Speed Triple 1050 Rs - Damn Those Yellow Decals!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rimbo, Aug 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Morning all.

So I've searched and I've searched and I can't find anything substantial on this one. Apologies if this is a newbie question, but I've just bought a 2021 Matt Black Speed Triple 1050 RS. I love the bike but not keen on the yellow decals or rim tape (is it tape?). I'm changing the belly pan for carbon, so that loses those ones, but want to remove the other yellow decals from the tank, front fairing and rear cowl. I've seen a number of other Triples for sale in black with them removed (as you can still see yellow on the wheels and carbon side thingys).

So, has anyone done this on here to this model/year/colour? I've got the heat gun and the WD40 (already removed all the warning labels successfully), but just a bit worried that if I lift the decals I'll find that there's something else underneath rather than just the tank/cowl/fairing!! Help!!

Many thanks in advance

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Be careful, they could be lacquered over! I'd be surprised if they aren't actually.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Rimbo, have a look at CarbonFBR, they are based in Scotland and only make carbon fibre parts for the Street and Speed Triple's, they are top quality and offer free delivery that is super fast. The tape on the rims you mention is actually not tape but hand painted at the factory, I would not advise attempting to remove the decals from the tank or you may well risk some damage, if you are intending on removing them I would suggest trying this on the belly pan you remove. The Matt Black paintwork takes some looking after, I know from personal experience and please do not try ordinary polish such as Autoglymn, use a matt specific polish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Excellent thanks for the top tips. Funnily enough I bought a few carbon bits from CarbonFBR (heel guards, hugger and chain guard), but the hugger was on back order and the heel guards were both chipped, which was just unlucky I think, so cancelled the order. They've been helpful and happy to refund etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    And I’ve sorted it tonight. Basically £10.59 of Matt vinyl off of Amazon and the wife’s grease proof paper to make the templates. Literally just covered them up with the vinyl. Looks a ton better. Nothing I can do yet about the wheels and the carbon RS bit on the side that has a touch of yellow in, but actually doesn’t look too bad. I’ve kept the silver detail/stripes to break the black which looks good in my opinion as well. Happy chappy. Still got a ton of the vinyl left and the templates so if they get tired I can quickly replace them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad you're getting your bike sorted, @Rimbo. That stuff can make one crazy and it really is nice to look at your bike and like the aesthetics rather than wish them to be different. We'd love to see some photos of your "new improved" bike please! BTW,

I have a matte black bike and I agree with the advice of @Iceman about paint care. You may have already read up on it but if not it's definitely worth looking into as it's different than caring for other finishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Just as an update, I've just re-ordered as I think it might have just been an unlucky issue the first time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Heres the pics of afterwards. Got the side covers on order in carbon to lose the yellow on those and will be getting some black rim tape to lose it on the wheels!

IMG_3381 2.jpg

IMG_3383 2.jpg

IMG_3382 2.jpg

IMG_3380 2.jpg

IMG_3379 2.jpg

IMG_3375 2.jpg

IMG_3381 2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rimbo
    It looks bloody good to me. And the inmates will agree as they favour black bikes one of the favourite colours here in the asylum. And i will bet a good few will have a good look at you Volkswagen camper looks a real beauty.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Cheers Joe. The camper is above the wife and kids in pecking order to be honest - just don't tell em! A hole in the ground in terms of finances, but I love her nevertheless!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Cheers Joe. The camper is above the wife and kids in pecking order to be honest - just don't tell em! A hole in the ground in terms of finances, but I love her nevertheless!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. winrow3745

winrow3745 Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Cheshire
    I nearly bought a 1050rs a few years back and went to the dealer with the intention of doing a deal and chopping in my str. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it, as I hated the colour options.

They even made them worse with these daft flashes you are doing such a good job getting rid of!

I'm having the same problem with a Tiger 900. Love the bike to ride, but the colour schemes are just terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    I hear you! I'd love to talk to the design team and find out who thought of it as a colour! Surely there must have been sign off by someone??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Bit of an update. Changed the side panels (to lose the yellow flash), heel guards and lower chain guard this morning. All the carbon bits from CarbonFBR who were brill and really quality parts. All fitted easily.

So only remaining thing is the bright yellow wheel rims. Tried some rim tape this morning but it looked rubbish (supposed to be black and only reflective when lights shone etc, but actually reflected all the time and unless you get it perfectly round it looked cheap), so need to think again!

Hoping the SC projects exhaust will be delivered in the next week or so to open up the back end and I’ve got the carbon hugger and upper chain guard to fit at the same time.

5608BE9A-54A4-4BDD-991A-F93380AFC8BB.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    .....and finally managed to find some decent gloss black rim tape to lose the yellow wheels!!

IMG_36072.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    ok, so maybe one more final pic.......with the new exhaust......carbon hugger goes on on Thursday..

IMG_3745-compressed.JPG

IMG_3746-compressed.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  18. Jeaso

Jeaso New Member

Nov 9, 2021
    Sydney
    How's it looking with the new fiber mud guard?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Sorry for the delay!!

93AED09E-F620-4164-8004-7FE81785747B.jpeg

12490082-6167-4F81-B565-1F1E156C758B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Also changed the upper chain guard as well. All definitely done now…maybe, I think, possibly.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1