So We Can Go Out Now ??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cliverdee, May 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    So as long as we STAY A LERT all the time and now don’t have to STAY HOME we can all go out on our bikes again ? .... at least that’s my interpretation of the new guidance for England... as it’s now ok to go out for a car drive to either a place for a picnic or the beach (or indeed exercise), it must be ok to go out for a ride... just to be on the safe side all you have to do is put a ham cob and a bottle of pop in your bag for your picnic .... not sure what a Lert looks like but probably all will be made clear later on by the scientific advisors ... seriously though as long as the NHS can now deal with non covid emergencies the risks are lessened and we can choose whether to take the risk of being hospitalised through an accident... am I right in my interpretation of the new rules? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I think it does!
    Quoting PMQ text on BBC we are now allowed to ‘Drive to open spaces irrespective of distance’
    We can go fishing as well, except the close season doesn’t end until June 16th:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I've just taxed the Thruxton and plan to go riding after Wednesday. If you can go to a garden centre and/or a golf club, I see no reason why you can't take your motorbike out for a leisure ride, adhering to the appropriate social distancing rules of course.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I to think it fair to say we should be able to go for a ride and stay safe. If someone gets close go faster problem solved. I intend to get my bike serviced Wednesday and take a spin out.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...the-uk-governments-covid-19-recovery-strategy

OUR PLAN TO REBUILD: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy

"People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.
    When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    See b badgers post in the corona virus thread.
    It does clarify things a bit more. :cool:

7. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    For "Devolved Administration" , please read "Lunatics"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Riding restrictions lift in England on Wednesday says No. 10 - so long as you maintain social distancing
    Published: Today 16:15Updated: Today 19:38
    [​IMG]
    1 of 2
    The government will on Wednesday remove restrictions in England that prevented all motorcycle journeys unless you were a key worker, or the journey was considered essential. In a speech on Sunday night, the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, said that you can "drive to other destinations" – however, it was unclear exactly what that meant.

Having spoken directly with a spokesperson at No.10, MCN can confirm this means you are allowed to ride a motorcycle "to any open spaces" with no limit on the distance from Wednesday, May 13.

However, they reiterated that this should be done alone, or only with members of your immediate household. The advice also stated that once you arrive, you should maintain a minimum of two meters distance from other members of the public. You'll also have to abide by the rules for travelling between countries within the UK, as you'll still be unable to cross from England into Scotland, Ireland or Wales, or vice versa. The "Stay at home" message remains in place in all countries other than England.

No.10 also confirmed that should the relaxation cause a spike in coronavirus transmission that threatens to overwhelm the NHS, then the rules will tighten back up once again.

It was also confirmed that should the rate of infections remain low, the government will look to reopen shops and cafes in June and July, meaning that bike dealerships and popular hang outs will be able to reopen so long as they can keep staff and shoppers safe.

So what does this mean for bikers?

In short, you can ride – but you should still exercise common sense. Just like every normal Spring, most of us have had a long time off the bike and our skills probably aren’t what they were six months ago.

At MCN we’ll be taking a considered approach, avoiding long or fast-paced rides for the foreseeable future and sticking to gentle jaunts into the countryside for changes of scenery and somewhere to grab a breath of fresh air. That might mean a great ride to the coast or the hills before chucking some trainers on to get your daily exercise, for example.

The temptation to simply return to normal riding is overwhelming, but do we really want biking to be vilified yet again, as it was when some were slow to comply with the start of lockdown?

Motorcycling is often perceived negatively by the public at large – but right now, stories of couriers and volunteers delivering medical supplies and community support has placed motorcycling firmly in the public’s good books. A sunny weekend of wailing redline torture, open pipes and unnecessary road accidents will quickly undo all that. But most of all, we want everyone to stay safe so that when everything really is back to normal, we’re all still here to enjoy it.

We will update this page when the advice changes again.

[​IMG]

Read the latest stories causing a buzz this week in News…

[​IMG]
    By Jordan Gibbons

News Editor, owns some old bikes. Should know better.

