Shortage Of New Bikes

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Wessa, Feb 10, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had a run out on the tiger today, calling at my local triumph dealership (Bill Smiths). Chatted about how things were going in general and the availability of new bikes.
    My guy was saying that they were struggling to get their allocation of bikes from Triumph, with waiting list for new bikes being the middle of the year. How are things things in your area of the country/world?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I was talking to someone last month who said that a Honda dealership had told him the same, especially with 125s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I take it this is because of chip shortages? On another note, I'm looking to build a PC (aint giving apple 2.5K)! I can build a more powerfull machine for less than half that. Graphics cards are hard to get currently. Apparently due to chip shortages, but more so, people are buying them up for crypto mining. It's so much of an issue now manufacturers are building software into them (low hash rate) to make them less appealing for crypto mining while not affecting performance for anything else.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I think you are correct @andyc1 chip shortages are one of the main reasons.
    Be interesting to see what impact on second hand/used bikes prices once they get the new bikes moving again, as prices are well up this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Same with cars. Our Ford dealer told us it would be six to eight months for our new Focus to be delivered. On the flip side we were offered a crazy high px deal on the 15-reg Focus we're upgrading as used prices are very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I had a long wait for my Tiger 850 last year and I think their next one was arriving at the dealership in March this year. The dealer said the problem with the bikes was that the shipping containers have ended up in the wrong places.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    When not on here I spend some time on the Evoque forum, lots of angry potential customers on there. The last 6 months or so what you get might not be what you ordered "take it or leave it", Land Rover are building cars with tech missing just to get them out for sale and the dealers know if the orderer rejects it they can sell it tomorrow to someone else. Land Rover are no longer building to 2022 specs (the model/options list is mind boggling) so customers that ordered about 6 months ago are now being told their order is cancelled and they need to reorder to 2023 specs which have less tech and higher price and start another lengthy wait. The only good news being that the chip shortage is apparently starting to ease,....... and if you already have a fairly recent model you can probably sell it at a profit (several on the forum have done).
    My local dealer recently emailed me offering to cash buy back my 4yr old full spec Evoque, they know they can sell it for a fast profit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I have no idea what you're talking about..graphic cards? Crypto mining? Hash rate? What language is this?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Cards with bold bloody pictures.
    Mining in crypts (like graves), think Egyptian tomb robbing.
    The rate at which you can eat hash browns.
    Are you effing stupid ?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Ah, of course, bleedin' obvious now. Wish I was as clever as you ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I already had a similar conversation with my dealer in the summer of 2021. He has already received at that time the rejection on the part of Triumph that he will receive his desired contingent of machines. He was told that he will receive a maximum of 50% of the desired number of units for 2022. He has therefore from this time all machines "bought together" the market offered. In addition, he also spoke of a significant price increase of approx. 15%, which has since occurred. That's why I and my wife ordered our additional T120's in late summer for the spring of 2022 at the 2021 price.On the used bike market there is also a striking price increase. I could sell today my TIGER 1200 from August 2020 with +26,000 km currently at the original price at that time!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    You know that strikes me as peculiar as i have advertised my immaculate Spirit of 59 Bonnie for a couple of months now at what i think is a fair price considering it has all the add ons. I only had one tyre kicker on the phone who didn't even come to view. So my 660 has had to go on the back burner.
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    New bikes, new cars?
    I've only ever had 2 brand new bikes on in 1972 and the last in 1981.
    Never had a new car in my life.
    I understand that people like new things, but I can get by quite happily with their cast offs, I'm clearly easily pleased.
    I can't see me looking to buy a new bike ever again
    Horses for courses, of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well at least landrover will be known for better reliability :rolleyes: once they dump the none working electrical gadgets and computer chips!! Heheheh :p:poop:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    But they only need to work for a few weeks whilst the owner shows their mate all of the things it can do, but will not be used!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That made me laugh BECAUSE ITS TRUE!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    So true. My motor will self park. Only used it twice in three years to show the grandsons.

18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Have you tried seeing what Bulldogs will offer you if prices of new and secondhand have increased as much as people say?

19. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Used car prices up 30% compared to last year. In March 1 in every 3 cars bought were Electric. Scrap prices are flying high too.

20. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #20 Col_C, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    And things are only going to get worse thanks to EU rules making systems compulsory for new cars coming through in the next few years, they will be virtually autonomous. "Assisted" - lane keeping, braking, cruise control, and max speed capping. :rolleyes:
    Drivers will be paying even less attention to their driving, watch out guys!! (& gals)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1