......May be the tyre of Choice!! Cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Dumpers

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2 (1).gif

4394.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Think they are currently the best all-round tyre on the market. I hated pr2's , so I'm no Michelin fan-boy.

If you are looking for a really good fast tyre , the Michelin RS's are very good. Mileage not so good, but grip is excellent, wet and dry.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I had a pair of Avon storm 3D fitted to my 15 plate Speedy earlier this year and have to say I'm very pleased with them, good all round grip and meant to be quite hard wearing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Avon used to give you an extra MM or so of tread depth, don't know if they still do. I used to swear by the old Storm 2's. They were a great tyre.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    They do seem to have quite deep tread patterns, it's the first pair of Avon's I've tried after favouring Metzlers on my last couple of bikes and wouldn't hesitate to fit them again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Maybe should experiment with a new tyre to you, after all what feels good to one person may not suit you.
    Plus I cannot remember when the last time I rode a bike with truly crap tyres, and I’ve had a few

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Got Avon Storms on my Trident. Good handling, good grip (little or no chicken strip on the back tyre) and well priced.
    There was a time when you had new tyres fitted to your new Japanese bike before it ever got the chance to get out on the road. Usually TT100s or Avon Roadrunners were the tyre of choice. Jap tyres at that time were total crap and not worth the risk.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I can.

D220 Dunlop
    BT023.
    PR2.
    Metzeler - as fitted oe on the America.

D220, oe on SV650 front was like black mahogany. No feel at all.
    BT023 dropped like a stone into corners, frightening.
    PR2 moved around like jelly, hated it.
    Metzelers on the America were just lethal. Wet weather performance was so poor is was scary, and tramlined more than a feckin tram.

All horrible.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It all relative to how you feel and ride, someone told me Dunlop D208’s were lethal, they came Standard on my 06 ZX10R. They were spot on for me.
    I was also told Michelin pilot sport were crap, I never had a single reason not to use them again
    Don’t use Pirelli Supercorsa on the road,absolutely awesome on the 675R.
    So it’s all about the way they feel for the individual, not other riders.
    What suits you may not suit me and visa versa

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    These are on my Thruxton, bottle rings are fairly small and they’re great 91C159B8-68CE-43EC-B63A-562934D370FE.jpeg , I don’t even know what they are but someone will hate them

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    My Mille came with D207RR's as standard.......horrible, slid over white lines, no feel and no confidence. Got rid of them after a couple of hundred miles, best thing I did to that bike o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    And that’s exactly what my point is, I had them on a GSXR1000k3 and loved them, what suits one bike and rider is crap for another

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #18 Glyn Phillips, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Front Dunlop slick used all day on track still had masses of grip at least six people on track that day said Dunlop’s were shite. They’re on a 675r

9426E7F0-8240-4947-B57E-D03218028972.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Look like Pirelli Angel GT. Brilliant tyre. Once rode south on my Gixxer into Ullapool in a storm. Absolutely hammering it down. Nearly had my knee down on the bends near Kylesku bridge !!! :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  21. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Certain tyres suit certain people and bikes. Just because some people say tyre A is shite doesn't make it so.

When everyone says tyre A is shite, they may be onto something. The Metzelers on the America were truly awful, but I've heard people think the're great. May well be in a straight line and in the dry and never pushed. Doesn't make them any good tho.

I ride all bikes I've had pretty hard (too hard in the case of the America), and only when pushed hard can you make a true judgement.

Looking at your slick, been pushed hard , so you can make a judgement on that tyre. Maybe it needed to be, before it worked?

Horses for courses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2