Smaller Number Plates.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by trO, Oct 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. trO

trO New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Stourbridge
    Has anybody ever been stopped and or prosecuted by the police for having put a smaller number plate on their bike.??

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #3 Wessa, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Have seen the police at favorite bike meets checking number plates and general condition on bikes, so I'm assuming by the number of bikes with small plates fitted that many would have been booked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Don't think so Jez, it was a general question to which I gave a general answer (slightly sarcastically I might add)
    Bit like asking had anybody ever been done for speeding:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Its North Wales Police favorite pastime - they love small none margined plates..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    tr0
    Not heard of anyone being prosecuted but i have been warned that my plate is to small and to get it checked. But these days i think anything is possible.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Simon Logan

Simon Logan Active Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Sutton Coldfield - UK
    I cut all the excess around my plate leaving just the letters and numbers. Plod was doing spot checks at a bike meet I was going to so I got a ticket but no points. My mate likes small plates too. Welsh plod felt his collar but again just a ticket, a fine and a stern warning in English, not to do it again. So yes, English plod and Welsh plod will fine you but you will not get prosecuted. I assume Sturgeon's (Scotland) plod are the same but she likes to do things differently so I may be wrong. I guess if you keep being stopeed they will fine and prosecute you. I have normals size plates now. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I've used 7 by 5.5 on my bikes for the last 25 years and never had a problem

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Upsetting people again Jez :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Given a clear indication that I had to change it and they didn't want to see it again, but not ticketed/fined.

The useful advice given to me at the time was that the officer in question generally was looking out for small plates, loud exhausts and high speeds. Any one offence, as long as it wasn't daft, would get ignored, but any combination of two or more would result in a stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I'm not a fan of the oversized plates we 'legally' have to have on our bikes here in the UK, but I just don't understand why people even risk a ticket by cutting them down or fitting a smaller one. You can't see it when you are riding the bike. Think of it as a kids school uniform. No kid likes wearing it, but they are all the same, so no one stands out. Yes, they look incongruous (the number plate), but I view it as one less thing that the Plod can pull you for, which surely can't be a bad thing?

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Simon Logan

Simon Logan Active Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Sutton Coldfield - UK
    Agreed..don't give plod an excuse to pull you over....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    OK, it's pedantic, I know, but there is no longer a "standard" size for number plates - the legally required minimum size of the plate is determined by the number of registration characters, their legally required dimensions, spacing and layout. It is possible to have a legally acceptable plate of 7.6" X 6.5" given the right combination of letters and numbers.

I've never been pulled or questioned about mine but then I barely do enough miles in a year to even see the boys in blue! I usually change mine back to the air brake for MoT purely to avoid compromising the tester's integrity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    +1 On that. Why make yourself a target? Exhausts that are too loud, small plates and riding like a flange will usually bring unwanted attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Phill Pounder

Phill Pounder Member

Sep 24, 2020
    Derby
    Given the gradual elimination of rear mudguards, the number plate seems necessary to stop road crud plastering your back...

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    The smallest legal motorcycle numberplate would be 66mm wide by 163mm high (2.6 inches by 6.5 inches).

You'd have to be rich to display it, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Fourdot make legal plates with minimal but legal borders and also some good designs. Not cheap but since they can't be missed why not have them look good. This shape suits a GSX.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  18. trO

trO New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Stourbridge
    Thanks all.
    I have 5 digits on my plate. Any idea what the minimum legal size that would be?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    If you go on the Fourdot site you can see your plate in any of their designs. It may help you visualise it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    It's interesting looking at the posts regarding different Police Forces views on number plates and exhausts, a couple of years back the Police had a large sign at a lay-by near a local bike meet, it said vehicle safety checks, I rode past, a Police Officer set off and pulled up behind me at the bike meet, he stated " why didn't you stop", my reply was "what for no one directed me to, he said a safety check, what for I replied, the bike is a few months old, it doesn't even need an mot for 3 years and it's just had a 500 mile service the bikes A1, he asked for the usual docs etc, he then got out a tape and measured the plate, he looked at the exhaust, by this time I was getting miffed, kept cool walked off leaving him looking at the road legal after market can. I'm not a confrontational person but on occasions as bikers we do get discriminated against by some Police Forces who have there own agendas. In contrast I have only ever had very positive interactions with the Manx Police, last year a PC stopped at the creg to say to my son, I watched you going past the bungalow and "that's the best sounding bike I've heard in a long time, have a great day and safe riding.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1