Speed Triple 1050 "safety Alert & Question"

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by JOE SHUTA, Nov 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JOE SHUTA

JOE SHUTA Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Vestal, NY
    First I want to apologize as I tend to "carry on" a bit and this may end up a short novel instead of a simple post.

I have been riding motorcycles some 50 years and have owned over 20 bikes in that period of time. My 1st bike was a 1966 Triumph T120TT Special dirt track racing bike that I had set up to ride on the street. It was the "Real Deal" and required lighting and a squeeze horn to get it barely legal for New York State street usage back then. Those stock unmuffled 1 3/4" ID pipes would never pass now. Since that 1st bike...most of the cycles I owned were big bore Japanese Sport Bikes and a couple of Buell 1203cc Harley powered bikes ('07 XB12R/Firebolt & '02 X1W/White Lightning Limited).

This past summer I purchase a stunning condition and tastefully modified 2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050...from the original owner in Connecticut. Only my 2nd Triumph in all those years. I took it out for test ride on a 10 mile loop of the twisty 2 lane roads near the owner's home. I was so impressed with the handling, performance of the bike plus the sound of those Trident Carbon Fiber canisters he had added...I bought it immediately when I returned from that test ride! What a blast to ride!!!

Regarding my "Safety Alert" on the 1050. Early in October I was out riding the 1050 and had stopped in a parking lot. As I was getting off the bike...with the side stand down...bike turned off...my left foot planted firmly on the ground...I swung my right leg over the rear area of the seat in descent towards the pavement (like I've done hundreds of times on all the variety of motorcycles I've owned over the years). As the end of my leg crossed over the seat...the bottom edge of my blue jeans (at the seam line) got snagged/caught the upside down v-shaped passenger's foot guard (left side) that's set between the passenger's foot rest and the muffler (exhaust canister). This guard is there to keep the passenger's foot from touching the exhaust canister.

Being that my 230 lb body was already in motion. standing only on one leg...when my pant leg got caught on this guard...it caused me to lose my balance and fall very quickly to the pavement. As I fell the sharp design of this guard actually pierced my jean leg and it was like a fish being "hooked". That guard is quite high and as I lay there on the pavement...my right leg was suspended in the air and it was difficult to dislodge my leg. Luckily the side stand prevented the bike from also tipping over on me. If I had exited on the other side it most likely would have pulled the bike over also. UNFORTUNATELY I broke my wrist...fracturing it in at least 5 places!

This ended any plans I had for some enjoyable fall foliage riding through the New England states. It had been so hot and so wet all summer...I really did very little riding this past spring & summer. I've had a cast on my wrist/forearm since October 5th. In 50 years of riding...and having gone down 3 times at "speed" on street bikes...plus going down numerous times in my off-road dirt biking history...I NEVER hurt myself (lucky I guess). This latest incident is the worst I've ever hurt myself...and I was not riding...I was stopped in a friggin' parking lot!!! Almost embarrassing to tell the story. I imagine it looked funny to anyone seeing this from the 3 story office building (lots of windows)...seeing this old geezer flailing about, "hooked like a fish" in the parking lot!

Problem is...this guard is in such a position...facing upward (almost 1:00)...sharply pointed, like a narrow upside down V...and placed a few inches outward of the bike's frame...making it relatively easy to "hook" (catch) someone's pant leg as it did mine. 1st two pics are of my '05 the other pics are of this footguard area from file photos I've found. You can see the sharp v-shape of this guard. This design was used from 2005 (or earlier) into 2009 and then changed slightly and still similar on the 2018/2019 models. The new designs are less sharply pointed and the angle is not so highly facing up. I caution anyone with any of these 1050's (any year) be careful on your dismount. I wish I had known of this danger. I very well may just take off both of these passenger foot peg assemblies (left & right)...as I really never carry a passenger. That would eliminate that possibility.

My "Question" is: "Does anyone out there owning or having owned one of these Speed Triple 1050's ever had something similar happen to them?" I am curious if this has happened to anyone else. Please reply with any stories you might have.

In the mean time the only enjoyment I've had from this Speed Triple 1050 is when I walk past it in my garage and just love the look of this beauty/beast. I also own 2 other sport bikes and will be restlessly waiting when I can get back on any of these. I will be much more vigilant when getting off though! Hope you enjoyed the "novel".

