Speed Triple 1050

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Neil Morgan, Nov 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Neil Morgan

Neil Morgan New Member

Nov 15, 2021
    manchester
    Hi new to all this
    I have recently purchased a speed triple 1050 registered 2010. Noticing a few issues if someone could help
    1st issue only every now and again its impossible to move it from 1st gear into 2nd ? I took bike back to garage but they said it did not happen to them since getting it back its done it a few times.

2nd issue when riding its making a ticking noise from the engine ? Is this the injectors ?

Hope someone can help.

thanks Neil

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  3. crazydave

crazydave New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    hinckley leicestershire
    is that when your stopped ?
    as your find better when moving , or it could be your boots / angle of the gear change . try all above , mine was like that , i had new boots

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Neil Morgan

Neil Morgan New Member

Nov 15, 2021
    manchester
    hi mate

5. Neil Morgan

Neil Morgan New Member

Nov 15, 2021
    manchester
    live fried the boots one thinking the same but it’s done it now with 3 different pairs

6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Welcome to the forum Neil :grinning:
    We lurve to see bike pictures. Hint, hint:grinning:

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…. Take it back to the garage and ask them to test ride it again.

8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

9. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

10. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Difficulty changing 1st to 2nd or getting into neutral can be associated with sticky cluty plates....remove, clean, soak in oil overnight and replace with new gasket for the engine cover
    Alternatively, it can be linked with chain being too tight or loose

Ticking sound is probably cam chain tensioner, sometimes it can stick before the adjuster ratchet adjusts when the cam be cam chain has loosened

11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Neil and welcome to the forum :cool: looking forward to seeing your ride pix :p best wishes sorting the gear selector

12. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I don’t see how a loose/tight chain could make any difference although it’s always a “popular” suggestion.
    The 1050 engine isn’t the quietest - sound could be valves, cam chain noise or injectors but is unlikely to be significant - record it and post??
    Most likely candidate is sticking clutch and in which case you would also get a big clonk when engaging first from neutral.
    When it next happens - stop the engine and attempt to shift into second with the clutch engaged and just gently rock the bike back and forth if needed. If it goes into gear, that should eliminate any other mechanical issue with the box. now stick it in neutral, fire it up and select first gear - if she clinks worse than normal and the drags, you have your answer. . .
    nake sure clutch is properly adjusted with correct amount of free play and if so, you’ll need to strip it and inspect - sticking plates isn’t uncommon

13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Neil and welcome to the forum, unfortunately the symptoms you describe are clutch related, however it does not affect all the 1050s, it appears years 10 and 11 are affected the most, the only way is to strip the clutch, if you are confident to tackle it then all is ok, however the first port of call should be to return the bike back to the dealer and request they rectify the problem, and don't let them fob you off with any excuses. Back to the clutch, I put a detailed post on the forum a while back on the clutch, there is a sequence to the clutch plates when re installing, some plates are thicker than others, they are coloured differently, also there are steel spacers and a concave spacer, this has to have the concave facing outwards, there are also 2 different torque settings for the clutch basket securing nut, you need to make sure by referencing the engine number. If you look at my previous post as mentioned the full sequence is there to read. There was a fault with a spring at the back of the clutch, it was weak, there is an uprated part available, if you intend doing the job yourself then PM me and I can let you have all the required gaskets and a new uprated spring of German manufacture, also I would suggest using semi synthetic oil rather that fully synthetic. Can you tell from looking at the clutch and starter covers if they have been removed before, if they have then the plates may have been mixed up and incorrectly installed, including the concave spacer. All this said take it back to the dealer ASAP and make sure they sort it for you. I have attached a few pictures from one I did to show what things look like.

TST 1.jpg

TST 2.jpg

TST 3.jpg

TST 4.jpg

TST 5.jpg

TST 6.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3