[solved] Throttle Return & Handlebar Change.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Samuel F, Aug 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Good morning fellow friends !

Question 1:

My throttle doesn't automatically return anymore. Of course I always have the habit of manualy roll the throttle back when its needed, but if I let go, it doesn't snap back to default position.
    An element I find hazardous.
    Is it an easy fix ?

Question 2:
    After taping my grips, see image here, I find them too bulky, and could use some thinning. I have seen pictures of bikes simply using the brooks grips, replacing the whole grip for something more stylish. So yes, it is purely an aesthetic problem. Is is something easily doable ? I have no knowledge of the interior mecanism of a throttle ( no shit, it's me... :p ) and doesn't know if it's just a plug and play system or if it takes more know-how than this.

I very much welcome links to videos you will find suitable to help.
    Thanks guys.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The first question is have you actually changed the bars? If the throttle does not return you have too much friction somewhere or a duff spring at the carbs. The former is more likely - lack of cable lubricant, too tight a bend in the cable or cleaning/lubing the twistgrip itself......or just possibly the new bars are a smidgen too tight on the grip.

3. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    No I haven't. The first thing I have done so far is simply wrap my grips in thin leather.

That must be a lubrification problem indeed, as I never "cared" for those in particular. Thanks for the answer.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #4 thebiglad, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Hi Billy I can't remember exactly what year your T100 is, but I'm sure it's newer than 2010 ? If I'm right then there are a couple of points to consider :

1. Your bike doesn't have carbs, it has fuel injection; &

2. Has this problem started since you wrapped the grips with leather?

I think you may find that in the process of wrapping, you have tightened the bit of the throttle that turns, and returns under it's own power.

That would be the first place I would check.

Also, if you want to change your handlebar grips, you need to ensure you get the right size. Most bike 'bars are 7/8th of an inch external diameter, but the std. 'bars on the T100 are 1 inch diam.

I've included a vid for you :

• Like Like x 1
  5. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    2015 Bonnie T100 Black.

You would totally be an error I could have done...

6. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Here is an image of the grip. Could the metallic tightener be so tight it blocks the return ?

ScreenCapture 2017-08-28 at 10.00.48.png

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well there's an easy way to find out isn't there? Just undo the retaining bolt a bit and see if the throttle returns on it's own.

Have you got any tools at all? If not, go buy yourself a pocket allen ket set, they're a bit like a folding knife but instead of blades they have different sized allen keys.

8. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Actually not that easy, ( for me duuuuh :D ) because these metal tighterner are "permanent" ( not 'easy' way to remove them) so Imma have to cut it off and see. :p (they're like a zip tie, but metaliic, once applied you twist the end to secure it's movement)

I have tools, many actually,. :yum (surprising, right ? )

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ah I see what yer saying now. It's not the end cap you want to remove it's the bands that are holding the leather bits onto the grips?

If that's right, just get a pair of pliers and using them grip the tightener at it's thickest point and turn until it snaps.

Unfortunately I think that during the installation of these leather pieces the metal tighteners have slightly crushed the throttle tube (the bit underneath the rubber grip) and in doing so have introduced friction.

Most peeps when they want to change the look of their 'bar grips, change the grips. Here's just a tiny selection of what I mean :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...TRS0&_nkw=motorcycle+handlebar+grips&_sacat=0

10. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I think that this is the most plausible explanation.
    Noobie mistake. :p

Cheers mate !
    And thanks for the links.

i'll delete the 'solved' tag in the title if it's not this. :)

11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Try undoing the switch cluster bolts and moving it away from the twist grip a bit, the twist grip could be too tight up against the cluster housing thus restricting its movement

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Alright, cheers.

13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Carbs indeed! Lookalike Throttle bodies have return springs too but it sounded like a twistgrip issue.......

• Like Like x 1