Featured Touring Spain To Blighty-hopefully

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Smilinjack, Jun 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    As some will know, I'm flying to Spain on Saturday in order to collect my Sprint and ride it home. So Brittany Ferries email to tell me my ferry next week is cancelled :scream: Feckin hydraulics have crapped out on the Pont Aven. Having recovered from my initial meltdown, I got through on the blower and have had to rearrange and will now be sailing back from St Malo, which of course is in northern France : unamused: Looking on the bright side my ferry fare is £155 less, which will be refunded, I got a spit over £100 assistance with onward travel costs, and they will reimburse me one night's hotel to a maximum of 80 Euro. So it's worked out OK. The actual distance is only around 350 miles more, my extra costs will easily be covered by the mathematics given above, and I'm getting a bit longer ride than I expected, although I won't see the Picos. But I don't suppose anyone will move them for a while-another time eh? On balance I'll take it. :)

• Like Like x 14
  2. freck

freck Senior Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Sounds like it’ll be a great ride though Jack, hope the weather holds out for you. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Pretty much settled on my itinerary. Got two full days now at the flat to fix the car and catch a few rays, get to Bielsa first day's ride, relatively short distance, then I have the following morning to cross the Pyrenees. TBH crossing France will need to be a bit of a slog so just plot up in Ibis Angouleme, straight off in the morning to get to Dinan at a decent time as it looks a really nice town. Then about 40 mins next morning to the ferry, which sails and docks same day. A bit pissed about it all, but life's an adventure eh? :cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck on the ride mate, sounds to me like an adventure. Angouleme is a nice town, hope you have some time to explore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    I won't. That's my whistle stop, just get a quick butcher's for the afternoon. Looking forward to Dinan, love Brittany. And the Pyrenees of course. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Pity, never mind ..... I'm sure you will enjoy anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. freck

freck Senior Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I have fond memories of St Malo and Brittany in general as I visited there a lot as a youngster.....only a couple of years ago obviously :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Same here mate. My first overseas bike trip was Brittany, in 1982 on a Z650 powered hardtail chopper :eek:. St Malo, Mont St Michel, Vannes is lovely, not been to Dinan before but it looks nice enough. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Win, win mate I would say, longer ride, hopefully nice weather to do it in & a shorter ferry crossing. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Just got one more hotel booking to finalise, and I'm done. Again, I can't help smiling at the way Spanish hotels are. Got a double (single occupancy) with balcony overlooking the mountains, breakfast and a welcome drink on arrival, 54 Euro. Got my confirmation email, but no hint of requiring a card number. Just, "see you when you get here", basically. This is quite a regular occurrence, rather old school. So nice to have a bit of trust involved. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. colin51154

colin51154 New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Radstock
    We are booked on the Pont aven on the 18 June. to Santander, hope it's repaired by then. If not I will go a day early and ride down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karenh

Karenh Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Nottinghamshire
    Hope you have a great time and make some great memories. I’m sure the weather will be kind to you until you hit England :p make sure you lots of pics. Enjoy the ride :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Due back in service 14th June they hope. Fingers crossed for you chap :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. colin51154

colin51154 New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Radstock
    We are booked on the Pont aven on the 18 June. to Santander, hope it's repaired by then. If not I will go a day early and ride down.
    Wife phoned Brittany ferries and they said it will be sailing on the 14 June but it will go from Plymouth now
    not Portsmouth. and it will only be running on 3 engines instead of 4. Bloody hell. I expect as a back up they have got a large sail, 2 seagull outboard motors, and a few oars.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gazzatriumph

Gazzatriumph Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    There's plenty of oars in Plymouth;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Well, not the best of starts. Flight 2 hrs late into Barca, so l missed the 3.00 train l normally get. 5.00 train is full :eek: next one 7.30. Feck that, got the stupidly named Regional Express and can change at l'Aldea, in Vinaros 19.41. And every cloud etc, fare was €7.75 :grinning:
    To put it in context, it 's about like going from London to Leicester with a change at Kettering. So l can afford a taxi from the station tonight and a bit of a nosh out somewhere. :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Good job your not in a hurry eh! :mad:
    Hope the rest of your trip goes better mate, :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Better luck with the next phase..... enjoy your nosh...

19. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Ah, well. Train was standing room only for the first hour, then when l got off not a taxi to be seen or summoned. Nothing else for it, l walked the 6 km to the apartment. Here now, cooling off with a beer, maybe just cook myself a bit of pasta. Quite a day, but a happy ending :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Happy days eh!

• Like Like x 1