Snatched throttle response.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Andy_S, Aug 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I've just recently bought a triumph america with 2,5k miles on the clock 61 plate. I've been out tonight to show off my new bike and buy the wife some new bike gear and I'm finding it difficult to make smooth progress. If I slowly open the throttle from closed it tends to snatch and if I'm doing a steady 30mph in 3rd gear I can feel the bike constantly hunting back and forth. Is this a common fault do we know? If so is there an easy (cheep) fix. Or am I being paranoid?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Andy

2. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Ok so reading around it seem o2 sensor removal and ais removal is a good place to start, so bits now on order. Waiting is the worst bit when you want to get things sorted.
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Woody

Woody New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Cornwall
    Is the mapping up to date?

4. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I'm not sure how I'd find out has there been any upgraded mapping since 2011?
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Andy

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Andy, if you're going to get involved with the spannering on your bike, may I suggest you search for the free download "TuneECU" and buy yourself a good quality OBD cable - this will allow you to make alterations to the electronic side of your new bike.
    The AI system and the O² sensors are there to allow the manufacturer to pass manufacturer pollution tests. These two systems compromise the throttle response from 0% to approx 10%, just the area you use when bimbling or manoeuvring.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Is the ttp lead the one to go for or does anybody have a recommendation.
    Cheers
    Andy

7. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Thanks for the suggestions looks like more money to spend. ..
    Andy

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's where I got mine and have had no trouble with it whatsoever.

9. Woody

Woody New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Cornwall
    Hi Andy
    You can always pop into your local dealer, if they are kind enough they could do it FOC? Only takes a couple of minutes.
    Sorry about the delay in responding away from a machine most of the day.

10. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Woody don't apologise, I'm more than happy when people are prepared to take the time to respond to my questions. Thanks to everyone who's replied. I'm new to triumphs haveing only owned one for a couple of weeks. So far I like the bike in general, hopefully I can get the fueling sorted and then sit back and enjoy. At the moment setting off and slow riding looks like I don't know how to use the clutch when in reality I'm having to slip it and ease it out with a lot more care than my other bike were I can just set off and creep along on tick over if needed. Anyway onward and upward, once my new bits arrive I'll get sorted and report back.
    Andy

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Get rid of the AI rubbish and the O² sensor and your throttle will be much smoother. I you need any help when doing the job, just let me know, OK?

12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Andy
    agree with all above suggestions, but have you also started the bike without using throttle, just cold start knob, and let it idle for a few minutes? this can set the TPS here's something you might find useful

Triumph uses the O2 sensor to adjust the fuel map at idle at lower throttle openings. This is suppose to happen as you ride; but depending on how far you ride and how you are riding it doesn't always happen. It requires the throttle opening to be within a specific range and the bike to be under a specific load condition for a specific amount of time. If all the variables are not met it doesn't readapt. So it's possible over a day of riding for the weather conditions to change enough to cause minor typically unnoticeable running conditions to develop. When the bike is new and breaking in the amount of change necessary to the map can be greater and therefore it's possible to get to a point where the changes necessary in the map become noticeable.

All you need to do to allow the bike to readapt without riding is to start with the motor cold, start the bike without touching the throttle and let the bike idle for a few minutes

When you readapt you are readapting the TPS idle position the idle fuelling and the off idle fuelling. Off idle isn't really adapted until you are riding.

To adapt off idle properly find a flat piece of highway cruise in 5th gear for 10 minutes minimum.

The bike updates every 9.5 minutes once hot.

13. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Thanks for the info. I started it up this afternoon without touching the throttle and let it run for 20min with an old fan blowing a bit of air about, so I'll see if it's made any difference next time out.
    Andy

14. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I was talking so a neighbour today about my problem (bike only) and he asked what fuel I was using, suggesting that super unleaded might help. Has anyone got any views or experience of using different fuels?
    Cheers
    Andy

15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I always put a tank of super through now and again, can't do it any harm so worth a try

16. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    All this technical talk is scaring me !! what have I let myself in for o_O

17. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Well I tried the ??mini reset, I started it didn't touch anything and left it for 25min. Well I went out yesterday and it seems better but not quite 100% . But I did make it on to BBC look north riding in to Hornsea with a few other triumphs.
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    OK, all my bits have arrived SO...my plan for the morning is remove and blank off o2 sensors and the same with the ais. Once done I have a obd cable and software to check things etc, the first hurdle seems to have got me though, where is the socket for the obd cable on a triumph america? Once I have this small but critical bit of info I hope to out in the afternoon fully sorted. Wish me luck.:)
    Andy

19. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    OK ais removed and dummy plug fitted, o2 sensors removed and dummy plugs fitted, online with tuneecu and vacs are identical and tick over at 1050 to 1100 no faults and the standard map loaded already. Going out after tea to try it out. Is there anything else I need to check? TPS goes from 0 to 95% should I be able to 100% ?
    Cheers,
    Andy

20. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Thanks for the offer, all removed now ready for testing later on this evening.
    Andy