Slow Puncture

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Repooh, Oct 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I've been flippin unlucky with my Street Twin tyres, rear puncture after less than 100 miles, changed both tyres for Continental Road Attack 3's very please but got another rear puncture after a few hundred miles.

This was repaired, however, it has a slow puncture, real slow, but nevertheless looses air, so clever people I know the best thing is to shell out another £125 on a new rear and I will do that next spring as my fair weather riding starts, and my coffers are more healthy. As for now and the occasional Sunday ride are these tyre sealant fluids any good, if so what one? I will probably only ride a dozen or so times before Spring, so inflating tyre each time is no big deal.

I've read the right angled valves on the Triumph can be a problem to get it in in the first instance, beyond that good or bad idea. I'm not convinced they will fix a slow puncture, seem to be focus on proper full on punctures.

My riding style is typical newbie, awkward, sometimes not pretty, not often over 70mph, B/A roads.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    How slow?

3. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Over a couple of days it will drop from 2.5 Bar to 1.9 Bar, not left it longer than a few days

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Bottle of soapy water and find where the slow leak is and then you can decide what the best course of action is ............ could be a leak at the bead when the tyre was refitted.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Are you riding near a council waste tip or something ? I punctured a decent car tyre passing one recently.

I agree with the plug it advice. Good opportunity to learn a new skill. :p

Edit. Replied before I read Oldyam's post. Great advice there about the bead .

• Like Like x 1
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    How old are the wheels ? Sometimes the rims need to be cleaned up before the tyre will seal properly.

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Where was it repaired? If a tyre changer then go back and ask them to look at it. They have a duty of care.

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would only do this if you are sure the leak is at the rim seal and that you have a compressor to hand capable of re-seating the bead on the rim should the tyre become unseated.

9. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks folks, I’ll soap it to identify if its the previous repair or elsewhere, when fitting post repair at the tyre fitters it was on and off three times due to puncture not sealing, tyre on wrong direction, maybe this compromised the bead

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    plug it ,I believe I put a thread on here of my recent puncture and what I have to get going again

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    .......and sometimes you just need to nip up the valve in the stem. Don’t ask!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Good steer, given the lad who replaced the tyre had the valve in and out three times

13. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    On my way to Halfrauds to procure one this very afternoon

• Like Like x 1
  14. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    So culprit found, valve all good, the previous repair was done in the tread of the tyre, allegedly they wont normally do this but as I sustained the puncture a few days after new tyre they felt obliged to try; news to me. They say the plug hasn't got enough purchase as its in the thinnest part of the tyre, and the plug moves under load, makes sense. So third tyre been fitted at a knock down price of £140, that makes three tyres in 1000 miles, hey ho.

Thanks for your input folks - case closed, I do expect a Christmas card from Continental Tyres as there new bestest customer

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sounds somewhat questionable. The tyre wall is generally the irreparable bit. The tread area has the construction to accept a plug.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sounds BS to me. Go find yourself a new tyre fitter / supplier. Never had a tyre off and on more than once. As Callumity says, usually repairable in the tread area, when outside this it's knackered.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I think your right, done now, won't be using these folks again, just picked Edna up and the little prick span her round on her stand, took all my reserve not to knock the little C**t out

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Malcolm Bradley

Malcolm Bradley New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    Hi, you asked about sealants in the original post..... I bought some Bike Safe goo on the strength of their ads.

I was so impressed I bought the car stuff too and I can report..... don’t bother.

My wife picked up a screw in a car tyre which set off the tyre pressure monitor. Believing the goo would work I thought it must’ve been the valve core so I nipped it up and then noticed the screw!!!!

I then thought ‘Aha, I’ll remove the screw and the goo will work!’

It didn’t so I stuck a bigger screw in and took the car to a tyre dealer to fix it :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    I have used UltraSeal in all my tubeless tyres and never knowingly had a puncture. Remember the name, I am not talking about some cheap green gunk or similar. From memory it costs around £25 for a pair of tyres to be treated. In my experience it has never affected the wheel balance or steering, I add this because there is always someone on a forum who says it might. Ultra seal was developed and is used in formula 1 racing tyres so is good stuff. I now have a T120 bonnie with spoked wheels, not best for ultra seal, but it can be injected into tubes with some benefit which my dealer did when I bought the bike, so I have gone for belt and braces, rather than coming home on a trailer with a puncture in the tube. For the sake of £25 it has got to be worth a try when you consider what you are spending on tyres/ repairs.

20. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks for the feedback as I'm now £450 into tyres I may give this a go

21. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    In my opinion, and for safety reasons, any plug repair should be considered temporary. Proper permanent repair is to remove the tire and patch from the inside.

I have picked up a nail before on the road. Did a roadside repair to get me home. Then removed the tire and did an internal patch. Never leaked again !!

The safe thing to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1