Solved-stuck Bolt-help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Repooh, Jan 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    so a combo of over tightened, over blue Locktited and a cheap ali 5mm hex has left me with a bolt with a circular hole (no longer hex) can’t budge the bastard

Dont have a workshop or welder or I’d weld a spanner to it, cant get wd40 in

What to do chaps, dont want to drill as will knacker hole which is required

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    More imfo please, does it get hot?
    Is it steel, stainless?
    Whats does it connect to? Steel/alloy.
    How long has it been in? Can you still ride the bike?

3. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks for you tips chaps

Recon I’ll take it down to Andy @Bulldog I’m confident he has bailed our other fucking idiots before

Its under the seat holding a Hepco & Becker C-Bow bracket on, I recall in my rush to fit it blobbing a ton of locktite on and Geoff Caping the bolt ( really need to buy a torque wrench)

Lesson learned - reinforces the saying “enthusiasm doesn’t make up for experience “. I just made that up

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Screws into frame
    Alloy bolt maybe
    3 months

Yep bike still servicable, taking off H&B C-Bow frame to fit pannier rails to see how Oxford Heritage panniers look

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #6 Sprinter, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Ok so dont mess it up too bad cos you still have the option of getting a welder or some heat on it. Be patient, If you can get something on to it, try working it 1mm tight 1mm slack no more than 20Nm at this stage.

Try a different make / model of Hex key on it, do you have Imperial?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've got some superwrenches I picked up at the Bike Show that are supposed to be ideal for jobs like that. Various sizes, including a small one. About £50 the set of four on Ebay. You can always ride up to Woburn and borrow mine (give me notice to bring them in to work) if you don't want to buy any. Iirc Wayne @Havit has some and reckons they are excellent.
    Superwrench.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Pick a suitable sized Torx key and hammer it into the head where the hex should be then you can try to undo the bolt after you warm it up possibly with a heat gun or small blow lamp to soften the Loctite ( which grade did you use ? ) the light blue one in generaly soft and comes out fairly easily.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I’ve used this method and it worked. The other solution is to weld a nut on to the stripped head, the heat from the welding helps release the thread and you can get a decent grip on the nut that’s been welded on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Please can you give us. Photo?
    You can get a kit from Halfords or off Amazon/eBay for £15 for removing rounder hex bolts or rounded screws etc

I used one today to remove a hex head pin from a rear caliper, hex was totally rounded, drilled in 3 or 4mm and set to with the remover tool
    Came out nice n quick

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well, as its possibly now dead, hit the thing dead on to shock the threads then whats left of the open head like oldyam said force an oversize torx bit in with a hammer then turn it very slowly and gently without jarring ie a wobble free movement should do something. If that didnt work as its aluminium drill the centre out and tap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Good tips chaps I shall be attacking the wee blighter tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I don't know where you are geographically, but if you are near J3 of the M40, I may be able to help using my assortment of tools...

14. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks for the kind offer

15. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    So Boltgate solved

Bought one of them screw removing jobbies, no good
    Heated the bolt, no change
    Smashed a Torx into the hole, no joy

After more expletives than I thought I knew, I just bashed to bejesus out of the head with a screwdriver and club hammer and it budged, went round and round for ages bashing the shit out of it and my knuckles and hey presto after just two hours the little turd is out

Thanks for all your input

Going to buy a torque wrench now and be more liberal with screw lock - user error

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Less liberal

good news well done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Be careful which threadlock you use some are permenant and need a LOT of heat to release.

18. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Glad it is solved. Couple of tips. Most bolts applications do not need lock-tight. Vibration is the usual cause of loose bolts or nuts. If properly torqued bolts should not come loose. Use lock-tight only on bolts that are not routinely unfastened as part of normal maintenance. When I use lock-tight, I use a toothpick to put a small amount of it on about a quarter of the threads. It naturally spreads out over the threads when the bolt is threaded in. Don't soak the entire tread area. Only a small amount is necessary. And let it dry properly before riding.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I never use locktite at all. I alway like my fixings lubed no matter where they are, callipers included. If it’s tightened right with correct nut/washer combination then it never really gives any problems.

My pet hate is dry seized fixings. Every time I buy a bike I go round the thing undoing bolts, nuts etc, lubing them and refitting them. I pick on the nasty looking areas that need most service work first. It really pays off!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1