Soon To Be New Owner From Utah - A Few Q

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Warren71, May 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Warren71

Warren71 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    Hi all.

just about to trade my 2010 street triple for a new '19 speedy RS.

The bike JUST arrived in a box yesterday ... and Im getting a bit of cold feet giving up my baby for its big brother.

Hoping to gain some midrange and be a bit less flighty / more planted on the roads, but still maintain the comfort of the street (most comfy bike I've ever owned) and the fact that that bike but a grin on my face like no other !

At 30,000 mi ... it was getting old and time for an update ... plus I've gained 20 pounds in that time so the bike had to keep up with that issue ;-) (now widening to 190 but shrinking to 5'9 - all muscle I keep telling my wife, she ain't buying it)

Questions:
    1) The cant forward on the seat - you folks have issues sliding forward or getting wedgies as your rear slides forward and your pants tug at you? Seriously .. on a test ride on a '17 that was my only major issue. I kept readjusting except for when I was tucked and screwing around.

2) Do the bar-end mirrors vibe above 4000? This bike's did, but I don't read that anywhere else, so I'm hoping it was just that particular bike.

3) Any complaints of engine heat in traffic?

4) Protection: debating fork and frame sliders (triumph vs R&G) and radiator protectors (Triumph vs evotech)? Anyone with a thought on that?

Despite the position, does anyone cover that oil cooler ... I only found something from evotech.

Beyond that, I think a tail tidy (evotech or Motodynamic integrated tails) and some LED indicators from rizoma are in order, then I may pause for a bit.

Was thinking Oxford grips over high $$$ OEMs if I find i need it.

Aside from the seat position and the worry I'd giving up a bit of roominess and comfort for power and a more planted ride on the highways ... I think this looks on paper like the perfect bike. I trying to melt a BMW 1200 RS and a street together and this is the closest I can figure ! Plus the street is the ONLY bike Ive kept for 9 years .. says something about how good that was.

Anything else I should cosider?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    You will love the bike, comfort I have found spot on. Mirrors don't vibrate at all on mine and I have ridden very fast on the Isle of man and at high revs in most gears and no issues. Evotech tail tidy is definitely the one, rad guard I haven't fitted. I fitted an sc project S1-GP can the other week and that's saved a lot of weight and sounds perfect. The Triumph heated grips are worth the money in my opinion as they are really tidy setup. I would personally go for the quickshifter, not cheap but it works perfectly on my rs and once I got used to it I wouldn't want to be without it.
    Hope my thoughts help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    thanks much !

crazy ... got a call from a dealer 6 hours away on a demo with 300 miles on it of organized track days for a $1500 off net of all fees ... 1st service done, albeit early, so i'd do an oil change again in a few hundred just for my own piece of mind.

the next one that comes into local dealer gets built Wednesday, but I'm so bloody tempted to drive down and grab the demo instead. Local guys were only giving me 1/2 off 1st service and about 500$ off the bike and the usual "10% of accessories, but we wont fit em"

the demo is discounted $2000.

Thoughts?

Im really tempted to take a 1 day mega road trip and save the cash !

Hopefully doesn't offend the only local triumph dealer in the process.

oh - I love the idea of the low slung SC project - gorgeous! I have one on my street .. its a bit louder than I like even with the baffles in, but what a great sound!

who thinks the track demo with 300 mi is worth 12 hrs drive to save $1,500 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    I do just for the ride home!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Sounds a good deal

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome. The bike is absolutely awesome. I have a 2016 street triple as well and the speed is so much better in every respect. Some of us are having quick shifter issues but not everyone. Personally I would take the demo as the break-in was done properly on a race track. Have a look around this form and you’ll see what people have done to the bikes as far as protection as well as mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    When I bought my speed rs there were lots of chats about the quickshifter, I tried a demo with it on and that made my mind up. The forum is good as it covers all these points

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    24 hours and 850 miles later, she's in the garage !!!!!

Saved a little over 2,000 buying the demo (even after travel costs), which will buy me some nice goodies with cash left over (unless I change to a SC project). Dealer was even kind enough to install the few accessories they had on hand free that were on my list of charge (which my dealer in Utah never does).

Will be an interesting few months as I acclimate from the smaller 675 to this.

First things I noticed:

Looks and sounds great!
    Soaked up highway miles WAY better than the street.
    Seemed just as flickable as the street on locals and canyons.
    A modest power increase in the low to mid range, though not as dramatically as expected (I may have been being a bit dainty)

Seating position was more snug than I like, but not in any way uncomfortable.

More engine heat ... i think not only does the engine itself put off more heat, but the bike blocks more wind to the legs. I'm pretty heat sensitive well see how that goes. It was 93 where I picked up the bike.

Today, I have to register it locally and put in an order on line for a few farkles.

Gonna be a fun summer.

