Should I get a Legend?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Bob Chambers, Dec 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Currently have a TB 1600, and it's great, but very heavy for tooling around and short rides. I was looking at a Tiger 800 as a second bike, but a '99 Legend came along at what seems to be a bargain. Only 19K miles. I've read a bit about them; basically a bare bones T-Bird of the day.
    So what are the things to watch out for? Any inherent problems? They were only made a few years, though the 'Bird continued for a few more.
    Any input would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    You are right, Bob. The Legend is a basic T/Bird with a slightly lower seat height, so try before you buy. Most people will think that they are looking at a standard T/Bird anyway!:p
    Generally bullet proof and over engineered as per all the original T300 engines but with the usual warning about the starter sprag clutch. A good quality/well charged battery should prevent any such problems.
    Keep it serviced properly and all will (should!) be well.
    (My '95 Trident 900 now has just short of 50,000 miles on the clock and still runs well!):):cool:

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Beautiful bike.

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Agree with all of the above - basically has black engine casings and not chrome. May have slightly different suspension set up hence lower seat height.

5. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Well, the seller made me a deal I couldn't refuse. $1500 for a very presentable '99 Legend. Although it needs tires and carb work & a miss to be sorted out, it should be no big deal though. I got it home and immediately started dismantling it. Gonna lose the stock airbox for pods, stock tires for dual sports, and get some wider handlebars for a bit of adventure riding. There are plenty of paved roads that turn to gravel around my area that I usually turn around and go back with my T-Bird 1600. Now I'll get to explore a bit more.

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent news Bob, I look forward to hearing more about your new baby.

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Good one Bob. Good luck with the fiddling and look forward to seeing the results

8. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm going to see if the PO will send me some pics of "before". It was raining the day I brought it home and I started taking it apart the next day before I thought to take pics.
    I just finished R&R spark plugs. They looked pretty good, except there were 2 NGKs and 1 Champion. Kinda doubt if this could have been causing the miss, but when I get the tank back on after lunch, I'll find out. Whatever you guys do, don't forget to unscrew & remove the little ends on the spark plugs, or you'll get twice the joyful experience! :rolleyes:
    Also flushed the brake fluid. Rear was terrible, front not as bad, but the clutch hyd fluid appears to have never been changed! Flushed coolant, and it was pure brown.
    Neglecting a motorcycle should have similar punishment as child neglect: foster home until the thug is rehabilitated!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Got it back together... somewhat... all but the air filter box. Not likely I'll ever use that again. Pods should be here in a few days. Started right up, but there's still a miss; in #1 cylinder. I'll try swapping around coils to see if that's the issue.
    I haven't messed with the carbs (Keihins) yet since I'll have to re-jet them for the pods anyway.
    QUESTION... I'm reading that 140 mains and 40 pilots are the way to go; is that for pods with stock mufflers? That's how they're gonna be, at least for the time being. Likely change mufflers someday, and don't mind redoing if I need to, but for now, there's other ways to spend my money on this.
    Legend 3.JPG
    Also I found these plugs behind the left side cover. One on left seems to be jumped across two pins, one on right goes nowhere. They do not fit together. Does anyone KNOW what they are?
    Legend plugs.JPG

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Not something to do with side stand cut out switch? Or clutch pull starter switch? I've heard if you want to do away with the hassle of them you disconnect them and jump it.

11. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Well now, that's a possibility. The sidestand switch is operable, but the clutch switch cutout is not.

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    yeah, what Bikerman says.

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    My T100 had that plug and the jumper leads. I was led to believe that it the set-up if you have a factory alarm fitted.

14. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    I did a valve clearance check today. All OK except #1 exhaust too tight by .05MM. I hope that's what caused the misfire!
    I'll run down to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully get the right one, but I'm still waiting on the carb jets & float needles anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Well, after the main jets were on back order from J&P, I finally found some 150s at the local Honda shop (more than double the price), I did get them in but after much cranking and head scratching, finally got the bike running again.
    But... this little item made me feel like an imbecile when I finally figured it out. I installed a nice glass fuel filter so I could keep an eye on fuel condition, and while I'm waiting on some clamps to come in to fasten it down, I left the supply hose long, and routed it from underneath the carb. I finally realized it is GRAVITY FED, and wouldn't feed it from underneath! DUH!
    When I finally rerouted the hose, she fired right up, and I ran it a few miles, just to stay nearby, come back and check for leaks & loose parts, etc. Ran great, despite not having synching the carbs yet. Can only get better. I'm waiting for the synch gauges too. (Oh... the joys of living in the sticks!)
    Photos will come soon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    My 2010 T100 had both a Triumph alarm and this 'dummy' plug.

17. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    #17 Bob Chambers, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Ran the bike yesterday for about 25 miles, staying pretty close to home. It died once (about 5 miles away); I know there was at least 1/2 gallon of gas in it, but after getting it restarted, I rode another 1/2 mile & filled the tank. Presto! no more problems, so I'm guessing the petcock is partially clogged. Selecting reserve seemed to have no affect, but sloshing the tank around did. I'll drain the tank and pull/clean the petcock.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    UPDATE
    Sure enough, the reserve pickup in the petcock was filthy; clogged with debris. I cleaned it out, and all is good. Also, I got my snych gauges today, so some fine tuning tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    Happy new year, guys! Nice chilly day today... about 44*. I put about 100 miles (on the T-Bird 1600) When I got back, I synched the Legend's carbs, and boy... did it smooth out! I'll ride it tomorrow, but I expect it'll fly!
    Then, I mounted the fuel filter and finally mounted the left side cover with rubber lined clamps (no more airbox to support it) I know... pictures will come soon.
    I ordered some dual sport tires, and I'm looking on a some wider handlebars; say from a Scrambler.

• Like Like x 1