Speed Rs Manual

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by tcbandituk, Mar 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    When I looked for the 2016/17 R manual last week it wasn't there!!
    Will check now

3. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Ahhh, fund it now...doesn't help with the models being in some random order!

Costs are still eye watering
    1 hour £6 - okay I can find the relevany bit and print it off
    1 day £36 - I can find a bit more, but the cost is twice that of a Haynes manual
    1 week £144 - Really?
    30 day £432 - who ya kiddin
    1 year £3024 - 1/3 of how much I paid for the bike - not a chance in hell

4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Ahhhh, those were the days, and I can still use it 20 years later! :)

IMAG0971.jpg
    Mind you, I can remember whinging about the price at the time.
    (wish I still had the bike)

Obviously Tritun.net is primarily for dealer use, hence the price (and partly why you pay so much for your service - unless dealers get free access?)

I dare say there will be pirate copies on the 'net in due course - not that I condone the practice. ;)

5. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I presume the manual is in PDF format and you can print the page you want, or at least save it for later reference

6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Haven't tried it but I would think most likely in pdf, even if not would surely be printable. (pdf printer is a wonderful thing :))

£36 and you've got a busy day ahead - I'd guarantee they'll make sure you can't print it off in one hit.:mad:

7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

The £3K is what dealers have to pay every year now, my local one wasn't impressed.....

Currently, you can get paper manuals for slightly older bikes still, it'll be in a few years time when the bikes are a bit older and people want more comprehensive information that'll it'll start to bite.

I needed some info for my 2016 Tiger Sport about removing bodywork.
    As it was relatively new, I didn't need any engine data or similar.
    I managed to get the bodywork stuff and pretty much everything else I'd need (torque settings, capacitys, basic mechanicals etc) downloaded in the hour for £6.
    Far cheaper than buying a £90 manual :p

Having said that, I bought the paper manual for my Bonnie for £87 as I intend to do a lot more work on it and the other half has a Bonnie as well, but I can get what I'll need online for the Speed for £6....

If I keep the Speed for long enough to need a full manual (unlikely with my current buying record...:D), I reckon I can download the whole thing in a day for £36, it'll be monotonous and a bind doing it though.....

8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    It would give my son the opportunity to earn some pocket money...:laughing:
    If I can save it in chapters as a PDF, then I can just refer to it as and when, even saving it to my phone so I can look at it in the garage.

I could image the repetitive strain of copying and pasting 100s of pages being tiresome

9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Can't just download chapters, it's all individual page downloads I think.
    IIRC you have to then save it again to convert the page format to something useful....

Like I said, I reckon I could download a whole manual in a day for £36, but I'd much rather pay the £90 for a full paper one if I could :(

If I get bored (really bored), I might pay the £6 and see what I can download for the RS :rolleyes:

10. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    To give you some idea, this is what I downloaded for the Tiger Sport and I still had @10 minutes left of the hour.

TigerSport.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    If you have a current version of Windows on your pc then you should have a printer listed as - "Microsoft Print to PDF", I'm guessing Triumph will have the manual split into chapters so you should be able to save it to pdf a chapter at a time.

In any case what do you need a manual for, with all the electronics on the latest models there's bugger all you can do without the dealer tool plugged in. ;)
    And if the bureaucrats in Brussels had their way it would be illegal to touch the bloody thing.
    Hence me hanging on to my Speed 94R, it's a keeper.

And if the data here is to be believed (I don't) - faster too! :joy:
    upload_2018-3-9_16-23-25.png

12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Ha, I actually tried opening those PDF pages :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Aye, I messaged the after sales dept at Triumph asking if it was possible to connect TuneECU to my 2016 Speed triple R, their response was,
    "As the manufacturer, Triumph are not in a position to offer assistance in this matter, or offer advice on any modification that deviates from a known or standard condition, sorry"

But the manual would be good for checking torque settings and wiring diagrams for installing bits
    It was so much easier to work on my 2010 Speed Triple SE, almost wish I still had it....
    (goes to look on Autotrader...hmmm there is a 2010 se selling for £5,500)

14. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Smart phone is my essential tool when away on the bike.
    Manual loaded in pdf, TuneECU also loaded, and the OBD bluetooth dongle stashed under the seat.
    What could possibly go wrong. :laughing:
    ....Oh and a spanner or two.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Me too. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yep, TuneECU works upto MY2015, once they went fly-by-wire throttle and engine modes TuneECU called it a day. :(

17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    How long before checking the tyre pressures is a dealer serviceable item? :joy:

18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Only with officially approved TPMS :p

19. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I am wondering if I could depart my Speed triple R 2016 for a 2010 SE or a Speed Triple 94, and get it with all the extras....
    My local Triumph dealer advised me against getting this installed, it operates when the tyres are rolling and as I commute a lot the batteries would wear out within a few months, and as the batteries are non-replaceable they would only be binned
    So only useful having tyre pressure sensors if your don't use the bike much!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Biased opinion warning - :laughing:

Speed 94R has a lot going for it... if -
    1. you like gloss black paint (..or yellow, but that's not for me)
    2. you want the same Ohlins suspension and like the black fork
    3. you want to do your own maintenance and be able to remove service nag via TuneECU
    4. you don't see the point of engine modes or traction control for the road
    Only electronic gizmo on the latest model I lust after is cornering ABS
    Un-noticed diesel is the only circumstance I can imagine where traction control might be of use to me.
    Much more likely to encounter a braking situation where the more advanced electronics might prevent a whoopsy.