Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Soon To Be Trumpet Owner!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Flashp, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Flashp

Flashp New Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Portsmouth, UK
    Evening all, got my deposit down on a silver Thruxton R today, so looking forward to this experience.
    I got a call from a dealer whom I visited some time ago when I was thinking about a Striple but that didn't pan out as I was waiting to sell a car. Roll on a few months later I got a call requesting some assistance in getting the dealers test ride numbers up before year end...come and ride anything you like he said.

I chose two for the hell of it, no plans to buy at all. First up, a Tiger Sport 1050 which was OK but I just didn't gel with it. Second ride of the day was the Thruxton R and it just 'clicked'. I sold it to myself, he didn't have to do a thing!

Anyhow, I'll be having the Track Racer Kit with it which is likely to be fitted bar the tank strap and fairing. Really not sure about those parts. I also like it completely stock tbh.

Never been on a bike which gives so much back to the rider, it doesn't seem to matter how fast you go on it the effect is the same!

Roll on delivery day....

Going to be asking for advice here on cleaning and care products for the array of different surfaces. Wheel and hub brushes seem like they'll be needed so feel free to advise.

Cheers for now.

Ashley.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ThruxM

ThruxM New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    Bought mine in May and absolutely love it. Done 7000 purely pleasure miles. Used to ride an FZR1000 and now I'm a complete convert. Its not so great for touring though (I just can't put a tank bag on that gorgeous tank yet).

Not sure I've got the hang of keeping it gleaming like new but I try for this bike - and I was never a great cleaner of vehicles! My current approach is to wash it carefully and regularly after rides, dry off nooks and crannies with compressed air, and never leave it sitting covered in crud. I use Autoglym polish on paint and various shiny bits like the top yoke. I'm about to invest in some ACF for winter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Feb 28, 2015
    Northampton
    Hi Mate,

A very warm welcome to the best vehicle forum on the net! :)

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Loudest member
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    Hi mate and welcome

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Sounds like you've bought it to ride. :grinning:
    Good on yer!

6. littleade

littleade Elite Member
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    Welcome in.

Have a look at Stuart Fillingham on youtube on how he keeps his Bonneville in good condition;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. R_1000

R_1000 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Active Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Hello Ashley,
    Welcome to the nut house you should fit right in. Just so you know when you get your bike the inmates love photos.enjoy you new bike.
    Tucker:mask:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Angus

Angus Active Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Welcome in Ashley ! You bought a very nice motorcycle congratulations.

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)
    Don't get drawn in to the over-complicated washing routine. My feeling is that the more complex it is and the more products you think you need will make sure you don't do as frequently as you might.
    My Tiger is used in all weathers and is washed (cold water when salt on roads) with a bucket and sponge and rinsed off with a hose pipe, then sprayed with Scottoiler FS365 and left to it.
    The Bonneville I try not to get too mucky if I can help it but I tend not to wash it but rather wipe it down with cheap Aldi (other brands are available) baby wipes and polish off with Mr Sheen. Works for me and it's quick so I don't mind doing it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bikerman

Bikerman First Class Member
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    y151.gif Ashley and welcome2a.gif to the forum from Lincolnshire.
    Hope you'll enjoy your new Thruxton R and the forum too.
    Any chance you can nip down to where HMS Queen Elizabeth's being commissioned into the Royal Navy today and take lots of pictures please. Well you can only ask can't you. camera_8b.gif
    y115.gif y115.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. littleade

littleade Elite Member
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    It's his bike and he can wash it as often as he likes :laughing:

Joking apart Steve I use FS365 too, but when I got my bike after having a lay off for a number of years I found it a bit of a minefield about what to use to try and protect my new bike, especially now all modern bikes seem to be more prone to corrosion. The lesson I learnt was as Stuart points out in his vid is that prevention is the key- I got caught out on mine while away in Scotland where they salted the roads and by the time I got home corrosion had already set in. As you mention FS365 here's something I watched earlier....:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    You purchase experience similar to mine. I knew I was going to buy a Triumph, but which one?? One hour road test bonnie T120 (nice, loved the looks, comfy enough, was left a little bit underwhelmed with suspension & brakes) salesman listened to my concerns & rolled out a new Thrux R. Have a go on that he said. Wow I had bought the bike in my head after a couple of minutes. 40 miles later, a deposit was laid. No regrets at all

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Toured through Belgium, France, Germany this summer. About 1800 in 5 days. Much more comfy than I thought it was going to be. Luggage, leather panniers & magnetic tank bag, plenty of room. Economy good as well if you keep it below 80 mph

• Like Like x 1