Speed Triple 1050 Loud Noise On Start Up And Stopping

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Heath Brawn, May 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Heath Brawn

Heath Brawn New Member

May 8, 2018
    Halifax
    Hi can anybody help i have a loud clunking noise when starting and stopping the engine. i was stood over winter 2 months and i did have a problem when i tried to start it with low battery.

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    What he said.

3. Heath Brawn

Heath Brawn New Member

May 8, 2018
    Halifax
    Hi its a 2006

4. Heath Brawn

Heath Brawn New Member

May 8, 2018
    Halifax

Thanks

5. Heath Brawn

Heath Brawn New Member

May 8, 2018
    Halifax
  6. Heath Brawn

Heath Brawn New Member

May 8, 2018
    Halifax
    Thanks my first bike its 2006 with 17000 a little disappointing Triumph

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Heath Brawn

Heath Brawn New Member

May 8, 2018
    Halifax
    Thanks my first bike its 2006 with 17000 a little disappointing Triumph

• Like Like x 1
  8. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    What is a sprag?. Never heard of one before( I'm old school) What does it do and have i got one on my 2010 Tiger?

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Very similar to an ordinary roller bearing except it incorporates a series of ramps. The result is it freewheels one way (engine running) and jams the other (starting up).

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    A sprag clutch is a one-way freewheel clutch. It resembles a roller bearing but, instead of cylindrical rollers, non-revolving asymmetric figure-eight shaped sprags are used. ... The sprags are spring-loaded so that they lock with very little backlash.

• Like Like x 2
  11. D1050

D1050 New Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Cookstown
    Had the same problem on my 05' speed triple with only 6k on the clock.... was intermitting at the start; then got progressivly worse until the sprag just let go and bike wouldnt start atall. The sprag clutch on these bikes were upgraded in 07 and the older one discontinued as they were notorious for failing. You buy it as a kit as the idle gear etc will need replaced to accomadate the upgraded bigger sprag. Read stories of people replacing the spring around it but to be honest it just seems to be a temporary fix. If you intend getting many more years out of the bike then definatly worth the fix. I have part numbers etc here if you need them. If you look below you will see the new sprag fitted to the bike and the older one held below it you can see it is much smaller.

IMG_0436.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2