Speed Triple 955i

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by michael peacock, Jun 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields
    hi there. my 955i speed triple may need e replacement ecu. will anyone fit from any 955i engine( daytona/sprint or tiger) and what do i need to look out for numbers etc. any help will be appreciated , thanks

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You need to look for the MC number, either a 1000 or 2000 and match it to what you’ve got. Depending on the model year of your bike it’ll be one of those, and you’ll find them on all the 955s.
    I’ve just seen your other post about the bike not starting, must have missed that when you posted. Is that why you’re looking for another ECU?

3. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields

4. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields
    hi there . the bike is in the local bike shop and they said that there is no reason it shouldnt start as they say theyve checked everything but that it could be the ecu. a brand new one costs £1100 . the bike is 21 years old so dont really want to be spending that much on the bike. theyre going to phone me on monday but if i need a new ecu then a second hand one will have to do. my bike is a 1999 speed triple 955i efi. love the bike best bike ive had. would hate to see it go. its been totally reliable up till now. will keep your info to hand if and when i have to get an ecu. cheers

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    You'll need a Sagem MC2000 unit. One from any of the 955cc injection bikes up to 1999 should do it, but you'll have to change the map if it's not for your exact bike. It's easy enough with TuneECU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields
    i got another ecu and the garage fitted it. no luck the bike wont start up. its still turning over rapidly all electrics have checked out . garage have had it 3 weeks now and they still dont know why it wont start. the alarm was taken off 6 years ago and ive had no bother until now. anyone got any ideas

7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    A Spark ignition engine needs: Fuel / Spark / Air supply to run properly

start.gif

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Why not post a thread to see if there’s a member near you who’s willing to have a look for you and offer a helping hand. They may have more knowledge specific to your Triumph than the garage you’re using.
    It sounds like it needs a methodical check through the wiring and a Tuneecu diagnostic check.
    If I were a little closer I’d help :grinning:

9. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    That was a ridiculous suggestion by your 'shop' to install a replacement ECU because it 'might' be that with absolutely nothing to go on
    First thing I would do is put the original back - you don't even know if the replacement has the correct map or even it's condition, so go back to at least what you had originally and only replace the ECU if/when you can prove it to have a problem

Is the Neutral Light on?
    The ECU MUST see EITHER the Neutral Signal OR the side-stand UP - if you have no Neutral Light (even if transmission itself is in Neutral), or it's flakey, raise the side-stand and try again

When you turn on the Key, do you hear the Fuel Pump run (for about 3 secs)? (it should repeat this behaviour if you flip the Kill/Run to Kill and back to Run again)

Have you (or anyone) checked for spark or fuel?
    Are the Plugs wet? Do they spark when removed and observed with engine cranking?

Have Coils And Injectors been checked for 12V supply at their connectors?

If you remove the TOP fuel hose (ONLY!!) from the pump do you get fuel pumping from it when you first turn on ignition and again when cranking the engine?

These are fundamentals that any competent shop should be able to determine.
    If it's a non-Triumph shop or shade-tree, get it out of there and find someone who knows their way around Triumphs.

One of the elements I would check if you have confirmed Neutral Light and Pump running at key on and 12V supply at the coils and injectors would be the Crank Position Sensor

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields

11. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields
    hi there got it sorted eventually. turns out it was the crankshaft sensor. got a replacement an it fired up straight away. thanks for the advice it helped. cheers, mick peacock

• Like Like x 1
  12. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields
    hi there got it sorted eventually. turns out it was the crankshaft sensor. got a replacement an it fired up straight away. thanks for the advice it helped. cheers, mick peacock

• Like Like x 1
  13. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    You heard it here first :D

• Like Like x 2