Sour Grapes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cliverdee, May 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Just a bit of a joke of course but I wonder if we could persuade the Government to bring in a law banning cyclists from smiling so much when out ‘exercising‘ whilst we have to keep our bikes locked up except for the essentials... nearly all the ones I see have beaming smiles of joy & delight permanently on their faces which leads me believe their outings are designed for a 10% exercise and a 90% fun factor... as I say it’s only a slight taste of sour grapes, but it does remind me what I’m missing every time I’m out for my once a day walk and the cyclists smile by on the current traffic-less roads... :confounded:

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Get yourself a push bike cliverdee and join in the fun it’s still 2 wheels, I like getting out on my mountain bike but off road but I am one of the unlucky bastards with a pre- existing condition so I can’t even go on the push bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I used to enjoy cycling years ago -it was great for fitness, but in my old age I prefer horsepower to leg power. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hmm! I’d put my smile down as being more of a grimace

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    How old are you JtC ? If you don’t mind me asking.

6. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I don't mind at all. I won't answer, though. j/k I'm 57, but have been battling the big C for about a year and a half now. Chemo has a way of making you feel much older. LOL

• Like Like x 5
  7. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    very sorry to here that JtC ,my dad had lots of chemo which knocked the stuffing out of him but he beat the cancer but it was hard on his body like you describe,fingers crossed for you JtC .

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Greatly appreciated and kudos to your dad! We ain't skeered. We will win! :cool:

• Like Like x 7
  9. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Cycling is fun and a source of exercise, I don't mind them on the road as long as they stay line astern it's those barstewards who keep to line abreast some times in threes that annoy me.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Pedant alert!
    Sometimes,I say sometimes it is safer and better to ride two abreast as a car is only passing the length of one bike in effect. This is stated in the HC. I am a cyclist too and I always try to let traffic past if I can but I will ride in the middle of the road if it stops a vehicle squeezing past when unsafe.
    Pedant alert over. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Its unsafe when you are riding line abreast :)

12. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I wouldn’t like to ride a bicycle anywhere near a road... the mismatch of speeds between cars & cycles and the general impatience of drivers when stuck behind cyclists seems to flick a brain switch after about 10 seconds of slowing to a crawl... and unsafe overtaking is almost inevitable, mostly putting the vulnerable cyclist in danger. When cyclists appear to deliberately block cars from overtaking, usually because the road is narrow or blind bends, drivers get even more incensed by the inconvenience to slowing their journey...and the patience time drops to about 5 seconds before being compelled to overtake in the most dangerous of places... it would be nice to think we all could have more time for each other’s road usage after this covid business but I doubt it ... glad I have no inclination whatsoever to try and ride a pedal bicycle on the roads in this day & age...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    "Fitness Singles".

They are single for a reason methinks.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2