1050-2.PNG

1050-3.PNG

TRIUMPH 2007 SPD TRL 1050 LR PEG CLOSE REAR SHOT.PNG

TRIUMPH 2005 SPD TRL 1050 R PEG.PNG

TRIUMPH 2006 SPD TRL 1050 R PEG.PNG

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #2 TEZ 217, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    First off welcome in Joe and thanks for pictures (sorry missed your newbie post) :cool::cool: what a Beautiful bike Joe, sorry to hear of your misfortune and the injury caused seem's substantial :mad: looking at your pictures I can see how easy this would be to happen, its good of you to point out to others about this and make them aware of it, lets see if any others have had this happen,
    Hope your back on your bike soon Joe all the best and as I said Welcome ino_Oo_O

3. JOE SHUTA

JOE SHUTA Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Vestal, NY
    Thanks! I would hate to see anyone else have this happen to them. In retrospect I now understand why it happened. After looking at this design it would seem that it is a potential problem waiting to happen to anyone. I have a '91 Honda VFR750F/Interceptor in outstanding condition...only 10K original miles...all stock condition and the guard on that bike is shaped like a large "U"...facing parallel to the ground and angled in towards the wheel...making it impossible to catch one's pant leg. You'd have to purposely stick your leg in-between the tire and guard.

4. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Stop being a puff! Triumph owners are supposed to made of harder stuff. :joy::laughing::p

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi Joe, sorry about your misfortune.
    I own the same model as you, and have not had any problems. You weren't wearing bell-bottoms left over from the seventies, were you? :p
    Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Did the previous owner replace the Nissin calipers with Yamaha gold spots?

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I wish you a speedy recovery. I always wear proper motorcycle gear no matter how warm it gets so no problems for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JOE SHUTA

JOE SHUTA Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Vestal, NY
    If I could fit into anything left over from the 70's it would be quite a feat!!! I was wearing a "Boot-Cut" type of jean. It was just the "Perfect Storm" one might say that it happened.

Yes...the Nissin calipers were replace w/Yamaha R1 Gold Spots. He claimed it improved the braking response and feel of the braking. I tallied up all the switched items he had done (like the Race Tech rear shock & Trident exhaust plus others) and he put about $4,000 in aftermarket items on the bike. Sweet for me as I picked the bike up at a really good price and it was meticulously taken care of.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JOE SHUTA

JOE SHUTA Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Vestal, NY
    I guess that at 68 years old maybe my old bones aren't so tough anymore. Did test them a few times in my riding history though. In 1970 riding my '66 Triumph T120TT at about 60MPH and coming into an unknown 10MPH left hand turn (my 1st time on this road)...never made the turn...ending up in a field, sliding on my back as the TT went sailing over my body. NO INJURIES! Bike landed squarely on the rear edge of the bending the frame against the tire. Had to replace the rear frame section on the TT.

In 1972 riding my Yamaha DT360 Enduro at about 40MPH...a dog ran into my rear wheel area causing me to go down. I fared much better than the dog did as when I went down he became caught in my chain and rear sprocket and I had to put him down with a local farmer's British-Lee Enfield .303 which was an unpleasant task but necessary to end his suffering. Bike was scraped up a bit. Myself just some minor road rash.

In 1977 riding my 1977 Suzuki GS750E...coming into another unknown (1st time on this road) 10MPH hairpin turn (except a right-hander this time)...doing about 70MPH...braking hard...hit some loose gravel and kept going straight..."ass over teacup"...yet again into another field. Banged up the bike quite well and I only hurt my pride...not a scratch otherwise! Have to stop going so fast on those 1st time roads.

Had a number of off-road enduro type bikes and 3 Yamaha 250 Trials bikes...having numerous mishaps on all these with no injuries at all.

Guess it might be "percentages". Was due for this (but standing still in a parking lot???)...or just a "puff" as you might say!!! LOL!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome in Joe, hope the old bones knit well soon and you're back on two wheels ASAP.
    As the Speed Triple is THE perfect bike (IMHO) it would be impossible for it to be at fault...........
    It's my opinion that the jeans were obviously faulty and hence the guilty party.
    In true American style I suggest you sue the bastards for every penny they've got. ;)
    (Levi have had enough of my pennies over the years!)

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Being only a couple of years younger I often say this to myself

11. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Yer daft bugger, Joe!!:eek: That's the type of stupid thing that I tend to be so good at!:oops::rolleyes::blush:
    Now behave yourself and get well soon - that bike won't ride itself!:)

• Like Like x 3