Slipping Clutch

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Badkarma, Aug 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    #1 Badkarma, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    I just wanted to see if anyone has had any clutch issues with the new RS? I have a little over 2k miles on mine and I noticed it once last week in traffic that it slipped when I hammered the throttle. Friday I took it out for a bit more "spirited" riding and by hammering the throttle I could get it to slip pretty easily. Kinda pisses me off since its a new bike with only 2k miles on it...but at least its still under warranty. I think I'm going to keep riding it and take it in to get fixed at the end of the season...I really don't want to lose it for the next month, since I had to wait so long to get it in the first place.

Edit* Also I noticed that when I leave it in 1st gear and I try to start the bike half the time it won't start because its like the clutch isn't disengaging enough to let the starter spin the engine. Once I put it in neutral it starts right up. Just thought I'd add that in there as it could be related.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    My first reaction was that it needed a clutch adjustment until you added your 'edit' note. Those two points seem to be completely opposed to each other. Have you added any oil additives, and when you took it in for the first service, are you certain they put the right type of oil in your bike? The reason I ask, is that I caught a dealer putting a completely wrong type of oil (much cheaper) in one of my bikes. Also, some oil additives can really mess up the clutch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I know right, they do seem completely opposite. Its very strange. I haven't personally put any additives or anything of that nature in my bike, as far as the shop I have no idea what type of oil they put in at the first service. Surely I would have noticed it a lot sooner if it was the wrong type of oil, I mean its been in there 1k miles already.
    For the starting issue I might just adjust the clutch cable myself and see if that helps that. But for the actual slipping I'm not sure if the clutch or springs or whatever are wearing out unusually fast or what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bradders

Bradders Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    London
    I put a set of billet levers on mine and some time later I started getting clutch slip, which got progressively worse.

I popped into my dealers and they said I had overtightened the clutch lever, so they loosened it up a bit and.....Hey Presto....no more clutch slip :)

This might help

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    Do you mean clutch slip as in engaging and disengaging with the lever? I'm talking about when I'm just cruising along and I hammer the throttle it'll spin up about 2-3k before the clutch fully engages again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bradders

Feb 16, 2018
    London
    I'm talking about clutch slip as in when you twist the throttle, the engine revs but you don't gain any speed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I tried adjusting the clutch cable both ways and either seemed to help. I think I'm gonna have to take it in....not happy about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Simple question. When you pull the lever gently do you get a small (2mm) gap before you need to pull hard and overcome the spring? Free play is essential to ensure the clutch is fully engaged or you may get slight slip (unnoticed) and accelerate clutch wear or overheat and warp the plates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Hasn't the RS got traction control what setting is it on?
    Although I must say had a 16 plate Speedy and the clutch slipped when riding hard, so I had to slacken it off as it was incorrectly adjusted from the factory

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bradders

Feb 16, 2018
    London
    Try loosening the lever thru bolt, this is what I was referring to when I mentioned my slipping clutch

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    think i remember mr.triple saying that the end of the clutch cable at the lever had rubbed against the lever or holder causing a build up of swarf which affected its action.?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    think i remember mr.triple saying that the end of the clutch cable at the lever had rubbed against the lever or holder causing a build up of swarf which affected its action.?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    also as its a slipper clutch if the ramps in the clutch are not free to slide against each other it could cause a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    Like I said I tried both loosening the clutch cable and tightening it and neither seemed to help. It actually made the lever feel worse, a little sloppy, after I put it back to what it was at before. I mean, its been fine since I got my first service done about 1 1/2 months ago, it just started acting up this past week. I'm set to take it in next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaveHarris

DaveHarris New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    scotland
    Mine started doing the same on the way for it's first service today.

Pulled over and adjusted the play, even fully loose it just wouldn't return to disengaged properly and had to push the lever back 'home' to sort it out.

Turns out the lever was just sticky and all resolved at the service. Judging by how quick they diagnosed it, I'd say it's a known fault.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    My lever felt coarse when I got my RS. I took the pivot pin out and it was dry. Was also a fairly average bolt allowing a fair amount of play . Not the quality you hope for!! I greased it and refitted. No probs but its still not up to the standard I am used to on other bikes I have owned.. ...
    While I am at it... I changed both tyres on my bike. Teh rear axle nut was really rough over the locking pin holes - poorly finished. And when I took the front of the pinch bolts were REALLY tight - creaking like f*** - they have a torque setting of 19Nm.... So either the factory overtightened or the dealer (not sure where the F wheel is fitted?) The bike LOOKS great but deep down I don't think the quality matches the appearance !

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Exactly that...this is what I posted before:

Bearing in mind that I've only done 200 miles since the oil service, I had an unexpected problem yesterday. After 80 'spirited' miles across country with plenty of clutch use (both manual and quickshifter), I stopped for petrol a few miles from home. As I pulled out of the forecourt and accelerated away, there were plenty of revs but hardly any power at all. I had trouble picking up speed, so limped home feeling pretty despondent.

As I neared home, I realised the clutch lever was sticking half way and not fully releasing - strange how it takes time to think logically when this sort of thing happens.

I removed the lever and found that the metal around the cable barrel slot had been rubbing against the body/bracket part - enough to remove black paint and expose shiny aluminium, creating dust that mixed with the grease, to bind up the mechanism completely.

I reckon this was caused by the pivot bolt being much too tight...or perhaps it's the design of the RS lever - either way it's something worth keeping an eye on.

Then after I removed the lever:

I gave it a good clean, a spot of grease, nipped the bolt back in place and adjusted the tension leaving 2 to 3mm of gap when the lever is released. All good.

By coincidence, I watched this YouTube video today (before reading this thread) - and buried in the written review that the 'Schaaf' posted about the RS, there's the paragraph below.

ClutchLever.png
    He's spot on with the way it 'creeps up on you' - the bike just starts to feel a little unresponsive...then in my case, no power at all. The last thing I expected was a slipping clutch.

There does seem to be a pattern emerging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Think about how many times the lever is used in an average week and if there isn't any grease on the pivot bolt it's bound to end up grinding away at metal with the result that the crud that is developed causes the lever to bind leading to clutch problems (slip in this case). A bit of copper slip, or any grease really, on the pivot bolt and a drop or two of light oil down the cable leaves things feeling like brand new again. Worth doing a couple of times a year if you do decent mileage.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That is absolutely true...but mine looked well greased (perhaps because it was delivered with what looked like most of it on the outside of the mechanism) it had only covered 800 miles and had just been (oil) serviced. It does dry miles too.

I think the odd thing here, is that it happens so unexpectedly early.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  20. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    AFAIK this has not been a problem on older models, no doubt Triumph receive the pre-assembled lever and just bang it on the bike.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they've changed suppliers for the new model and said supplier hasn't been greasing the assembly. Triumph need to keep better control of supplier quality.

• Agree Agree x 1