[​IMG]
    © 1955-2020 Bauer Media Group

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
    Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
    Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
    All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
    H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA (Ref No. 845898)

• Like Like x 1
  9. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    After seven weeks, why are they still talking about "key workers"? Surely journalists can read as well as write?

The only reference to key workers was in the section of the law that kept schools open for key workers' children. Everybody could always travel to work if they couldn't work from home (and if their place of employment hadn't been ordered to close, of course), and we could all use a motorcycle as we could use a car - for commuting, shopping, visiting a grave, etc.

Bloody journalists! [/rant]

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...i-ride-motorcycle-during-coronavirus-pandemic

Can I ride my motorcycle during the Coronavirus pandemic?
    Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not yet changed their advice of ‘Stay Home’, but residents of England are being told to ‘Stay Alert’ and from Wednesday 13 May, they can:

• Sit in the sun at their local park
    • Drive to other destinations (though not crossing into devolved nations)
    • Play sports with members of their own household
    • Meet other people if they maintain social distancing of 2m and use common sense

We have contacted the government’s Department for Health and Social Care, but there’s no obvious reason from 13 May not to take your motorbike to a location to relax, though we’d urge ALL riders to consider these important points:

• The pandemic is NOT over – the lives of our families and friends are still in the balance
    • Maintain social distancing of two metres at all times
    • Check your bike over carefully when it’s been unused for a while
    • If you put your bike on SORN, be sure to update it with the DVLA
    • If you didn't renew your bike insurance policy during lock down, do it now
    • Do you have an MoT? The six month extension only applies to bikes that were due an MoT AFTER 30 March.

• Do NOT ride in groups – the government states that we must not meet more than one other person from outside our household, and we must maintain social distancing
    • The government has clarified that ‘people may drive [riding a motorcycle comes under this term] to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there’ but it’s important that we don’t see large groups of motorcyclists congregating at single spots
    • You are an ambassador for motorcycling – ride with care and consideration
    • Be respectful of all other road users
    • Do not ride across the Scottish and Welsh borders unless necessary until those countries change their rules
    Screenshot_20200512-072325.png

:D:sun::D

• Like Like x 3
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Pinched from someone else:
    "So Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have to stay at home. Sounds more like the World Cup to me" :joy:

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Got to agree.
    Some people just can’t abide with simple requests, I can so I will and feck everyone else attitude.
    We saw pictures posted on here at the start of this outbreak large numbers of bikes parked up a riders congregating although social distancing was requested.

The media will be waiting to show pic/videos of groups on bikes and then joe public will be slating us off yet again.

It’s in our hands to act responsibly during these times.

Enjoy your ride everyone and be safe.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    You ain't got no choice at the moment :p ....sorry ;)

There will inevitably be some idiots with little or no common sense, there always has and will be, and that is where the police should focus their efforts. Those taking the piss should be dealt with firmly (as opposed to someone sat alone on a park bench for a few mins), but we can't keep legislating for a minority of prats.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    But the government will if it all goes tits up :(

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    True, unfortunately :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I think, as usual, common sense must prevail. Take a ride out if you want, but keep it short and keep it sensible.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    No, we voted for them instead.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Easy mate, my reference to your lack of choice was only my poor attempt at humor in relation to the fact that the devolved governments have not eased the restrictions yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I'm going to do more or less what I have been doing since the lockdown started, i.e. keeping my social distance from others outside my immediate family and only going shopping when I have to. Its just I will now be able to ride my bike too. It doesn't matter whether you hate the Tories/Labour/Lib Dems/ SNP other political parties exist too I believe so delete or add as applicable. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some people turn threads political.

Its down to YOU to stay safe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Everybody has their own view on what is safe and what is not in these difficult times. There is however no doubt that we need to start getting back to some sense of normality. Whether you agree with the decision that it is now, it is happening and only time will tell if it has been the wrong decision. I agree there are many who will likely abuse this new freedom, but frankly they were doing it prior to the change, and will likely continue after all this all over. I will be taking my bike out for a ride and will enjoy the experience whilst continuing to observe social distancing rules. :):)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1