Speed Triple 955 Leaking Oil - Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ste-B, Aug 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
    It looks like I have a problem...
    I was out for a ride and I could hear a slight whirring sound, but nothing too dramatic and the bike was running great, but when I got back, a load of engine oil (not coolant) poured out of one of the overflow pipes.
    I switched the engine off, and started it again, and a load more oil poured out and the exhaust was quite smokey for a while - I've a few theories on this, but have any of you encountered this before?

2. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
    IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

3. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wouldn’t have thought it’s the oil pump as that is enclosed in the bottom of the engine and you say the oil is coming out of an overflow tube? Those tubes come from the fuel tank recess and the airbox. The fuel ones direct any fuel overspill away from hot engine parts safely to the ground and the one attached to the airbox vents any oil that builds up in the airbox from the crankcase breather. You say the engine was smoky? I’d say you have a build up of oil in the airbox that has dumped out of the tube and some has made its way into the engine and burned off, hence the smoke. About the whining noise you describe, sorry can’t help there. I’d investigate first by giving everything a good clean to positively identify where the oil is coming from, then check in the airbox (if my suspicions are correct there will be oil in there and it will need a good clean, new air filter and crankcase breather sorting out).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    I'll add an update once I've checked.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
    By the way, probably a very silly question, but I put a new magneto cover on just before it happened, and cleaned the pipe that leads into the cover, could I have done something wrong here that could affect anything?

7. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
    It's official, I'm an idiot!
    I forgot to put the seal into the new magneto casing, so I'm guessing this is the cause!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I reckon that would do it cos there is oil in there and it would likely exit the engine in the area of the rubber tubes. Let’s hope it’s that simple but I’m going to have to give you a numpty rating of 8.5 out of 10 :yum

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ste-B

Ste-B New Member

May 29, 2018
    Brighton
    You're too kind, I would award myself 10/10 for this!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Yes, as I was reading down I was about to say the seal on the stator cover - but you realize that now
    The oil is actually coming from the airbox as the engine breather is just dumping oil into there

• Like Like x 2