"speed Tiger Triple" - Speed Triple 955 And Tiger Nose Cone

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by DanielB, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hi all, apologies for the multi posting (from the Tiger forum), but maybe this is a better place to ask...

Does anyone know how easily/if at all/really simply, the nose cone/fairing from a a Tiger 955 (or any other) may bolt on to the front of a Speed Triple 955i?

I am assuming I may need to fit different headlights (that fit the cone, I assume)....but what else?

Does anyone have photos of the Tiger nose cone fittings so I can see if it will fit to the Triple?

I am a complete novice...so any advice gratefully received!

Thank you!

2. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    #2 DanielB, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Not sure this is the right forum section, so please direct as needed!

I am going to resurrect this thread as I have an itch i need to scratch. In my mechanical naivety I am going to keep scratching until someone tells me to stop...

I'm not a mechanical idiot, but I don't want a fruitless task or end up making 'Triggers broom' :neutral:
    . So much help and advice would be welcome to anyone with the patience...

So, eager to take on a new money sucking project - and having no money should make it more interesting - I am still pursuing this crazy notion of putting a Tiger (955) nose cone on my 2002 Speed Triple 955efi.

It may even look a bit "Thruxtony"...(coming from a balding 44yr old man who still thinks he's a bit slimmer than he actually is)...

Why? I don't know.... My triple isn't by any means pristine, so I'm not butchering a classic (and I'd hope anything done can be undone if needed anyway), but the main reason was I thought it may give a decent windshield option. That wind blast is a pain...and I gotta hold on to the hair I have!

I could just buy a screen perhaps, except I can't find one or certainly can't for sensible (ie not much) money, and certainly not one where I don't have to drill holes in my bodywork.

Plus...I think it might look good. Or failing that, just not too bad. :worried:

Thirdly; I'm bored so need something to do/Google/chip away at - so my missuse at least thinks I'm busy so she doesn't give me a list of things to do. (I do already have a list of things to do, but I don't want to do it, and also if there's one thing I can do, without hesitation, is procrastinate ):D

I think I have got as far as seeing that for the tiger front to fit on a triple I need a Tiger 'cockpit subframe/fairing brace/bracket'. That's a square metal frame type thing that holds all the Tiger cockpit...

The subframe attached to the headstock of the frame, as does the current headlight/cockpit assembly on the triple (which would obviously come off).

The actual nosecone will then fit on to that bonafide fixing.

I'd put in Tiger twin headlight assembly, as, again, it'll just fit.

Some questions...

Is this all a pants idea?

Will it ever/never work?

Will the current triple cockpit and instrument panel fit inside the the new set-up? If so, I think it may look pants, actually....but at least all the (Triple) instrument panel hasn't been messed with...

Or I could get the correct cockpit assembly for the Tiger so it all fits nicely in the cone.

Next question...

If I do go for the Tiger cockpit instrument panel with its correct instrument wiring loom, might this "plug and play" in to the existing triple working loom? What might be the differences? There is a little bit of me hoping that under my Triples tank is a big black plug...and into that is a socket that has all the 'cockpit wiring loom', and I'll just swap it out with a Tiger cockpit loom...:rolleyes:

Or, could I simply make my own connections to things like indicator lamps on the cockpit, oil, engine light, neutral lamp etc...will the 'theory' still work for it all I just need to celo-tape some wires together?:confused:

Will the Speedo need anything different if the Triples drive/cable just goes to the Tiger Speedo instead?

Any other thoughts or opinions ?(please be polite :D)

Many thanks indeed...! :kissing:

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

@DanielB think the only way you’re gonna find out is if you actually get the parts required and start offering them up to your bike :confused:
    don’t know anybody that’s done this so your bike could be very unique :)
    Don’t worry about what others think :mad:
    It’s your bike :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you dilligaf for the words of encouragement....I am slowly sourcing the parts so I am likely to do it as you say!

• Like Like x 1
  5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I have made a mock up; but mine will be blue...I don't think it looks too bad...

Triple tiger.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: That looks pretty cool :cool:
    And using Triumph parts it looks standard in a good way :cool:
    Go for it mate :grinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Right...first part is in the post...the 'subframe' for the nose cone...

Will try to keep this thread updated, in case anyone is interested - or can help when I cry

• Like Like x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Definitely keep the thread going mate :cool:
    I want to see it finished :)

9. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I have to finish it! Bloody hell, now the pressure's on.

Out of interest, if anyone comes across a Tiger 955i cockpit/nosecone fairing, please let me know!

• Like Like x 1