Silly Choke

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by tony little, Nov 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tony little

tony little New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    bodmin
    Hi folks. My 1965 T90 has a stupid choke. You have to push a plunger down on top of the carb which then engages in a split pin. It never stays down and whilst I've tidied up the slot in the plunger it's still a pain. Is there a choke conversion which is activated by a lever on the bars?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The two Meriden Triumphs I had (1960 5TA and 1969 Bonneville) both had ticklers on the carbs (Monobloc and Concentric) as did my Norton 88, (though the less said about that particular pile of :poop: the better), which was enough to start them. As I remember, no choke was fitted to any of them.
    It may be worth a quick phone call to one of the Meriden Triumph parts suppliers or perhaps to Amal themselves (or Burlen who, I believe, make Amal carbs these days - bit hard to tell sometimes!:confused:) for advice.

The above is a long winded way of saying that I really haven't a clue!!:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tony little

tony little New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    bodmin
    Yeah, I've got a couple of mates who have got Dommies and who used to have Triumphs and they didn't have chokes. Really cold morning today and my bike needed choke. I'll speak to a few suppliers as you suggest. Thanks.