Speed Rs...dilemma

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Mr Triple J, Apr 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr Triple J

Mr Triple J Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Hello all.... looking for some feedback and not sure where to post and heres why... Speed RS or Street RS??
    Test drove both bikes... and came from Monster 1200S.
    Two different but mega bikes.... looking for Pro's n cons to help decide...
    Heres one.... Street so agile & flickable but wonder if will eventually crave Speed torque sound and pull?? (as I'm ex 1200Monster).

Any advice would be appreciated..... love em both!! But only one comes home...

Thanks in advance...

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Does the £3k price differential sway you? What could you do with that? Is the difference worth it? What is your typical ride? In most cases the Street will do x% of what you want. Is the y% difference worth £3k? Only you know. At 30 I would have gone for the Speed. At 50 I would have been happy with the Street. It’s a b****r being in the middle!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larry McClenon

Larry McClenon New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas

4. Larry McClenon

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    I would go for the Triple for the following reasons:

1. If you go for any longer trips the triple engine wont have to work as hard as the street.
    2. You can always drive the triple slower, you wont be abke to make up a lack of HP with the street.
    3. Unless your on a track, is the street really that much more agile then the triple? I havent read anyone complaining the new RS doesnt handle well.

Thank you, TheOath

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Welcome Mr Triple J.

You're only going to get biased opinions by asking that question in the Speed forum...so given that you didn't post in the Street forum, perhaps you've already answered your own question; you need a Speed RS :p

• Like Like x 3
  6. Larry McClenon

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas

• Like Like x 1
  7. Larry McClenon

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    While it is true, I have a speed triple RS on order, This would be my first Triumph so I don't feel biased. I would debate that it is always better to have the horse power rather than wish you did.

TheOath

• Like Like x 3
  8. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    I collect my RS today so biased again.

I've never ridden a street either.

I did own an 09 speed trip too and I can tell you that the RS feels so much lighter, more nimble and the front end feel is way better.

I wasn't expecting much difference and was prepared to prefer a bmw s1000r to be honest. I was blown away by the RS.

If the street feels much lighter/ more nimble I'd be surprised. But wow if it does.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Enjoy your new bike experience - you'll be grinning from ear to ear (after any initial trepidation as you ride it off the forecourt for the first time) :yum

10. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    #10 Tony Rokins, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Collected a Speed RS 3 weeks ago, have come off a 2011 Speedy. However, I did test ride the 765RS.
    Hers's why I stumped up the extra...
    1. The 765RS was more flick-able than your average bogie, the Speed RS was not far behind, but felt more "planted" at the same time.
    2. The 765 felt like a fit 675 until 8k rpm at which point it seems to "come on cam" and took off like a scalded cat, which I loved. That means that's how I'd want to ride it all the time. The Speed give a bigger, instant hit much lower in the rev range, make it much easier to use more of the time.
    3. The 765 does not have cruise control. I ride my bikes to the South of France most summers..
    4. The Speed is bigger, more comfortable - better for longer rides...
    5. I think the Speed RS looks better with it Arrow cans and carbon fibre.....yum, carbon fibre....
    6. I loved my 2011 Speedy, it did everything well, the Speedy RS is just a much better version of the same thing.
    7. Fit, finish, ride, brakes, suspension, the way it rides, looks....the big RS rides and feels like a class act. I was very impressed with the smaller RS, but it didn't quite give me that special feeling, don't know why....
    T

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    I was considering the monster before I brought the RS but I never actually rode it, can I ask why you want to swap it?

12. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Hi, I had the same problem, I rode the Street RS and Speed R 2017 model and couldn't decide. The Street handles like you just have to think about where to place it and it goes. I found the Street to be a little weedy feeling and like a substantial bike . When the Speed RS came out with the upgrades I put my order in the day it was released as it seemed the ideal bike for me. All reviews have been positive for both. I do like my RS a lot and still running in. I like the torque spread which is the USP of the speed. The Street is better for ragging it on B roads or on the track but how do you ride mostly ? I was concerned that if I bought the Street RS I may be tempted to hit the redline a lot whereas the speed is grunty in the mid range so you have fun at lower revs. I also own a Fireblade and Blackbird both require reving and high speed to be fun where the Speed is just fun to ride at any speed. It handles great too just sits there at high lean feeling really settled.

13. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Thanks all for teh assist...

BIG & Torquey + quickshifter + tail tidy...ordering this aft for week 1 June as working overseas...
    Great info... thanks... deposit placed on darker shade RS + quick + tail + bungs :) Cant freakin wait!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Thanks.. yeah found street to be wanting revs... which is great and sounds awesome but don't really wanna ride that way all the time but feel you wanna to get the feeling and sound from the street... Big Torquey does it!

15. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    #15 Tony Rokins, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    You're in for a proper treat:p
    Having the "shift assist" fitted at the 500 mile service tomorrow. Not looking forward to it though, the forecast says it's going to be pi$$ing it down........

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr Triple J

Apr 27, 2018
    UK
    Magic... cant wait... let us know how the QS performs...was told up/down + Auto blip??
    Be great if you could buy 'manufacturers run-in 500' altho nice I'll be frustrated running ion...lol.

17. Lee Fowler

Lee Fowler New Member

Mar 16, 2018
    England
    Hi I've just bought Speed R after test riding just about everything I could get my hands on in the range. I absolutely love the Speed R everytime I open the garage door opens that grows not diminishes, just make me want to ride her. I have an inline 4 sports tourer and wanted something very different, man have I got that, just put the arrows under seat System on it and it's awesome. The only 1 thing that I can say negative is the gearbox, it is a little bit in the dark ages its very mechanical but in a silly way its exactly what I wanted!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Both good bikes, I tried the 2017 Speed R when my 765RS went for service last summer, felt the gearbox let the Speed down compared to the Street, came away feeling I had made the right choice. Haven't ridden the new Speed RS yet, will probably book a ride when my Street goes for service & see what all the fuss is about!
    I don't find the 765 lacks grunt, I like to rev the motor & find it a rewarding bike to ride, but if you want to poodle around in higher gears at lower revs you can just not to the same extent as on the Speed.

19. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Last 15+ years I have only been riding all sort of 1000cc sports bikes. Last year I owned a Speed 1050 but unfortunately it was taken out. After thinking long and hard decided to try out 600.

Currently I own a 2014 Street Triple R and am loving it. I just love this bike. I spend more time ogling at her, my wife is concerned about me:rolleyes:

What swayed me towards the 675R is the type of riding I do. I ride out in the countryside tackling twisties. And the 675 R is amazing at it....decent performance.....ace brakes......very very flickable.....hold its line and many more. I am not bothered about 100MPH + straight line speeds. The other reason for choosing the 675 R is my back. I feel much more comfortable on the 675 R compared to all the other big sports bikes. I had the same doubts as you about performance, it's not going to be powerful like a 1000cc etc. But I was proved wrong. I don't have the skill or the balls to exploit her full potential BUT other than serious top speeds, the 675R is a very capable bike.

Speed Triple....I don't have anything negative to say about this bike. I would own another in a flash only if I can afford a 2nd bike and my back strengthens and able to manoeuvre her around parking lots, traffic etc. But will not give up my 675 R;).....too much love I have for her :)

So it all comes down to the type of riding you want to do. You won't go wrong with any of those bike 765RS / 1050R.

All the best buddy:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Agree with what you say, just found my post from when I was a newbie!

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/new-to-site-just-upgraded-to-st765rs-from-str675.9853/