Something Missing?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Waynedarcie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Waynedarcie

Waynedarcie Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Hi.ive got a 2012 1050 speedy .standard apart from low boy .I've spoke to a couple of people today who've ridden other 1050 speed triple and have described them as very fast/couldn't keep the front end down etc.
    Didn't sound like a description of mine .not sure if it's lacking or they where exaggerating the bikes they had ridden .not that I want to be popping wheelies all the time .but hate to think I was missing out on something..
    Any thoughts .
    Wayne

2. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Depends how hard you twist, i had the 2015 with abs and couldn't get it to wheelie till a mate said to roll on to about 20-30 mph in 1st, close quickly and then jerk back on...

Now have the 2016 s and only way I can wheelie it is to turn the tc off...but others have said it doesn't need to be off

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    I'm ok with the 1st gear roll. When I bought the bike the sales guy shouted after me "watch out for those wheelies ".dont know what I was expecting .
    Love the bike .very planted etc .was just wondering if they are restricted in some way (not just by me☺).?

4. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    It could be combination of your height and body weigh, people are different weights and lighter people will get front up easy. I'm 12st 6lbs, 6ft tall and got long arms so sit further back and my 2012 with low boy will lift no probs in first, I'm going to drop to a 17 tooth front. :)
    Check gearing as may have been changed, but I doubt it has.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Yep .I'm 6ft and just short of 17 stone .
    What would a 17 tooth front sprocket achieve ?
    Would it alter the speedo reading (I do a lot of average speed cameras).
    Love acceleration. Not really interested in top spees

6. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I believe changing the gearing will alter the speed BUT wait till someone more knowledgeable confirm that..

Even if it did alter the speedo, you could always install Healtech Speedo healer and once calibrated your speedo will be spot on;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I test rode one, can't say it was a wheelie machine.Guys on bikes like to exagerate how fast / big they are, ride it how you want to, and enjoy it. Be 3 -6 points for a wheelie, but I'm just a boring ol' fart :p

My Tuono is, have to sit over the tank when accelerating hard or the front end goes very light, or over crests and it wants to lift.

If I'm honest, I do my best to not wheelie. Can get a bit annoying when you pull out to overtake and wheel starts to come up, so thats why I instintively lean forward to stop it.

Plus I crap myself every time it does go higher than a couple of inches. Too many youtube clips of it going badly, so not really wanting to. (6'2" ish, 17.5 stone btw)

I once rode home with a mirror for a 1200 bandit stuffed up my jacket (ask andypandy why), meant I couldn't lean forward, wheel wouldn't stay down. Try that, old mirror be cheaper than changing sprocket and speedo healer !!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Tune ecu...? Is that a dealer job ?

10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    No, free to download software that enables you to access the ecu, one of the many features is that speed is set by default to 100% which is changeable.
    Search this forum (and others) and you'll find plenty of info.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Tune ecu...? Is that a dealer job ?
    That's great
    Many thanks

12. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Looking for somebody to fit a speedo healer and new chain and sprocket/s .i live in southport .can anyone recommend any one ..doesnt have to be to local ..
    Many thanks in advance.
    Wayne

13. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Bit the bullet 3 up on the back ,new chain and front sprocket .to be fitted early next week .
    I'll let you know how I get on ..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I don't find the RS is trying to pull wheelies all the time, it will lift if enough throttle is applied in the right places?
    Wheelies are a bit meh? I prefer the way the front wheel just skips along the road when flat out in 4th, with a slight lean coming out of a corner is great fun?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Looking forward to getting the bike back...not a wheelie king by any stretch of the imagination.
    I'm just not bothered about top speed much prefer acceleration ..
    Happy days ..
    Hoping it's not going to be revving it's nuts off all the time .
    But well see

• Like Like x 1
  16. Waynedarcie

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    New chain and sprockets all done .3 up on the back..accelerates much cleaner and quicker ..much more fun on the twisties .had a speedo healer fitted at the same time ,spot on speed reading now.
    Great fun .thanks for all your help
    Wayne

• Like Like x 1