Side Panel / Fairing Removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by OhCrumOn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Anyone know how to remove the side fairing of the speed triple?

My neighbor backed into my RS knocking it over and damaging a few bits including the right side blinker & the bracket that supports it. I'm going to order the parts to replace it all but I can't figure out how to get the carbon fiber panel / fairing off to gain access to that bracket. Fortunately it didn't damage the CF (as far as I can tell; tbd once the fairing comes off); rear stanchion protected my exhaust and I've got the smallest of knicks on my clutch cover.

Image is pre knock over but the fairing rocking the 'RS' & turn signal is the one in question.

Thanks,
    [​IMG]

2. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've taken mine off before - definitely remove the indicator bolt, then the whole thing slides forward and unclips (I recall).

I'm confident that someone else will confirm very shortly...

3. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Many thanks, I'll give this a shot today; I had a feeling it was something simple like that but figured I'd ask before I went full gorilla on it.

4. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #4 MrTriple, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    No one confirmed - and I was confident they would. Just shows that you can't trust me.

I wouldn't go full gorilla, but it might need half-monkey - it will unclip/slide off with some wiggling and gentle persuasion.

Here's a picture of the back (from eBay). I think there's a bracket that attaches to those three holes that comes off with the side cowl. I definitely didn't have to unscrew anything that was out of sight or reach.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    You sir have gone above and beyond; really do appreciate it.

Normally I'd just take it to my local Triumph dealer and have them & the insurance handle it but my neighbor is older and she can't really afford for her insurance to go up so I told her that if she covered the parts I'd just replace them myself. After seeing your photo i'm hoping none of those connections broke.

6. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    How did you get on with the removal in the end? I’m going to attempt the same this morning. Also did you remove the colour decals off the tank etc? I’ve covered mine and am happy, but still trying to see if anyone has removed the decals!
    Cheers

7. Rimbo

Rimbo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2021
    West Sussex
    Just as an update and for anyone else who’s interested, it’s dead easy.
    1. Undo the indicator bolt
    2. Wiggle free the whole panel (side panel and black plastic vented piece that it’s screwed to) by pulling forward and backward gently. There’s a small plastic clip that holds it to a front bracket.
    3. Disconnect indicator wires.
    4. Unscrew the carbon piece (which was the but I wanted to change).
    5. Screw on replacement and just do the above in reverse order.
    Photo of the new panel (without the bright yellow flash which I wasn’t a fan of). cheers

D40AC6FB-0988-400B-8978-9BE0138127B1.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. E.C.Ewe

E.C.Ewe New Member

Feb 21, 2022
    UK
    I just had to remove and refit these tiny b*****d carbon side panels as I had to get to the top nuts of the radiator guard which lie beneath, to be able to move the radiator guard out of the way at the bottom so I could then access the top bolt securing the oil cooler to fit an Evotech oil cooler guard. Who ever at Triumph designed the fixings for these carbon side infill panels should be fired. They are awful to get off and put back on. Anyway all back together now and fully guarded.

• Like Like x 1