"slime"

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by macamxthe1st, Jun 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. macamxthe1st

macamxthe1st Well-Known Member

When I get my new T100 next week it will be the first bike for years that will be fitted with spoked wheels and tubed tyres. Really getting a tad paranoid regarding this. Fully realise that in the event of a puncture that you are probably a bit stuffed but would try anything that may help. Has anyone installed "Slime" or indeed anything else with any degree of success?

Geoff.

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Dunno if there’s anything that works with a tubed tyre :confused:
    If their is I haven’t heard of it :confused:
    I’ve just ordered a new Speedmaster with spoked wheels and it’s the first spoked wheeled bike I’ve had since I was a kid :eek:
    Just gonna ride it and if something happens :confused: I’ll deal with it then :p

Life’s too short to worry :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. macamxthe1st

You are spot on, I really need to stop overthinking this and just enjoy the experience.

Geoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Same as above. Slime will only be applicable to tubeless tires. Just ride with a credit card and tow insurance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I fitted thicker tubes on my 690 dunno if one can get for the T100. I found out about it after getting stuck on the motorway once and had to wait for a tow. Took it back to the shop and fitted a new thick type tube, touch wood I'd not had another incident.

• Like Like x 1
  6. macamxthe1st

7. macamxthe1st

Thanks, will look into that.

Geoff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't put slime in your bike tyres.

Bought my Focus ST, had two tyres leaking, but was going to get them powder coated and new tyres, so whilst waiting, I stuck some slime in, as I knew tyres were getting binned and wheels blasted and powder coated.
    Bloody stuff did seal them, a bit, didn't go down as fast. But they caused the wheel to go so out of balance, the car was undriveable. And this was on a rear tyre! Had to go to tyre dealer, jet wash it out and then refit. Cost me £10 & then £15 to get tyre sorted and refitted.

I do have slime inner tubes on my mountain bikes, and they work well, never had to stop to repair a puncture in nearly 10 years. But even when you spin the tyre by hand, you can feel them out of balance. But suppose doesn't matter on a push bike.

• Like Like x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Slime works fine in any tyres tubed or tubeless , in warmer climates where the slime stays more "fluid" "liquid" itsi when it's more "viscous" that tyres have balance problems ! Here in Australia it's used to "solve" balance problems !!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    if you have a bit of time why not ask the seller if he would fit heavy duty tubes for you,i ended up using them in my old cr250 crosser as the bike took lots of abuse worth asking.

12. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    • Like Like x 1
  13. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Don't fit heavy duty tubes on a road bike, just more unsprung weight and rotating mass with additional gyroscopic effect. Not a big issue off-road at slower gnarly riding but you will feel it at higher road speeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I put slime in and found not only did it not seal a puncture about 900 miles from home but when I used the "sticky string" kit that the slime lubricated the string and it just oozed out. Saturday morning in south Portugal not the time or place to find a tyre shop for a new one.
    The "sticky string" kit has worked well a couple of times since, 1200 miles and two weeks before getting home (different trip!) and traveling at speed only changed the tyre as it was well worn by then.
    The rubber doughnut type repairs also work but need a lot more reaming out to get them inside the tyre.
    I would think that a punctured tube would be difficult to seal while inside the tyre but a patch has nearly always been effective on older bikes.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If you have ever had a tubed tyre blow out you would be grateful for anything that slowed down the escaping air......

Slime screws up a static balance but not a dynamic (spinning) balance where it spreads throughput the outer radius. It is not a total fail safe so much as an extra tool in the box. It is a messy clean up but if it gets you home.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jedventure Rider

Jedventure Rider New Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Manchester/Greece
    I'm considering this: https://bikeseal.co.uk/product/bike-seal-250ml-bottle-puncture-prevention/

I've a big trip coming up and trying to prepare for any eventuality. I have tubed tyres in my Tiger 800 and it is supposed to work with them. It has good reviews. Don't fancy attempting a roadside tyre change as I've been told it is very difficult to break the bead. I do have breakdown cover and spare tubes though.