Should I ?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by russ_fae_fyvie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. russ_fae_fyvie

russ_fae_fyvie New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Fyvie, Aberdeenshire
    #1 russ_fae_fyvie, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Hi

I thought I'd join the Forum because I am looking for some unbiased opinions about whether I should buy a Storm ?

OK, so maybe not much unbiased !

I have been riding since 1970 on a variety of bikes and currently own a Blackbird, CB1000r and a Transalp.

I have actually just swapped the TA for my 2012 Crosstourer which, although a great bike, is too tall and unweildly so the TA was bought to use during the upcoming Scottish winter and also to use around the narrow roads across on the West Coast.

So to my point (finally!)

I was looking for something that I can take my missus on for touring holidays but I didn't want a tourer then last week somebody parked an LT next to me at work and I reckon it looked fantastic, however I am now more attracted to the Storm because most of its life would be spent with just me on it but by the lookes of it with a few additions woucl be turned into a part time tourer.

Problem is, none of my previous bikes have been of the feet forward variety and although the bike looks supremely comfortable and laid back (with the power of course!) I wondered if anyone had found riding this style of bike more difficult than a 'normal' bike.

Locally there are very few to test ride and I'd be reluctant to try one straight off without some advice from real life owners, not just salesmen !

Also wondered what they are like to live with on a daily basis and if there are any problems to look out for on a 2 or 3 year old bike?

thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #2 folkbloke, Oct 1, 2014
    I'm also considering a Thunderbird at the moment! I have an America which has served me well over the past year but the lure of that extra power is proving very strong......

I've ridden several now. The 1600, Storm, LT and a Commander and really liked all of them. Despite the weight it's very easy to ride and handles far better than any bike that size has a right to.

Excellent fuel range and the engine is wonderful. Loads of torque (as you'd expect) and a very relaxing ride that will be ideal for touring.

As far as day to day riding goes the only downside I found when I had one for a whole day was that it's a big heavy bike to move around at walking pace. I found that sitting on the bike and paddling it was the easiest way. I did some motorway, A roads, B roads and a lot of town work and had no real problems with it although there was one hairpin bend that was a bit "technical" :wink:

If I went for either the 1600 or Storm I'd put footboards on as I found it a bit of a stretch to the pegs. The Commander and LT both have the boards as standard. They also have the most comfortable seats I've ever had on a bike. A pity they are so expensive.......

The feet forward position can seem a little odd to begin with and some people never really take to it. I did and can't see me ever owning another style of bike now. I tend to ride a bit slower than I did on my Tiger but at my age that's no bad thing. I enjoy the America far more than I did the Tiger and have no regrets about giving up that type of machine.

I think that you either like cruisers or you don't and if you like them the TB is one of the best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    #3 JACKO, Oct 1, 2014
    Hi Russ

Not much info on this site, as i don't think they are that many Thunderbird storm owners here! There are plenty of vids on YouTube but mostly American owners. I love this as the bike is far nicer than a Harley. Ha Ha and a Triumph!

Anyway I bought my 2014 storm in August and have covered 1060 miles already and absolutely love it!

I have always owned sports bikes and I traded a excellent 2011 speed triple for my storm, I suffered aching wrists and numbness even on the speed so it had to go.

I too love the look of the mean storm and bought it without even taking a test ride, daft I know but it just felt right somehow.

The initial day of pick up I was a little worried about the riding position and forward footrests, but after 30 miles riding and learning to sit back in the seat it all made sense.

Pulling away and stopping were a bit strange but it soon gets better. Now im used to the bike the pegs feel more central to the bike. Also the heavy weight of the bike is soon a doodle as the weight is so low and you get your feet flat on the floor.

You will be surprised how easy to ride they are and how well balanced the bike is, the handling is great and they corner well. Easy to scrape pegs on islands.

It just slow speed riding I took a little time to adjust to. Good clutch and rear brake control and learning to pick your feet up as soon as you move off helps a lot. I practiced in a car park.

Think of the storm as a muscle bike rather than a cruiser, but the bike is happy chugging along 2up as it is nailing it.

The engine is a migty mill, and the sheer shove will make you grin like a nutter. The brakes are good and ride refined. The early storms from 2011 didn't get ABS, which I think is worth having on big heavy bike it is, just extra reassurance.

I also like to take my missus on ride, but word of warning the standard pillion seat is useless!

I bought the dual touring seat triumph do at £255 and it is well worth it, for both rider and pillion.

Also I got the triumph sissy bar and rack which is quick release when your solo. Expensive though!

The standard rider seat is okay and fairly comfy, but you sit lower and I found it more effort to change gear, and use rear brake, so I like the dual touring seat better.

I also fitted the shorty exhaust system which sounds much better than the standard cans.

Make sure you measure your gate or shed door as the bars are wide, and the footrests are equally wide too. I have to fold mine up and take my gate off to get it round the back of my house.

I would go and try one and see for yourself

Cheers Pete

• Like Like x 1
  4. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Also the storm is lighter than the LT and commander, but shame it didnt get their seat as standard!

Believe or not but the seat is the airbox lid! So nowhere to store your bits and pieces. Tool kit is an allen key and Cspanner for the rear shocks. That's it tool wise.

Everything about the bike is chunky and well made. The finish is good and I would think a 2 year old bike be mint if well cared for.

Even the mirrors are nicely finished and work well.

The clutch and gearbox are the best I have ever come across, so quick short shifts are part of the fun riding on the wave of torque, which is immense.

I could go on how great the bike is, but it's personal preference and being honest about what you need performance wise. The storm has it all for me.

Don't rule out the America or Speedmaster they are cracking machines also.

• Like Like x 2
  5. russ_fae_fyvie

russ_fae_fyvie New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Fyvie, Aberdeenshire
    Thanks for that guys, just what I wanted to know especially about the pillion coz I had seen photos of the touring seat and wondered if it was much better, will help to heve SWMBO on my side when looking !

Think I'm gonna have to see iff the local Trumpet Dealer can let me loose on one but I know a Storm came in last week and went within a day !

Cheers !!

• Like Like x 2