My wife thinks its not as "cute" as the street ... oh well. She never rides on it anyway.

I was quite sad trading it in though ... I couldn't even look it in the eyes. 30,000 miles was a fun journey ... it just needed more of what the speed had and I was started to have to do repairs every month or two ... a bad sign of old age.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum Mate, enjoy your new ride, as a matter of interest did you consider/try the 765RS Street?

12. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    yes ... I was sooooo torn.

I knew if I bough a litre bike, it was to be a speed (that took lots of rides)
    If it were swapping to another middle weight, it was a street (easy call)

it was all about 765 vs 1050 for me.

coming from a 675, the 765 seemed like a small improvement and I wasn't convinced It'd feel worthy of the $$$.

But I kept the street R for 30,000 mile and 9 years, while other bikes stay in my garage for 2-4 years, so you can tell how much I loved riding her.

I got enough of a break on the speed (250 miles) that that will take out a lot of the depreciation if I decide after the summer that the 765 really was a better fit.

I wanted more mid range and a less flighty ride / more planted ride than the old street offered ... Speed seemed better suited.

Will see.

But i did love the intimacy and small bike feel that 765 has and its just a perfect bike ergonomically and for the size, the powers spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    I'm sure you will enjoy as many miles on your new bike. Always tough to change when you really like something but it's the best bike I've ever owned, in my opinion. I tried the steer triple 765 which is a great bike but the speed was and is the one. Enjoy it mate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Thanks for the insight, I tried the 17 Speed R when my Street RS went in for first service, afterwards I knew I had chosen the right bike for me. When the Street went in for 1st year service I tried the 18 Speed RS, strangely it wasn't fitted with a quick shifter, so the ride on that didn't quite get my vote over the 765RS, but i had improved a lot over previous models.
    They are both awesome bikes, if you hadn't tried the bigger brother you would have always wondered, what if, hope you enjoy it so much you keep her for 9 years as well!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    Almost felt like I had to make the jump. I was ready to trade the '10 street - it was showing its age.

Buying another 765, I would have always wondered if I should have jumped to the 1050.

This way I get to fully immerse myself in it for the summer. If it works, awesome. If it doesn't, Ill swap to the 765 without regret.

;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    You will have a brilliant summer, had mine for a year just and done a Scotland road trip and our usual Isle of man week and the bikes superb. Keep us updated how things go.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    #17 SteveRS, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Congrats! I believe you made a great choice. Here’s my take on it, as I’m a Street owner as well.

I’ve owned a 16 Street for 2 years and loved it. Over those two years I found that bike did lack two things for me. 1- Adjustable suspension, as it was the non R version. Don’t get me wrong it was still really good, the suspension just wasn’t good enough for aggressive riding on bumpy roads. 2 - It lacked passing power on the highway. I was getting tired of having to gear down 2-3 gears to have the power I needed to over take traffic. I also thought it would be a good safety investment to have traction control.

So, I thought the updated 765 should be the perfect bike with larger displacement and a top end suspension. After riding the RS version I had two takeaways. 1 - The suspension was exactly what I was looking for. It felt light years ahead of my base 675. 2 - The 765cc engine didn’t really feel much more potent than my ECU flashed 675 with a SC Project slip on. I was quite surprised by the lack of additional torque and power that I was expecting. On the test ride I wrung it’s neck to get everything I could out of it. Honestly I would be better off upgrading my suspension on the 675 than to spend many thousands more on the 765. Granted I wouldn’t get the electronics that the 765 has, but would have a great ride.

The Speed had everything I was looking for that was missing with the 765 I rode. I prefer the looks and ergonomics of the Speed as well. With the single sided swing arm and slightly higher quality finish, it’s just a stunning bike. The 675 in comparison feels a little on the small side. I’m 5’9” so not tall. The performance is far superior to the 765, with most of it in the low to mid range. You don’t need to wring it’s neck to have a spirited ride like you need to do with the 765, that’s probably what I enjoy most over the 765. I think if I was mainly riding in city and county roads I would have bought the 765, but on the open road the Speed rains supreme with the additional torque and power and a more planted feel. Now if I could just get the bloody bike out of the dealers shop and in running order I would be much happier.

18. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    #18 Taff, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    I agree with all of that.
    I had a street triple r 2012 and traded it for a speed triple r 2014 and have never looked back.
    I tried a street triple 765 rs and as above found the street triple 765 no significant improvement on the 675. I think they are better for high revving light handling track use than for general road use.
    The speed triple torque is totally unbeatable on the road. Power anywhere in the rev range in any gear and the handling of the speed triple r suspenders are peachy.
    Personally I don’t think the later speeds are much better than the earlier ones so I won’t be letting mine go for the foreseeable future.
    Mine hasn’t “been in the shop” in the 5 years I’ve owned it either.
    Triffic bike
    Taff

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1