Spark Plugs Fouled???

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by JOE SHUTA, Dec 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JOE SHUTA

JOE SHUTA Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Vestal, NY
    My '05 Speed Triple 1050 has been put away for winter storage. I periodically start it and run to temp and then shut down. I tried starting it recently (3 times...3 different times) and it just cranks but not starting or even "firing" to any degree. I smell gas and think maybe the plugs are fouled. I'm thinking of taking the NGK CR8EK plugs out running a set of NGK CR8EIX (Iridium series) plugs.

I see that the standard plug is listed as a CR9EK. ??? Any comments from those whom have used the Iridium NGK plugs??? Any real issues w/going to (continuing to use) the hotter 8's? I bought the bike last year from original owner w/10K on it and the 8's were in it at that time. Ran fine but it did foul out the far right plug once this past fall and it was hard to start/not starting...so I did change all 3 plugs a short time ago (using another set of NGK CR8EK plugs). May have other issue(s) if this continues to happen. Thought "maybe" the Iridiums might help w/the start/foul issue. No fun changing plugs on these 1050's!!!

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Don’t confuse the correct length and heat range of a plug with its regular/platinum/iridium construction. Iridium lasts longer - it is highly resistant to erosion as well as allowing a finer tip which enhances spark efficiency.

Starting problems as you describe are more likely down to old fuel that has lost its more volatile elements combined with cold and damp making fuel atomise less readily. The plugs will only foul if your injectors are way too rich (pretty unlikely) or you are burning oil...... which you would smell.

My working suspicion is you have a low mileage 12+ yr old bike that needs a good dose of Seafoam to flush through the entire fuel system. Now? Drop in some fuel stabiliser and agitate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JOE SHUTA

JOE SHUTA Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Vestal, NY
    Fuel is fresh non-ethanol high test w/a stabilizer added and I actually did a Seafoam treatment earlier when bike was running fine. Possibly the "cold & damp" that you mention could be affecting it.

Figured I'd try the Iridium plugs anyway...as it's such an annoyance to go through all the steps to just change spark plugs w/this particular model.

Thanks for your input.

1050-2.PNG

1050-3.PNG

• Like Like x 5
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Maybe a clue is why somebody has chosen a hotter plug over book.
    Is it, or has been, used for a load of short runs?

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’m not a fan of just starting the bike without giving it a run, maybe you don’t need better spark plugs, get it going and give it a good run to clear it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I just got a set of iridium sparked off eBay at £7.55 each, better than the standards at Halfrauds for over £10

Going in my mates FZS600 that was in storage for 15 years

Supposedly very good for easier starting and longevity

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I had the same problem with a 2010 GSXR, it was purely down to just starting up and not taking it for a ride, never did it again without a run and no problem for the five years I owned it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Starting a cold engine either carb or fuel injection will just result in over rich air/fuel mix and if the engine doesn't get fully warm it will always foul the plugs to some degree, hotter plugs will help but may not be ideal once the engine is at WOT and full ignition advance, fitting iridium plugs wont help as they are just longer lasting and have no performance advantage as some seem to think.