Should I Ditch The Datatool S4?........

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by ChasChas, Oct 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    .... as a matter of course before it causes 18year old electrics problems?
    Is it a matter of a problem waiting to happen if I don't ditch it?

2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I had one on my MV F4 years ago, the bloody thing was a nightmare, ran the battery flat, disabled the ignition and caused mayhem. I was never a fan of alarms on bikes beforehand (I inherited the alarm when I bought the bike) but that was the last straw. I've never had an aftermarket alarm on any of my bikes since then. Junk the bloody thing, as you say its just a matter of time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I currently have a Meta alarm on the Z which was dealer installed from new and has been faultless even though I rarely use it. it's an alarm only as the bike has an OEM immobiliser, as most new bikes do so if the alarm developed a fault the bike would still start and run. Never even considered an alarm on the new SS. Some older alarms disabled the bike by some means. If the Datatool is one of these and goes t**s up you're stuck so I'd say get rid.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I Recently blanked mine off before the gremlins started, It was an annoyance to operate and could drain the battery if left for a period of time it also drove my MOT tester mad.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Yep, it's a complete pita when working on, shifting or even looking at the bike. And I have to remember to keep topping up the battery, it's a greedy bugger.
    Also I've had cars in the past that I've had to move on that were mechanically perfect but had accumulated a 'enough now' level of minor electronic issues.

There seems to be consensus on this issue.

You hear that? There is consensus on something. IT'S A HAPPY FORUM :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    You only have to break wind next to it and it goes off and sometimes being an old git I could not remember what button to press and the ruddy thing would go off like a banshee.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Older bikes, I always dump the alarm and immobiliser - a problem waiting to happen and they make sod all difference if someone really wants your bike.

DS

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    not had an alarm on any of my bikes since 2009
    they always causing issues with the bike and are pointless as no-one pays any attention to alarms
    if you are really that concerned or need to do something to get your insurance down, get a tracker

• Agree Agree x 1