Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, Dec 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Hello all its this ageing ol Norfolk boy here again. Spark plugs on all the bikes I've owned have always been a relatively easy job not even worth a discussion.
    So I am thinking my beautiful Bonneville 2011 and 8000mls thinking I bet she has the original plugs, I know I thought she can have a new set.
    Went in the garage to complete this easy task, No not an easy task, there is a bloody great air injection pipe in the way.
    Do that pipe really have to come out to change plugs???

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    No but it certainly helps otherwise you need a thin walled socket like the cheap freebies you get with a lawnmower. At 8,000 miles there is every chance your plugs are fine - especially if they are iridium - and will barely need re-gapping.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    As an elite member, what are your views on removing the air injection system completely, I am told that exhaust bluing would decrease, and the bike will run much better?? however I wouldn't rush into this without good advise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And who says my advice is good?! Elite simply means I rabbit more than some......

I would take my cue from efi owners who have done it. It is certainly excess baggage on the carbed bikes for pretty nominal emissions benefits.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    The best reason for removal I can find, the engine will run much cooler reducing exhaust bluing, which sounds quite good to me.????

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Not the engine, per se, but the exhaust. The fresh oxygen allows unburnt fuel in the exhaust port and header to burn off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    I reaIise loosing the popping, the popping do not bother me. I just want the best for my engine, Ive heard running cooler, reduced exhaust blueing, is the correct ??? maybe just leave alone looking for suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #8 MadMrB, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    It reduces the heat in your exhaust, as the AIS system burns some of the un-burnt fuel in the exhaust causing your exhaust headers to get very hot, which increases the amount of bluing of the chrome.

It is very easy to remove, and you can always re-install if you ever wanted to return the bike to standard. I only have very limited mechanical ability, and I found it a simple task to get rid of it.

Delboy talks about getting Micra sump plugs, but I would recommend getting an AIS removal kit, there are loads available from many suppliers. This is the one I used: https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/t...pass-carb--efi-models-bc1002-006r-38310-p.asp which has nice low profile allen bolts and all the washers, caps, and air box plug that you need. .

[​IMG]

This is an exploded diagram of all the parts you could liberate from your bike (you remove the assembly almost completely intact just disconnecting the tubes):

AIS.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Thanks for the info mad b, just about to do this job myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    #10 Malcolm Woods, Dec 9, 2019
    yes thank you for that, having carried this out on you bike, what noticeable difference have it made.??? thank you again. also is there any ECU re mapping required??

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Less exhaust popping, I have after market silencers and there is now just enough popping on overrun to make me smile, instead of being annoying. And the headers don't blue as much or as quickly.

I've made no ECU changes, no remapping required mine is a carb model not EFI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Malcolm Woods.
    Yes I just removed the pipes complete with the metal injection prods. My pipes were blue but have got no worse since. Just my opinion but it seemed to make the throttle response much sharper and raspier. I just blocked the unit with two plastic corks and it works great. Of course I had to get the two bungs for the cylinder head.But I love it the bike is just so different.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #13 Callumity, Dec 9, 2019
    Malcolm, the long and short of it is that the emissions regs and testing regime that required the switch to efi from carbs creates a lean condition as you come off idle. Most of the mods from SAI removal to opening up the airbox smooth throttle response as well as cooling the header temperature. I can’t speak from personal experience for the efi model but a few tweaks certainly make carb model much more rideable and apparently the efi too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    #14 Malcolm Woods, Dec 9, 2019
    yes thank you for that, having carried this out on you bike, what noticeable difference have it made.??? thank you again
    I am pleased I started this debate, and reading the replies I am tempted to remove the SAI, Its the cooling and allowing the engine to breath better that is selling it to me. As Mad MrB be says it can always go back on again if MOT emission laws change, I want to do some fairly long distance ride out on my bike and hate to think that in the dark I would see me headers glowing red, cannot believe this, but that's what I've heard. My bike is a EFI but still needs assurance that no ECU remapping is necessary as this is a task I cannot personally undertake.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I did it on my 865EFI Speedmaster :)
    No remapping needed :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes same here. Did nothing bike was better and I smiled all day.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Im persuaded, it will be a after Christmas job in my garage heater on and music playing, Many Many thanks to all replies.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Sorry to run on but been in the garage and looked around the bike to see what was entailed, I have had a thought, what's the need to remove the tank, am I correct in thinking that if I removed the pipes in the cylinder head and fitted the blanks (Nissan Micra sump plugs) and flexible pipes just under the tank, then remove pipe into the air box, blank the air box, will this not have the same effect.??? Obviously I would be leaving a couple of components in place under the tank but cannot see in my mind how that would matter.
    Thanks all
    mallywoods

19. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hey Malcolm,

I too removed my SAI, but before doing so I checked the spark plugs from the time to time and even replaced them once (with SAI still in place). Didn't have a problem with that at all, just used a spark plug socket for it (one of those long ones with a bit of rubber inside to cushion the spark plug and hold it when you remove it).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Viking

The Viking Member

May 7, 2019
    North Norfolk
    :scream::scream:
    Hi dilligaf, mine was already off when I got the bike, but run a bit rough, on inspection the stopper on the air filter box was missing so put a bung in it and it helped a lot, that was a long time ago,
    I took some new pics of my bike last week as I put gaiters on her and was going to post them, but i noticed that the exhaust header I could see was glowing red hot, couldn’t see it at the time and the bikes is running fine.
    Should I be worried about this :scream:
    Bike has carbs.

• Agree Agree x 1