Shout Out To Tec

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Jerry Winder, Mar 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    Sometime last year I bought a rack for my Street Scrambler from TEC but due to having the fender removal kit fitted to my scrambler, fitting the rack would foul the indicators so I put it to one side to think about possible solutions.

Well today I bit the bullet and whipped the fender removal kit off a refitted the original mudguard. I went to fit the rack and realised that I've misplaced all the fittings. I've recently had a new roof on the garage and had to move everything out while the builders were in so the fittings could be anywhere.

A quick call to TEC, I explained the situation and they're sending me out a fitting kit tomorrow morning free of charge. Happy days, you can't fault customer service like that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    some companies get customer service, awesome stuff! :)

3. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I know some here have issues with Tec, but I am not among them, yet. So far so good as far as my dealings with them. A decent product at a fair price!

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    No question George gets 11/10 for his customer service.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Nice to hear that, yet again, George is recognised as going that extra mile for his customers :heart::heart:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    From the mud people
    Could i just ask, what fittings.i purchased one and fitted it with my own bolts as there was none. I did inform them of this but worried im missing anything.

7. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    As I remember there are definitely 2 bolts that attach the rack at the front to the inside of the frame by the top of the shocks where the Triumph frame attaches, and possibly the other 4 as per the bolts that come with the bike but slightly longer which are the four that I'm guessing you've used. There are no bolts with the standard bike to attach the rack to the inside of the frame so you might be missing them.

8. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    I have had loads of issues with TEC, I would now only buy from him if I had too but happy to hear he gets some customers stuff right.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    While we're talking TecBike, let me ask if anyone else has the centerstand on a scrambler. I bought one a while ago and just now got around to the install. Mine doesn't fir. the supplied stop is bizzare and holds my stand way too low, in my opinion. In all fairness, in order to get both feet on the ground, I installed Bonnie shocks to lower the bike. Tec says the stand is made for unmodified bikes, Is the problem? I guess i'll just have to eat the stand. Too bad for me because I really wanted one fitted on my bike, but I can live without it. any opinions or options?

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

When I fitted mine to my speedmaster George at TEC told me that it would need adjusting with a file or grinder until it sat properly in the up position :confused:
    It took me 3 attempts until I was happy with it :)
    Bit of a faff I know but I’m happy with it now :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Sounds like it was not fit for purpose?
    Like most TeC stuff in my opinion!:mad:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Bizarre, you’d think being parts sold for particular bikes would fit without grinding etc. My beef with TEC was I bought the front fork spring upgrade and first off the wrong springs were sent, when the replacements arrived there were no spacers, trying to get advice from him was impossible however my cousin (Rudeboy) who didn’t buy anything was getting advice left right and centre, I was in need of advice so I pulled George up on it and although I still had to pressure him for the advice he did acknowledge his error in recognising the difference in our first names.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

At the end of the day TEC supply pattern parts :confused:
    From experience pattern parts often throw up one or two problems :(
    I suppose with my back ground I’m fortunate enough to be able to work round them :)
    If you’re not familiar with wielding the spanner’s then yes of course something that’s meant to fit straight on can be frustrating if it needs additional adjustment :(

14. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Tend to disagree there "DilliDilliDownInOne"! If you are selling products to a niche market they should both fit the motorcycle, and be fit for purpose!

Most of TeC's products are sourced in the far east, consequently tolerances are somewhat sloppy. Their products are priced attractively, as they have no R&D costs, due to direct copies of the proper fitting parts. I suspect once you have started filing and grinding said parts, longevity will not be great.

A case of the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice" prevails.
    The only support I got from TeC was, send it back if you are not happy, not always what you want to hear when you have stripped your bike, to try and fit their "sh1te" products!

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That’s exactly my point mate :confused:
    Priced attractively :)
    Buy cheap buy twice???:confused:
    Or buy cheap and with a little patience and perseverance save a shit load of money :p especially when you look at Triumph prices :eek:

16. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Trouble is "DilliDiliDownInOne", that not everyone has got your fine manual dexterity:kissing_heart:, let alone the tools or workshop to rectify the ill fitting components.
    Fitting a centre stand should be a piece of piss! But not when you have got to start filing, grinding the bastard thing to fit!:eek::rolleyes::p:(

• Like Like x 1
  17. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Spooky just got an email from TEC
    Seems they have abandoned the cam venture

We have decided to stop all development and production on our water-cooled Triumph cams
    Firstly, we would like to say thanks to everyone for being so patien regarding news on the cams we were hoping to produce. A lot of you have been excitedly waiting for any further news about them so that makes it all the harder for us to have to say that we have decided to finish all development on them. We are sorry that it has ended up with this situation but we will explain briefly why we have done so and hopefully you will understand how we have reached this difficult decision.

In 2017 we had figured out the restricting factor on the new Triumph models and were working behind the scenes to bring a product to market that would bypass this and unleash the true potential of these bikes. We put a video up on our YouTube channel explaining this and our plans for a new camshaft. We were recommended to use a well-known UK cam manufacturer and initially placed an order for 100 cams.

We had been promised that the work would only take 6 weeks so went ahead and began planning for thorough testing of the part and quality control regime for the part. We gave our customers a release date that was generous in comparison to what we had been quoted for the production time. Unfortunately these dates were missed on production repeatedly and we had to keep pushing things back. When we got the final sample of the cam that was to be released there were a number of manufacturing errors on the cam that meant it was impossible to fit.

This meant they had to be returned and we were set back another few weeks. We eventually got the adjusted cams back but once we tried to fit them we found there were still a number of errors with the cams. This meant that they did not pass our quality control and may have caused damage to engines.

With a part that needs to be so precisely engineered we were no longer happy to proceed with this manufacturer as we had lost confidence in them producing an accurate enough part. We would never want to sell something to our customers that we knew could jeopardise their bikes and potentially cause thousands of pounds in damage.

We have been unable to get realistic quotes from other UK cam manufacturers. We are reluctant to use a overseas manufacturer considering the issues we have had so far. We have racked our brains but cannot see a way to make it work. Coupled with the fact that we have not got a clear idea of how the cams will effect your warranties meant that we have decided that we are going to stop development of this part.

We were happy to release the information out into the public domain. We have put almost a years work into this project and have not ended it lightly and hope this information is of use to you.

Again, we are sorry that this is the outcome, we hate to disappoint our customers but hope you can see why we could not proceed with this project.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. destination

destination Member

May 12, 2017
    leicestershire
    I have a TEC centre stand and rack, the stand is fine but I am a little disappointed that the rack is going rusty after less than 6 months