1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DiNO

DiNO New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    South Gloucestershire
    Hi guys, new member here, and as of yesterday, a proud new owner of an S.
    I have many questions which I'll get around to, and have learned so much from here already, but after the whirl of picking up my new toy yesterday I have just realised I don't have a toolkit. All I have is a hex key under the passenger seat; should I have had a tool roll with a chain adjusting C spanner or something? I'm so excited and still buzzing but haven't had a chance to ride it or play with it today, so perhaps I've missed something.
    Many thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Welcome ! Use the Allen key to remove the riders seat and all will be revealed :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DiNO

DiNO New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    South Gloucestershire
    Ah! Thank you. I've done all my chores today so tomorrow I can play - I will check that out first thing in the morning. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome DiNO

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DiNO

DiNO New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    South Gloucestershire
    Thanks guys. Only 40 miles so far, but I've done a lots and lots of just looking at it; it's fabulous.
    A little ride later hopefully.
    Just deliberating how to best run it in. I figure I stick close to the rpm limts but gradually use more and more throttle. Not anywhere near full of course. And lots of overrun and variations.
    First, I will chop the dealers logo off the bottom of the number plate and adjust the plate so it's level; that's really bugging me!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup she is a gorgeous machine. I’ve spent many hours just looking at mine as well. IMHO few bike look as good as the Speed. Engine break in is a very controversial subject, but the following link is what makes the most sense to me, and is how I broke mine in. Cheers.
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum DiNO.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Wonky number plates bug me too; welcome.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good morning and welcome in. Ride safe and enjoy the ride!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome in DiNO :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of the Speed Triple, DiNO! I always say that there's nothing like a new bicycle or a new motorcycle to make one feel like a little kid again. And I'm with SteveRS, few bikes look as good as the Speed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DiNO

DiNO New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    South Gloucestershire
    #14 DiNO, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Thanks again for great welcome. Improved my plate, but a new plate is on order.
    Wonky mirrors next. I guess I can simply slacken the hex bolt located on the mirror arm and rotate the arm around the handlebar axis without touching the hex bolt on the end of the bar - my first bar end mirrors !
    Edit: yep, done that
    I'll get a picture uploaded too.

Wish I'd called this thread '2018 S - Questions and Answers' because I will ask many more!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jez1050S

Jez1050S Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Bristol
    I’m very jealous, my S doesn’t arrive for another 2 weeks !
    Was debating the run in procedure myself so good to see you were thinking along the same lines.
    Enjoy the bike !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DiNO

DiNO New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    South Gloucestershire
    #16 DiNO, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    You won't be disappointed when it comes...

The first 100 miles are difficult with the 3500 rpm limit (which I was too fussy about I think), I was holding up cars . Once the 5000 limit comes in a whole new character appears.
    I came from a 189kg (wet) bike with 115bhp and 65ftlb of torque, which went like stink in my opinion, and I thought the fat heavy speedy would be just a mild increase in performance... Well I've only done 165 miles so far but I think I was slightly wrong...
    What a machine!
    My last throttle was sort of on or off, the speedy ride by wire is a world apart. Just a gradual increase in twist unleashes proportional linear shove - a lot of shove.
    And did I mention the sound; ooooh it's fabulous. A rumbling, gnarling and banging beefy beast that sounds like it wants to tear someone's head off - and all below 6000 rpm. Lord knows what the arrows sound like.
    What's it going to be like when run in...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    What was your previous bike? Sounds like a MT09.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jez1050S

Jez1050S Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Bristol
    I had a similar experience on my test ride a week or so ago.
    The demo bike was run in though so got to give it a few more revs.
    I didn’t use sport mode and didn’t get anywhere near full throttle at full revs but it still felt VERY rapid.
    So much torque but still tons of power at the top end. That triple is an amazing engine
    Still debating the hard vs easy run in argument. I see some sense in both but not sure I could actually run it hard enough on the road to follow the hard run in protocols.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DiNO

DiNO New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    South Gloucestershire
    Yes, close enough, an XSR900. A very good bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m performing a hard break in and loving the higher rpms. It’s a fantastic motorcycle. For me it ticks all the boxes and is drop dead gorgeous. As far as the riding modes go sport mode does bring the bike to life for sure, and is perfect for the twisties. Road mode has a very smooth throttle response, and I like it best for everything but aggressive riding. I guess you can tell I’m impressed with the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1