Scrambler Should I Leave The Optmate On

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Lanerider, Oct 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lanerider

Lanerider Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2019
    west yorks
    Hi guys and gals i have a 2019 street scrambler that is in winter hibernation should i leave my optimate plugged in till easter . Will it do any harm thank you

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You’ll be fine, they’re designed to automatically switch into maintain mode once the battery has been fully charged. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Is it a lithium battery on the Scrambler. If so make sure it is a lithium charger.
    An expensive error I made with the Africa twin :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Oh, I am so glad I just read this, I had no idea you had to use a special charger for lithium, my new race bike has one & that could have been an expensive mistake! :eek:
    Thanks @SleepyOwl now off to google lithium battery chargers! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lanerider

Lanerider Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2019
    west yorks
    its a lead acid so all ok .... phew

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    You could also put one of those plug in timers between the charger and power supply and set it to only come on for a set amount of time each day.
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    I personally also like to start the bike and run it in gear (centre/paddock stand) frequently for around ten minutes to stop the fuel gumming up the injectors etc and move the chain. I disconnect the optimate to start the bike and then re-connect and leave switched on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    Not sure your doing your self any favours here mate. starting your bike and just have it running for 10 mins or so wont help the battery at all, it needs constant revs at around 3 tho to increase the voltage enough to put the power back in you lose from starting it, and the lights running. the petrol gum is ethanol, so unless you clean your petrol and leave that in your tank, personally id either drain it all out, or add a conditioner.
    i may do a post on how to clean petrol of ethanol, if your interested

• Useful Useful x 3
  9. thebigbail

thebigbail Member

May 31, 2019
    Prince George
    I guess it varies by region and supplier, but in Saskatchewan we can get premium gas with 0% ethanol. Makes it so much easier to maintain all the gas engines. The mid and low grades here typically all have some ethanol.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Aye, that would be interesting.

11. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    ok, i will put in the tech section

12. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    That's the way it is in the States also. I pay a premium price for my gas, but is readily available ethanol free and well worth it to avoid the pitfalls!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    What happened like mate, think my thunderbird has a lithium battery in it and its on a charger as we speak!?!?!?!?!?! :cold_sweat: