Spark Plug Snapped Off In Hole

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sean Austin, Jul 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Hi Guys
    Need a little advice.
    I have a speed triple 1050 on the 10 plate in blazing orange which is my pride and joy I had an issue with it not starting or getting any life from the dials while on the Isle Of Man for the TT this year. Upon returning home I done some digging and with some advice from my local triumph dealer decided it was the ignition switch. Removing the ignition switch required quite a strip down so when it was stripped I decided to do an oil and plug service. While installing the centre plug it snapped off in the hole! I had my torque wrench set at 10nm NGK recommend 10-15nm and it didn't get there! After 5 mins of panic and sweating I calmed down enough to figure out how to remove the threaded part of the plug from the hole. My questions are There is a chance that a piece of swarf of a very small fragment of metal may have fallen into the chamber. How will I know? will it work its way out? and is it possible the fragment is so small that it may not be an issue? I did put a telescopic magnet into the hole afterwards but it came up clean. I am just a bit worried, Thankyou in advan

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The only way to feel assured is to stick an airline down with as much pressure as you can to blow out any foreign crap.

3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think you'd be very unlucky to have fragments in the hole after doing the magnet trick but do the airline method as well.
    I've never used a torque wrench to put a plug in :confused: use the force Luke (I don't even like starwars:joy:)and never had a problem in 40 years of pissing about with engines:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.
    10 Nm is nothing just a SLIGHT nip. I would check your Torque wrench. I think you are ok as far as swarf goes. Stick the end of your hoover in there with a narrow tube taped on the end. Then move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Agree with the vac method. Does it look like there is anything missing from the knackered plug or the thread in the plug hole? You may not have anything in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Thanks Sprinter. I know 10nm is nothing but I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to plugs. I have changed countless plugs in my time and always used the torque wrench
    since I snapped a plug 10 years ago and all have been fine since even the two others on my triple went in no probs. I can be very heavy handed so it stops me going to far!

7. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Thanks Yorkshireman
    The plug hole is 10mm wide and about 6 or7 inches down from the top of the engine so access is very limited but I will give it a go, cheers

8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

This is why I say you need to check your wrench

9. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Sorry Sprinter, Why? because I am heavy handed? or you thought the wrench was 10 years old?(its 18months old) or because its a torque wrench and it needs to be checked after a while?:confused:

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You could get a little endoscope type camera and have a look, very cheap and available

11. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Cheers Crispey, that's a good shout!

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Because the spark plug snapped

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I am presuming you referring to the ceramics snapping and it will be because you had the plug socket at an angle, the only thing your likely to get is a bit of the ceramic fall into the cylinder as you removed the plug, in which case the hoover approach will work, anything small will get expelled when the engine starts anyway and is unlikely to connect with anything on its way, you would be surprised what can pass through an engine.
    As said a plug just requires a tweak to make secure, i have seen so many heads with ruined plug threads, and helicoils as a result of people swinging in them, i haven't used a torque wrench in the last 45 years other than the odd torques the angle bolts on some con rods and mains

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Hi Tricky Dicky
    Thanks for your comments and advice. The plug broke at the top of the thread right where the crush washer sits. I am always careful putting plugs in and now that one has broken using the wrench I think I will take yours and others advice and just "feel it" I think it may have been a faulty plug because I took it back to where I bought it and the guy didn't even quibble , just gave me a new plug for free! Going back to your comment about things passing through the engine surely if a fragment of metal from the plug has fallen into the cylinder there is no way out once a plug is in? I am not sure what it looks like inside the cylinder of my speed triple so I don't know if there is a possible way out? Sean

15. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Hi Sean, that's the first time i have heard of a plug breaking at the thread, that's why i mentioned about seeing so many heads with the thread striped due to gorilla tightening, what make was the plug, did you examine the broken one closely to see the likelihood of any of it dropping into the cylinder?

As said by others a decent hoover held to the plug hole will likely get anything out, although it will work better if once you have done it once slowly bring that cylinder up to TDC on the firing stroke so both valves are closed and try again this will reduce the area and most likely get any larger particles out.

I have seen turbos fail and found the ceramic parts of the turbine in the exhaust, and found no resulting damage to the cylinder or head, so doing the procedure static with a hoover will likely get anything out, and if you are worried have another go with a magnetic stick as well, personally i would do that and then try and start it....but i make no guarantees i'm afraid

16. Sean Austin

Sean Austin New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Southampton
    Cheers tricky
    Once again thanks for you advice. I have put in many plugs over the years in both bikes and cars I have had the porcelain break above the nut once but never the thread! That’s why I think the plug was faulty there was virtually no pressure applied to it before it snapped and the fact that the motor factors gave me a replacement NGK plug for free makes me think they have come across this before. Anyway I put the bike on the road today with new plugs K&N filter cleaned the throttle bodies tightened the throttle cable and it runs like a dream very peppy done 150 miles on it. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Glad its sorted, i doubt you will have any problems if you have don 150mls on it, never heard of an NGK plug do that before i nearly always use them, anyway enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    10mm spark plugs ? 16mm is the smallest i have seen.

19. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Great to know.