Speed Triple 2016 riding modes

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fazerboy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Which riding mode are you owners of the 2016 model using on the road?

I instinctively feel I should be using Sport for fast road riding but somehow I find the traction control seems to be cutting in too frequently so I find myself reverting to Road, where the traction control seems to trigger less often.

I've never had a bike with riding modes before so maybe I'm doing something wrong...?

Jack

2. Gary T

Gary T New Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Great yarmouth

3. Gary T

Gary T New Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Great yarmouth
    Hi bud hope you are enjoying your speed as much as I am on my new one I'm in the same situation as you have only had the triple about a month seem to be using road mode the most but keep thinking I should be in sport mode it's a bit of a dilemma any help out there

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    As good as it is too have a choice i can't be arsed with all that so i just leave my bike in sport mode most of the time and that works fine for me :)

5. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I normally start off with 'road' and when I warm up go to 'sport' personly I can tell the difference.
    If it's raining I'll use 'rain' for safety.
    I'm yet to try it in 'rider mode' where I've turned abs and traction control off, just want to see how it feels.

6. metalgod23

metalgod23 New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Kent
    I use sport all the time and haven't really noticed the traction control being intrusive. Prefer the slightly more crisp throttle response provided by sport mode compared to road mode.

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    ABS and TC are the same in road as they are in sport it's just the mapping in sport gives you a quicker throttle action, road mode makes it easier to control the throttle :)

8. metalgod23

metalgod23 New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Kent
    +1 for that. There is no change to power either in any of the modes including rain. There is a table in the owners manual that shows the settings for each mode. Traction control or abs don't normally kick in unless you are pushing the bike , which is hard to do on normal roads ;) ... so I am not sure what others are experiencing. I have never noticed it with spirited riding.

9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The only hindrance i experienced was hitting the soft rev limiter at first but have now cured that by setting the blue rev light to come on at the last minute as a reminder, now that i have got used to the engine i am hanging on to any given gear for far longer and using the low down grunt as well and that gives my 60 year old brain time to ride faster. If TC is cutting in and bothering you then you could use the Track option as that would be the way to go as this lets you slide the bike a lot more as the functions are backed off more.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    Hi all, I only use road when the girlfriend is on the back and that's so she enjoys it . I find the throttle response to be nice and smooth and we seem to get more mpg probably because we're going slowly !
    When I'm on my own it's in rider (traction control off abs in track (just in case ) ) the bike comes alive loves lifting the front and pops n crackles more but does less mpg probably because it's getting a canning. Never had a bike with rider modes before and can't really see the point in them.
    If you can't really ride a litre class bike without having to soften it off then why have one, maybe they're not for you

11. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Put my bike in rider mode with it set 'sport,abs off,TC off'
    Then switched through, road/sport/rider (remember you have to stop to go too and from rider)
    Road it in difference conditions, fast/slow/stop start traffic.
    I would like you guys do the same when your out next, and post what you think the difference is (if any)
    I'll wait until some of you reply before commenting of what I think, not to subconsciously influence you.

12. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Modes!! And I thought that would stop with guitar scales !! Shit here we go again

13. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Traction control shouldn't come on in sport mode unless your going mental is your clutch over adjusted and slipping mine was!

14. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    I suppose that's possible - it does feel similar to what a slipping clutch would feel like. It only comes on under hard acceleration in higher gears. I'll ask the dealer to check my clutch...

Is yours a 2016 model?

15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Highly unlikely traction control in 4th 5th and 6th imo

yes mate "S" model

16. frankie

frankie New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    rutland
    I've had my new Speed R for couple of months and started off using road mode. Using sport for past few weeks just to see what difference I can find. To be honest I haven't noticed any major differences at all with "normal" road riding, and nothing intrusive with traction control, etc.

17. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    I think you may be right. I was on a ride-out today and when I really wind it on I think the clutch may be slipping slightly.

What was the cure for yours? Does it just need a bit more free play dialling in at the clutch lever?

18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    You should have 2/3 mm at clutch lever, easy to adjust with the lever adjuster

19. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    As darkman said but a little more than 2 to 3 mm wouldn't hurt as long s the bike doesn't drag

20. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Thanks chaps...