Speed Triple 2011 Problem I Guess?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Rui Branco, Jan 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    #1 Rui Branco, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Hi fellow members, i bought a speed triple 2011 last august which is really well conserved for her age , now during the summer season the bike was fine but in the middle of September the idling started to play funny( the rpm goes higher and lower ) , the bike revs nicely no surges plenty of poke , went to triumph dealer and they told me it might be the valves soo they done the valves which were spotless and when they tried to do the throlle sincronization somehow they couldnt sincronize it properly soo i am guessing that be something to do with vacum leak? or injectors?
    I will post a small video to show the issue.
    If you guys could give me any tips would be very much appreciated.
    Sorry for my terrible english :p
    Regards
    Miguel

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome to the forum Rui. When you say it was dynoed, did that include any messing around with the air fuel mixture. If so, that could be part of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rui Branco.
    Welcome to the family. Really need more info than this. Like miles condition mods fitted by whom. What you explain to now could be a million things from fuel to worn ports. Your attachment does not work. And if you went to a Triumph Dealer and they could not find the fault then its not going to be a simple one.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    I dont know if that is the cause the dyno was done 21/09/2018

IMG_20200113_175414.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    #6 Rui Branco, Jan 13, 2020
    Just uploaded it via youtube . The bike have 32 k miles , the mods : Belly pan, Seat Cowl, Rg Crash Protections , Sc Project carbon ( thats the only mod for performance ) the others are just for the comfort/look.
    Hopefully this url will work :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The dyno looks good, unlikely it’s a A/F issue if nothing has been messed with since the dyno. Is there an after market exhaust?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Yes it have an Sc Project Carbon Exhaust .

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Thanks Joe :) i update the details you requested , thanks for your help .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rui Branco. I am still opting for a broken or slipping camchain. And hopefully not dropped the mains. How resent was that clip taken.
    Regards
    joe

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Was literally 1 hour ago, the triumph dealership told me nothing wrong with it ( they did the valve clearance and throttle bodies the idlling went back to normal a couple of days and started to do the same again )they said it was wierd to do that odd iddling, i done service twice since i had the bike and they never told me i had a slipping camchain , they even done the pressure test on cylinders and all was fine. Should i ask them to do the camchain check?
    Regards

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Was literally 1 hour ago, the triumph dealership told me nothing wrong with it ( they did the valve clearance and throttle bodies the idlling went back to normal a couple of days and started to do the same again )they said it was wierd to do that odd iddling, i done service twice since i had the bike and they never told me i had a slipping camchain , they even done the pressure test on cylinders and all was fine. Should i ask them to do the camchain check?
    Regards

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I suspect something far less dramatic. It sounds like classic stepper motor problems in the idle speed control. Often intermittent.......initially.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes could be but wouldn't expect that to cause the loss of compression. Perhaps the valves are open but I would be surprised if they were all open unless shimmed up incorrectly and the heat opens them. The exhaust is not blocked by any chance is it. And you did have the correct plugs in there.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Is that somehow connected to the fact they couldn't synchronize the throttle bodies, the bike has plenty of power never let me down, I use ride everyday :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Joe the spark were changed too like 600 miles ago and according to the mechanic they were quite good , the compression is good on all cylinders they have tested it ( triumph dealer) and its all good .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rui Branco
    Sorry I though you had lost the compression . Do find someone who can synchronize the carbs and I think you will be fine. A triumph dealer should be able to synchronize the carbs and map it properly. Do make sure you haven't trapped any pipes or hoses and perhaps restricting the fuel flow or air mixture in some way. Also make sure your fuel cap is breathing properly.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    #18 Rui Branco, Jan 13, 2020
    Do you reckon its the map? I bought the tune ECU app and waiting for the obd2 to check if the airflow / hpa ? , i will have a look next Saturday regarding the air and fuel hoses, if the problem persists you reckon i should go to the dealer and ask for a remap?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    The throttle body sync is mechanical in nature. Getting all the butterflies at the same position. You measure vacuum at each intake and adjust to reach equal pressure. The motor sounds like it is missing randomly. This is probably too lean, unless your plugs are fouled. That means one of the bodies is not adjusted correctly, too much open. It evens out at higher RPM, since a lot more is happening. Hoses could also be split, letting in more air. Had something similar on my RS, when the balancing hoses were rotten. You said the bike ran smooth for a short time after service and back again. Perhaps a loose linkage or something like that? I would say low fuel pressure? I would figure a dealer worth his salt could balance TBI, so there is probably more to it. The map worked previously, so it should work again. Something else changed, software doesn't go bad. Use the Tune app to figure out if it is one or more cylinders giving it up. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rui Branco

Rui Branco New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    London
    Hello matey, soo i have bought and obd2 bluetooth and to my amazement the bodies are perfectly tuned 610hpa in all 3 cyls on idle ,the rpm while idling are 1290 (going up and down not a lot but unstable). Soo far i ticked some causes ( spark plugs are fine , throlle bodies are fine, might be the air filter? i bought a new one planning to get it today (KN AIR FILTER (TB-1011) FOR TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE, R, SPECIAL EDITION 2011 - 2013). One thing i remember is sometimes i smell fuel coming from the bike but that only happened like 3 times since i have her , might the fuel injectors aswell (the bike starts fine , and have great performance soo are the fuel injectors the culprits?).
    Thanks for your help :)

82067881_2524567907816168_7214446537789669376_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2