Sitting At Traffic Lights

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Moon1, May 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moon1

Moon1 New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    suffolk new york
    Does anybody notice when youre sitting first at a traffick light it doesn't change, like they have motion detectors and it doesn't register you're there because you're not big enough like a car. It happened to me twice today. Very annoying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Get in touch with the council and they can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor wires in the tarmac.
    I did and low and behold never had the problem again

3. Moon1

Moon1 New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    suffolk new york
    TY GaryM The light that's close to my house Ill see if anything can be done.

4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Or mount a big strong magnet under your bike, this triggers most under road sensors !! The wires use magnetic fields to sense mass (metal) as bikes are mostly aluminium (by mass) they don't always trigger the sensor ! As steel and iron are strongl magnetic field interuptors .

5. Moon1

Moon1 New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    suffolk new york
    Ty capt. I will look into it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire

This!

My old SV650 was bad for this and some rare earth magnets stuck to the bottom of the frame with epoxy did the trick. It's amazing how many engineers assume everyone in the US is sitting in two tonnes of Detroit/everyone in the UK is sitting in a tonne of Dagenham and set the intersections up for that situation alone. Have a look on eBay - RE magnets are pretty cheap.

A lot of newer systems these days, over here at least, use motion sensors and I can trigger those without issue when I'm on my bicycle. Except they see you coming and assume you're doing 20-30 mph and go green way before you get to the line and you have to pedal furiously to get across before they turn back... First world problem though so I put up with it :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    eat more pies

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moon1

Moon1 New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    suffolk new york
    OK ty much Sir Trev

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moon1

Moon1 New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    suffolk new york
    That's not a problem. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Some of those magnets are scarily strong. Be careful or you will be picking up all sorts of ferrous debris from the road, or even getting yourself stuck to a passing bus...

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    And don't put them in range of your ECU or you'll be in real trouble :sob::sob::sob:

12. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Once stopped at a light to take a left turn while another biker stopped to turn right...
    But we both were short of that darned electronic loop in the tarmac...
    And we were chatting along happily without the lights ever turning green :blush:
    Until a car behind us honked and we moved a little ahead to hit the trigger...
    Had us a good laugh :p

• Like Like x 1