Speed Triple 1050 Starter Motor (s)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by asmodeus, May 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. asmodeus

asmodeus New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dear forum members. I have a 2006 speed triple 1050 and I am currently removing my 4th starter motor as the splines have been stripped. As well as 4 starters, I have replaced the sprocket that engages the starter twice. I am aware of the issue with starting the bike with a flat battery, but I have replaced the battery with a heavy duty unit, it holds a charge while riding and is kept on an optimate when not in use. Before you wonder how much all this is costing, the starters are good used units. The splines have all been in excellent condition and on fitting,they start the bike WITHOUT TROUBLE. The sprag assembly is undamaged, all parts are fine. It seems that after a few starts, the splines start to strip and I'm having to bump start the bike. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end. Tim.

2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I don't have any 'first hand' experience with this, but two things come to mind. First, if they are 'good used units' are you getting them from a rebuilder (same source)? If yes, could they be using 'cheap' or incorrect replacement splines when they rebuild (read that soft or contaminated metal), or are they using OEM parts? Second, could you be missing a spacer, or adding a washer where you shouldn't so the alignment is not quite right and causing the spline to strip?

3. asmodeus

asmodeus New Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks for the prompt response. Have looked at all this and it's spot on. I spoke to a local triumph dealer and one possible explanation is that the sprag may be on the wrong way and is meshing with the starter when the engine runs. This is my next check. Regards

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Slimg

Slimg New Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Virginia
    Did you figure out what was happening to your starters? I have a 2011 Sprint GT with 6,000 miles on it that stripped the starter teeth. Fortunately everything seems to be other than trying to figure out how to get the starter off the bike.

• Like Like x 1