Speed Triple 1050 Gearbox Issue?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by ryanMIL, Jul 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Hi,

I've recently taken delivery of a 2011 Speed Triple 1050 and just getting back into the swing of riding again after a 7 year break!

Unfortunately, I'm finding the gear change a bit of an issue. It always refuses to go into Neutral when its warm (I have to turn-off the bike, rock it back-and forth against the gear and then it'll go into Neutral). Also, it's terrible at changing down on the approach to junctions, I have to give the selector a kick to get it to switch down and it won't run down through the gears quickly - I have to either do it slowly, or release the clutch after each change.

I knew that these bikes were known for an agricultural gearbox before I bought it, but this is taking the pleasure out of riding for me at the moment.

My chain seems to be adjusted fine, so I'm not sure if there's anything else which might be worth looking at, or if I should find a local dealer to have a look at it.

It'd be good to know if anyone else has/had similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Has the oil been changed recently?

3. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    The engine oil was done over the winter according to the last owner, but the bike is nearly due it's 36k service.

4. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Clutch adjustment ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Hadn't thought of that, but the clutch seems fine when pulling off etc. It's not the fact that it's not engaged causing this problem.

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had this on a previous 2010 Speed Triple.
    Resolved by changing the clutch plates
    Notorious for not getting enough oil and sticking

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Have you checked the gear lever to make sure its set right, there was an issue with the lever working slack on some bikes and this fixed their symptoms, which were very similar to yours

8. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Sounds like istcould be clutch drag, so fine for pulling away but not for the delicate selection of neutral. I would try adjusting more play out of the clutch cable. Also try pushing the bike in gear with clutch in. If its difficult that likely proves clutch drag.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #9 Col_C, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Almost certain to be a clutch issue and unfortunately is not unheard of, firstly check the cable is adjusted to have minimal free play (1-3mm max), also having lever set to minimum span can contribute to the problem by reducing the amount of disengagement. If that doesn't solve the problem then as Red Thunder suggests you're probably looking at new plates.
    If incorrect oil has been used in the past they may be contaminated, some have suggested that the clutch works better with semi-synthetic oil as opposed to full syn, although I'm running full syn without issues.
    Search the forum there's some lengthy threads on the subject, I'll post a link if I ever find the one I'm thinking of.

Edit:-
    Found it, start here.
    Also look at other posts from Jody, you'll have encyclopaedic knowledge of clutch issues after that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    not a solution as such i had similar probs (long story) does it go up gears fine,then when you downshift that's when probs occur try revving bike up blipping throttle just before clutch in and gear change see if it helps,deffo change oil and keep bike upright not on sidestand when not getting used as well as checking chain tension and cable slack.

11. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    When I was riding home yesterday, I tried clutch-less changes and it went up beautifully - changing down was impossible without the clutch, but still difficult with the clutch.

It sounds - from all the helpful advice of all you guys - that this is likely a clutch issue. It's almost due its' 36k service, so I think I'll just get it booked in early and have them look at the clutch too.

12. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    When I was riding home yesterday, I tried clutch-less changes and it went up beautifully - changing down was impossible without the clutch, but still difficult with the clutch.

It sounds - from all the helpful advice of all you guys - that this is likely a clutch issue. It's almost due its' 36k service, so I think I'll just get it booked in early and have them look at the clutch too.

13. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    maybe best to bite the bullet and pay dealer rates if you are not confident with the spanners,make sure you tell them its when bike is warmed up you get problems that was the case with my bike 2011,before it goes to dealer check gear pedal and assembly bolts are tight i found my pedal and mounting plate bolts loose.

14. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I've had bike about 18 months and its always been notchy on downshift unless you blip throttle,upshifts smooth sounds odd but when riding more aggressive it always shifts better,i must admit although its improved its still not as smooth as any other bike I've had but still happy with most aspects of bike,there are videos of plate change on web but its speeded up plates need soaked in oil imho rather than fitted dry (up for debate?).

15. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    If the clutch lever is not set as per the manual with the correct gap and the clutch lever is very close the to the grip when the gear is engaged you will find it difficult to find neutral, as it jumps to a gear (1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st)and in extreme cases the gears will prove hard to select. In the case of neutral, drive forward in 1st for half a wheel turn, then try to find neutral - it usually works BUT of course if the clutch lever is set correctly the problem should cease. I talk from experience as it happened to me when the clutch cable slackened and the clutch lever gap increased - I hope this helps?

16. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory
    Hi All,

Resurrecting this thread because I’ve just done an oil change, adjusted the chain and clutch - I was hoping that might solve this issue, but it persists.

It seems odd to me because, I’d have thought, that if the clutch was gone it would be a consistent issue - but this is only when the bike is warm, and even then, only about 50% of the time.

What do you think is the best course of action?

Thanks

17. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Do you keep bike on it’s side stand as imho this does not help,I always keep mine upright on warrior rear stand but never been 100% happy with gearbox TBH. Try a couple of different chain slacks and see if that improves anything,my bike has always been a lot better in gear changes and finding neutral at start of a run before oil is hot oddly.

18. ryanMIL

ryanMIL New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Kirkby Mallory

Yes, mines the same - absolutely fine when cold, troublesome when warm.

I’ll try keeping it on my paddock stand, see if that helps.

19. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Not a fix but I think it helps slightly,at first I changed the oil didn’t seem to help but it’s got slightly better after few miles.

20. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had a stickey clutch, what helped reduce it was to have the engine running in neutral but leant over to the right so the clutch plates are bathed in oil, and open and close the clutch to get as much oil between the plates
    It worked for a while but I ended up putting new plates in myself and it ran beautifully after

• Useful Useful x 1