Featured Small (uk Legal) Number Plates

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bulldogbobby, Mar 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Pre 74 black plated with 7 figures are ok on a 7x5 plate :)

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Dunno what ordinary plates come under :confused:
    printed or gel or :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Hi Carl, glad to hear you got the bike plate wrinkles sorted out. To other forum members, I guess the recent happy experience of @bulldogbobby should be the one to judge JDM plates by now.

• Like Like x 5
  4. JDM Plates

JDM Plates New Member

Mar 10, 2020
    Norfolk
    Hi Dilligaf,

The standard style plates are printed which consist of a transparent acrylic front plate, a middle transparent acetate film which is printed onto and then a yellow reflective material on the rear.

Was great speaking to you too mate :D, i'm happy to help where possible with regards to overall dimensions and the legal side of things and of course the different styles we can offer.

Cheers,
    Carl.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Any chance you could post some pictures showing the standard plate against your smaller plates?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bulldogbobby

bulldogbobby Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2017
    norfolk
    All I can say is that I'm very pleased with the service I experienced and the product quality from Carl at JDM and there's no issues whatsoever with alignment or font size/thickness on the plates I ordered. Super helpful and knowledgeable about their products and the declaration of legality is a great touch. I also like the fact that the legal details are in a faded font at the bottom of the plate. So impressed, I've gone back with another order..............

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    I have just ordered a new small plate from JDM for my new Rocket 3. (Using a 10% code on their own website) I have a 5 digit reg so can have the smallest plate they do. The standard Triumph plate looks absolutely enormous on my Rocket - especially with a 5 digit number - acres of yellow!
    I used JDM last year for my Speed Twin plate and I am very happy with the plate supplied then and speedy good service.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    over £30 for a bike reg plate ? I can get a nice plate locally for £10, regards small plates being legal, I’ve a 8x6 on my street triple which looks very nice but it won’t pass the mot,the lady who does my mot says it must be 9x6,5 to pass the mot, my local auto spares who make plates have also told me it’s 9x6.5 to be legal. I am not trying to say what size reg plates you must have I am just pointing out what’s legal in the uk

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    #29 Dobbo, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Unless there has been a very very recent change in the law, there is no law that dictates the 9 x 6.5 overall size that you mention for bike plates. My bikes are newer so will not need an MOT for another 30 months so I will have to see what happens then!

The laws as I understand them dictate the height and thickness of the digits, the spacing between them and the rows, and the size of margins around the digits to the edge of the plate. This is why plates with 5 or 6 digits can be legally smaller than those with a full 7 digit plate.

I have a JDM plate for my 5 digit registration and it is legal, I have compared it to the original Triumph fitted plate and the digits are same height, thickness and spacing yet it is much much smaller because it has reduced the margins (expanse of yellow background) to the minimum legal size.

The Gov.uk website currently has a link to an informative leaflet INF 104 from DVLA about number plates - which details all the legal requirements. Screenshots attached.
    There are different rules for older bikes/plates , I haven’t read all of those, just the section for bikes registered post Sept 2001. Ps Sorry the screen shots have attached in a non logical way!

69459C5C-4B32-4143-BDBC-CCCFEBBA684C.png

09ED37DF-6B8A-467A-A52C-8005F4894276.png

E9BA6362-E8D0-4EF6-B241-74C89F557DA0.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    ive found the plates dealers fit to new bikes a quiet a bit bigger than the 9 x 6.5 legal plate so you may be ok.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    it was only at last Xmas that I bought my new scrambler and I started looking into a smaller plate, my local auto spares told me it was 9x6.5 plus you need to take your log book with you, it was last summer that when getting a price for some new tyres that I asked for guidance on my 8x6 plate on my street triple whether or not it was legal,it wasn’t. I know in 2014 small plates on bikes were receiving a £60 fine as I’ve seen it happen to a mates bike.i am Not saying you shouldn’t put one on but maybe check with we’re you get your bike mot.

12. Dobbo

Dobbo Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Cornwall UK
    I am sure this isn’t the first forum discussion on this matter, it clearly shows that there are differing views, interpretations, understandings and actual experiences out there about bike plates amongst riders and also officials.

This is no doubt because there is no simple straightforward answer to the question what size is a legal bike plate?

As a retired cop who has done some research I am happy that the JDM plates are legal and I am more than happy to discuss this with any MOT tester or cop who has a differing view in due course. (nb it could all go pear shaped then!)

As I see it bike dealers and some plate suppliers simply use standard plate making machines and plate sizes provided in bulk by their suppliers but JDM have done their homework and trimmed down the sizes to the minimum for plates with different numbers of digits. It’s almost a bespoke service. Yes it’s costly, but think of the fuel I am saving with reduced wind resistance!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    If your vehicle is over 40 years old you can have black & white/silver plates on it. It rolls along with your vehicle becoming "historic" and MOT exempt, this has been the case since 2015.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  15. MARKYMARKTHREE

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    I think you will find come April 1st 2020, it will roll on again and vehicles registered before 1st Jan 2020 will classed as historic and be able to carry b&w plates.
    Have a look at page 11 here.
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    It doesn't actually say that ;
    Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1973
    Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2019 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1979 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
    • haveappliedtoDVLA
    • beregisteredwithinthe‘historicvehicles’taxclass.
    The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April.

17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I may be wrong its been known :)
    Ask the wife :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. MARKYMARKTHREE

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    It said this in 2017.
    Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2017 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1977 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
    • haveappliedtoDVLA

Then this in 2018.
    Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2018 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1978 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
    • haveappliedtoDVLA

And I anticipate it will say this on April fools day 2020 or thereabouts.
    Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2020 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1980 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
    • haveappliedtoDVLA
    We shall wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    what’s size is your original plate the bottom reg plate in the second pic? Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    You blokes can buy license plates from private companies? Our DMV’s issue plates, really small ones for mc’s. If you want a personalized plate you go oneline to your state DMV and if its not taken and not considered offensive then you can order it for a small fee thats tacked on each year to your regular yearly registration fee.

• Like Like x 3