Smiling Ear To Ear!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chris Chadwick, Oct 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Well it's been just over a month now since I picked up my new Explorer XCA from Jack Lilley's in Ashford and I have to say I am absolutely loving it. After the first few days of 'will I drop it' and 'will it get nicked', I've finally calmed down and banished the over the top paranoia. I was pretty worried about the weight to begin with (I still haven't attempted to use the centre stand!) but I'm pretty much over that now. The theft worry is still there of course but it's a concern I can handle. I lock it up as best I can wherever I go of course but I'm no longer watching the streets all night for potential crooks eyeing it up! It's parked outside the house (no garage) but it's ground anchored and covered. I've got a routine together now for what I lock when, where which key goes and all that, because initially, with the tracker, top box, chain, disk lock, cover and so on it was a bit of a headache making sure I wasn't spending so much time on these things that I'd leave the key in the ignition, or ride off with no lid on! I thought I'd done that the other day, I had to touch my head to check it was there! Ha Ha! So, I don't mind admitting that having not had a bike for a few years (last one was a '98 Speed Triple 955i which I sold in 2010), it took me a while to get back into a routine. Anyway, putting all this noob behaviour aside, I just wanted to do a little report on the bike: It is f*cking amazing! There you go! Did I cover all the bases? I don't want to go over the top, but I cannot believe how good this Explorer is. Granted, I haven't ridden that many bikes - certainly not in the last few years - but the electronic hocus-pocus that is built in to this bike makes it an absolute delight to ride. Some people say there's too much going on now on new bikes (riding modes etc.) but they help make this bike what it is - and it is very special. I was out in pretty tricky road conditions on Sunday: it was wet, loads of leaves and mud on the country lanes of Surrey but the bike was rock solid and absolutely flawless. It took me a while to trust myself to test the bike but when I did it rewarded me with a sure-footedness I just wasn't expecting. I was pretty astounded I have to say - hence the 'smiling ear to ear' title. I didn't want to come home. That is what riding should be like isn't it? I was surprised how filthy the bike was when I got home but it just showed the conditions it had handled without the slightest wiggle. The motorway parts of the journey were as much a delight as they can be too - tall screen, comfortable seat (heated) and heated grips, cruise control. How much pleasure can you have on your own? (you don't have to answer that one!). I'm sorry that this has become a bit of a 'review' of my own bike but I'm going to milk my noob status this once! Someone once said 'life's a journey - not a destination' (Aerosmith did, but probably someone before them!) and it is definitely my philosophy of biking. I wasn't really bothered where I was going on Sunday as the journey was the highlight. It just wasn't long enough on this bike. :) Looking forward to work in the morning as I'll be riding the bike in again. Fantastic! Triumph have created a belter with this bike - they really have!
    Cheers!
    Chris

• Like Like x 10
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, what a great introduction, but we do need pictures.... Ride safe :):):)
    Wessa

3. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    For you Wessa - although this was last week! :) It's a personalised plate (My initials, birth year and the nickname of the blue & white wizards!) It was actually registered on 28/08/17.

IMG_2416.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Just heard Tom Petty has died ... :sob::sob::sob:

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Me too :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Great write up chris, but you're not a newbie any more!! I know the feeling, I get it on my bikes the tiger 800 leaves me in awe and the thruxton leaves me in love!

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Bless you Ade!!

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Cheers Crispey!
    You are a lucky man! One 'drawback' of the Explorer is that it's not the best commuter bike - it's not designed to be of course - and if I'm honest, most of my time is probably going to be spent on the daily commute. But at the end of the day, I wasn't buying the bike for convenience - I doubt many people on here really put that top of the list for reasons for getting a bike. I'm sure a lot of people do but not many who enthuse about bikes on forums like this! :) My Dad would have bought a bike for the convenience - he would've weighed up the costs properly and the mpg and all that then would've plumped for a bike that did 500 mpg but looked shit. Good old Frank (RIP). Anyway, I really wanted summat to cover some miles on when I'm not working, so I went for the TEX. In an ideal (fantasy) world I would have at least one other bike and I was certainly considering a Speed Triple again. I do love the look of the Thruxton, and the Bobber, not to mention one or two others, but my eye had been caught by a khaki Tiger 800 that I'd seem a few times around town and it looked awesome. When I first looked at getting a new Triumph I realised that to get the TEX in khaki it meant an XCA (top of the range £16k ... gulp). Anyway, I wasn't particularly rational in my decision making other than that I knew from doing a bit of research that the new TEX was a very good bike and so it has proved so far! Yes, she's a big old girl to lug around at low speed but once let loose she's a dream.
    Sorry I'm waffling again ...
    Is the Thruxton a good daily/commuter bike? These cafe racer types always look a bit uncomfortable to me, especially with me bad back? :)
    Cheers
    C

9. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    I cracked that gag last night an' all. It's a bit irresistible eh? :)
    Saw TP in Hyde Park this year too. He didn't look reyt well then tbh.

10. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Cheers Bikerman! Oh I won't be waiting until next summer - I couldn't! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Chris, I'm in tolworth so any time you're going out Pm me and I might be able to join you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Chadwick

Jul 31, 2017
    Kingston, Surrey, UK
    Hi Crispey,
    Apologies for the delayed reply! Will do mate! Didn't do much this weekend but last weekend went down to Hampshire. Some fantastic country lanes and villages etc. These pics are on a lane near Northington.Who says there aren't any decent roads in daarn Saaarf?! :)

Nora.jpg

Nora-2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1