Rocket Smoking New Rocket 3r

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Dobbo, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    Hi all, I had my new Rocket 3R delivered on Friday. Amazing bike BUT I seem to have a very worrying issue with it. Below is my copied Facebook post detailing my issue and asking if anyone else had experienced it too.
    ###############################

Has anyone who has a new Rocket 3 and who is running it in - had any issues with occasional but thick clouds of smoke out of the exhausts (not the rear tyre!)

I have done about 80 miles now of my initial 600 running in miles. In Rain mode and gear shift indicator set to running in. Been really steady with it and very gentle on the throttle. About 6 or 7 times now when lightly rolling on the throttle - rpm approx 2500/3000 - there has been quite a large cloud of white smoke tinged with blue. Briefly obscuring any following traffic!
    No warning lights at all.

I rang dealer after first few times it happened and they said every now and again this is ok during running in and it has a special running in oil so nothing to worry about.

Its not consistent - same roll on throttle at other times is perfectly fine.

The demo bike I rode in January for a couple hours only had about 150 miles on the clock and didnt produce any smoke at all.

Has anyone else had anything similar at all?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Gonna go for my first ride with CERBERUS (Rocket 3R) today so will keep an eye on this :confused:
    One tip I got from my dealer when I was picking the bike up was not to overfill the fuel tank as he’d heard reports of fuel getting into the airbox and causing problems :(
    What he means by this is when filling up don’t dribble feed the tank right to the top of the filler neck like we normally do :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Enjoy your first ride mate, she's a beautiful machine, hope the weather holds for you and that you have a trouble free ride, stay safe and enjoy :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    White smoke is generally steam from condensation (masses is a blown head gasket). Blue is oil - rings bedding in? Black is fuelling.

Don’t think 80 miles provides enough evidence unless in a single run. Recent weather has probably not helped condensation on cold lumps of metal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    Update, I followed the manual precisely for the oil level check. Completely cold. Start and run for 90secs. Leave standing for 3 minutes.
    Result = apparently way too much oil. So it seems considerably overfilled.

I also have two video clips now from a following dash cam yesterday of the smoke. I spoke to Plymouth Triumph again and they will collect the bike tomorrow.

I have said I am very concerned at any long term damage that may have been caused by overfilling. .

A9D71566-C15F-44B2-8EF1-D5DEEF2C1B2F.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 8
  6. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    That's absolutely shocking mate and that's got to of caused some form of damage!

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Probably not..... it won’t have been revved enough to blow any seals.

Someone, however, has been a total dipstick.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    An absolute dipstick indeed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just got back from a 150mile ride with @TEZ 217 and didn’t see any smoke out of my bike :)

• Like Like x 8
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    That'a cos you were behind ME :D:D:D:D:D:p:p
    Was I SMOKIN :eek::eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Checked mine from same dealer and all ok. No smoke signals either 300 miles in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #12 TEZ 217, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    To be honest on our ride out we did change leader a few times me and @dilligaf :cool: but no smoke was seen from Dilli's Rocket just feckin spray from his back wheel which was surprising as he promised me there would be no rain.:mad::mad: We went to Jedburgh in the rain and when we arrived the sun caught up eventually as we drank our coffee and ate our cake YES cake !!!. Dilli had cake but that was after his beef sandwich with onion gravy:blush: :confused:
    As we left the cafe and I waited while Dilli had a fag :eek::eek: well actually I should say cigarette as I dont want anyone getting the wrong impression :D
    Gear on we mounted the bike with yes you've guessed a splash of rain which remained our companion for most of the ride back :mad::mad: But a good ride out was had along with a filthy bike and a few aches and pains not felt for a while but all good, Cheers Dilli.
    DSC_0712.jpg
    This was taken after a swift fag stop in Otterburn, the rain got worse when we set off again:mad::confused:

• Like Like x 10
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

So you’re not gonna mention the Sunday roast with all the trimmings followed by Apple Crumble and Custard that you had :eek:
    No wonder ya couldn’t keep up :p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Well actually DD I model the buggar on you :p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice pic @TEZ 217 , that ride up to the boaders can be a real bugger in the rain mate,,,,,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Cheers Wessa, I agree marra and on top of that I had to pay for me own coffee and cake :confused::confused::p

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I will have to have a word with @dilligaf at the GMU mate when he has a fill of JD, I'm sure he will agree to pay next time out..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I couldn’t afford to pay for everything you had :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Having bored us rigid with the countdown I thought we might at least hear a bit more about the rapture and ecstasy of the open road on a R3 - not another review of the Jedburgh caff!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I would imagine he's still busy writing it up following his maiden ride on his new machine Cerberus, complete with pictures and diagrams, :D:D and joined up writing :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3