Tiger 800 Side stand problem, or is it just me

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Bob On, Aug 17, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    Hi Folks,
    After a couple of frustrating weeks I finally got my new 800XC out of customs and registered here in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. All very good except I've had four close calls and have nearly dropped her on her side. It seems that when on the side stand on even the slightest of downward slopes, she wants to run forward off the stand. My heart has been in my mouth as my BMW riding mates are scrutinising every move. Has anyone had this problem or is it only me? I looked at the fixing of the side stand and I think I could cure it by loosening the mounting bolts and fitting a shim so that the foot of the stand would be in a more forward position when deployed but why should I have to do this on a new bike. Any advice out there???

2. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    1 take it back to the dealer

2 do not park it facing downhill

3 put it in gear as you put it on the side stand

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I've ridden an XC now since March and to be honest I've not had a major problem with the side stand. It does not go that far over centre when down and the other slight issue in my opinion is the stand is slightly over long not allowing the bike to lean that far. The problem gets worse when its fully loaded with luggage as the suspension squats pushing the bike to an even more upright position.

A mates 1200 BMW GS noticeably leans over further when on its side stand even with a camel toe end on it.

I never park the bike facing downhill unless it is left in gear. Doubt the dealer will do much for you but there is plenty of advice for Tiger 800 XC owners here Triumph Tiger 800 Forum

4. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    Hi Col and Richard, I don't as a rule park facing down hill. This happened on a very slight gradient. Unfortunately there isn't a Triumph dealer in Central Asia so it'll just have to be the "put it in gear" option. I'll also try fitting a shim to see if that'll do the trick. It looks like I'm the only numpty who's had this problem...:)

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Its a bit crap that Triumph don't fit the centre stand as standard. Are you doing the service work your self out there?

6. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    I had a centre stand fitted before she was sent from the UK but agree it would be good as standard. The top box is also a bit crappy and rattles like hell on the rough terrain so that's going to be replaced for next year. As for servicing, I'll do the oil and filter changes myself. For anything super mechanical I've found a local guy in Bishkek who could repair anything (it's usually the way in these third world spots, a magician can be found). I'm based in the mountains about 300km Bishkek so when it comes to computer and electronics, I'm in the brown stuff if anything goes badly wrong. There are a few guys in Bishkek with BMW's who are basically in the same boat if it all goes pear shaped. I'll probably be here for another two years after which I'd like to ride the bike back to Europe so just hoping basic servicing will keep her right until then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Know what you mean about the top box, I've yet to figure out whey Triumph insist on having the siding mount and panniers that swing.

Think you stand a good chance in the reliability front, my previous Speed Triple was trouble free and this Tiger is now at 5300 miles (although I have had a stepper motor replaced under warranty when the bike failed to tick over) . There is a young guy currently riding his XC around the world, he is in Australia at 20000 miles and he reports no problems with the bike.

Best of luck out there with your bike

8. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I know this is an old thread, but I've dropped my Tiger twice when parked on a slight downhill slope on the side stand. And I know that Rich Bryce has similarly dropped his on a downslope.

It's made me now always stop the bike in first, and put the stand down (thus stopping the engine in gear) as a safety precaution.

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It's not been lowered has it? This is a common problem with lowered tigers. Tho' if my bikes pointing downhill for short period I always leave it in gear for

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    You just need to be careful when parking it - as you say the slightest incline or even the camber in the road towards the kerb can affect it - keep in gear!
    You should have no trouble with the bikes reliability though - I'm up to 12000 miles with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    No, it's a standard height XCA. I now always park uphill so gravity pulls it (the bike) backwards, keeping the side stand down.

And in gear too!

12. Tim Davies

Tim Davies New Member

May 6, 2018
    Whitechapel, London
    Just picked up a great 800 XCA (2017) from Jack Lilley in Romford, complete with panniers and topbox, one careful owner etc. etc.
    My only gripe so far, and I've only done 100 miles or so on her, is that the side stand makes me really nervous. I have trouble getting my leg over as it is <g> but am terrified of knocking it over in the process, given that the angle of lean is only a few degrees and virtually disappears on the slightest camber. I always park in first anyway, always have done, but I'm definitely gonna look into replacing this stand with something that gives a better angle. Has anyone already done this? I'm thinking about ferries, hilly parking etc.
    New to this forum, so sorry if this is dredging up an old chestnut.
    Tim

13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Tim,
    Sounds to me as though the suspension has been lowered, check with jack Lilleys or measure the drop links at the rear suspension, I can’t remember what the lengths should be, also look to see if the front forks have been dropped through the yoke, they should be pretty well flush to 1 cm
    PS if you turn the wheel away from you as the bike is on the side stand so the rh grip is nearest the tank it makes it easier to get off and on, but you probably know that anyway!

14. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I have an XCA, and I have dropped it twice. Both times in neutral, engine off, on the side stand, on a slight downwards slope.

The stand isn’t very good, and on anything at all downhill it collapses itself. I now always turn off the engine by putting the side stand down (ie whilst still in gear) to reduce the risk, and either park it uphill or with the front tyre facing into a kerb.

15. Jaykun85

Jaykun85 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    like one of the posters mentioned I always put mine into first gear when ever parked on centerstand .. that way it can never roll .. I also always park it facing up a hill so then the weight is rolling back onto the stand and not off it.

These where lessons learned after stupidly parking my 1050 on its side stand pointing down hill on my ever slightly inclined driveway .. cleaning it it kinda fell on top of me